Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview TC Preview: Chaos Reborn, or how I learned to continue to hate Kickstarter.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know what you mean by "turn-based for the sake of turn-based." It's a turn-based game. So it has turn-based mechanics. That's it. There's a rekindling of interest in turn-based games right now and the market is absolutely there. Gameplay is not the issue with why this Kickstarter is lurching like it is.
I think what he's saying is that the "issue" is that it's just gameplay.
Exactly.
A game like that will just never immerse me.

Well, right now it's just showcasing the heads-up/vs. aspect of it. Of course it's just gameplay. That's what most multiplayer games are. It just sounds like a nonsequitur more than a critique, IMO. You either like the gameplay or you don't, but to blame it for being "just gameplay" is like... missing the point from the first step. Considering we're talking about games, having something just be gameplay seems alright to me.
I'm not criticizing the game at all.
I'm just saying that I have no interest in purely competitive TB games that do not really offer anything other than the core gameplay, no matter how good that may be. The "huge single player campaign" sounds to me like a very loose connection of many 20 minute matches after each other. And honestly, I don't see how a game with a graphic like that would manage to immerse me in a world or story. This is a game for people that like to play chess. I don't like to play chess.
And I'm saying that I think many others also feel that way, hence the "slow" KS campaign. Which is certainly no fault of KS, but of the game concept having no "mass" appeal like a Project Eternity or Star Citizen.

By now it has collected 180k and 33 hourse are left, so they're doing much better than I would have thought such a game would do.
All is fine. I'm actually happy such a good designer can make a he game loves to make. Who knows, maybe his next will be more to my liking ;)

Dehumanizer

Educated
The "huge single player campaign" sounds a lot like the MicroProse Magic: the Gathering game to me. You start with a small "deck" of spells, and go around challenging enemy wizards (getting new spells from them), doing quests, evolving your main character, and so on.

ColCol

Arcane
Played two matches, started blind, I lost the first but won the second. Love what I witnessed so far. Matches have been really tense. Winning mach was between me using a large number of summons and another wizard relying heavily on direct effect spells. I thought he was going to win at first, but a spell I used randomly (magic bow) clinched my victory when I gained/moved to high ground.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The playable prototype didn't harm anything. Chaos is just not a "hot brand".
No, but X-COM is. JG could have hyped this as the new game from the creator of original X-COM, named best game ever by These Prestigious Gaming Mags (list of accolades) and then list the features (which he knew will be in the game, because they already are) and spice them with some neat concept art.

The game created this way in people's imagination would be much better than the current alpha demo (because it just works like this), and they would be more likely to back it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
JG could have hyped this as the new game from the creator of original X-COM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co
cr.png

:hmmm:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But then he showed the game to everyone and it was nothing like X-COM, so people said 'meh' and went away.

If he did not do that, the game would be like X-COM in their heads.

Of course, all the power to him for being honest and showing the actual game to everyone, but marketing-wise honesty is not the best trait out there.

Nevertheless, game looks interesting and some honesty is refreshing for once.

Less focus and $$$ on marketing means more towards actually developing the game.

I have played over 100 matches so far, really enjoying it.

Any good videos on it? More details, pros, cons etc. you could post?

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have played over 100 matches so far, really enjoying it.
Any good videos on it? More details, pros, cons etc. you could post?

I didn't tape it, but my impression is that this is on eof the game that I dreamed of playing since I was a kid and someone finally did it right.

Like it has been said, it plays like chess with random components that make sense for anyone with familiarity with fantasy settings. The fact that your spells are never the same at any match makes it very interesting to learn and develop strategies for any set of spells. There is almost never a situation where you are screwed and completely out of options of spells and attacks if you know what you are doing, the illusion thing is wonderful, also the equipment of your wizard making him an unstoppable killing machine. Another good point is the different types of maps which make for different strategies/tactics work best on each map. Matches are really short and intense, lasting about 5~10 minutes and, currently, playing the next match is only 1~2 minutes away. The only cons I see is people looking for an RPG/Story here. That's not what this game is about. It's about wizard duels (or team matches). Since it's a browser game playing on a tab, it's the perfect game to play while shoutboxing or lightly browsing the internet in general.

ColCol

Arcane
Man, this is one of the few games that really meets my craving for wizard duels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom