Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Tavernking's CRPG Megaadventure

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Here is my CRPG Megadventure. I am developing my own RPG currently, so I thought it best to enlighten myself on the classic RPGs of ancient times. This will be a long perilous journey, but I look forward to making many friends along the way and having all kinds of adventures.

The current plan is
Baldurs Gate EE => Siege of Dragonspear => Baldur's Gate II EE => Icewind Dale EE => Icewind Dale II => Pillars of Eternity (including White March expansions) => Pillars of Eternity II

My previous RPG experience:
- 300 hours of Skyrim (complete)
- 20 hours of Pillars of Eternity (incomplete)
- 5 hours of Chrono Trigger (incomplete)
- 1 hour of Baldurs Gate
- 1 hour of Baldurs Gate II

4NKDQml.jpg

So let's begin.

Dteu9fh.jpg

It took me three attempts but I finally finished the tutorial of the game. I was supposed to cast the elevenmage's spell of gibbering on my tutorial instructor (whom has magical resistance), not myself. So now I was ready to begin my Baldur's Gate adventure! I have already played up to the Nashkel Mines with a similar character (about 1 hour of gametime).

ZHbNe3O.jpg

Tavernking: Dashingly handsome, he's so strong and muscular, when he's shirtless he makes the maidens squeal. All the girls talk about him because he's so perfect, and because he's very popular among his fellow scholars at Candlekeep.

a26L7vk.jpg

Candlekeep was a bit boring because I'ld already played through it before. I loved this first quest, felt like a very easy way to ease your way into becoming a killing machine, one day you're smashing harmless rats to a pulp the next you're slaughtering innocent peasants by the hundreds!

h8skLTQ.jpg

Tavernking gets annoyed by the lazy cats.

9sqqYL1.jpg

Imohen comes along for the adventure. I already knew this was going to happen but it still pissed me off anyway. I had an immense dislikement of Imohen the moment I met her.

ud4ktZH.jpg

I hope they're friendly to my 'other arm' as well if you know what I mean.

jHemvDn.jpg

FATHER NOOOOOO!!!

1qSsnlk.jpg

God damn it, I'll be giving you all the dangerous jobs then.

Jkjwc82.jpg

Ambushed by a fierce looking creature, I quickly talk to Montaron and Xzar so they can help me in the fight. This didn't happen on my first playthrough so I was quite surprised.

8uDD2JL.jpg

The creature is easily dispatched.

XmhuCTO.jpg

Loving the cutscenes in this game.

st10bOh.jpg

An assassin is easily killed. Yawn.

Su4K6Ej.jpg

Tavernking gets intimidated by an orc! Well, no need for mindless bloodshed.

dp5B8bE.jpg

The beautiful Jaheira gets flustered by Tavernking. She is immensely attracted it seems, trying to awkwardly draw attention from Tav's handsome looks.

Tav is also aroused, Jaheira is of fine genetic breeding material and is a potential wife!

nmhYFTG.jpg

Looks like the only male competition Tav has is a beta friendzoned stutterboy. This will be easy.

IzyCRNI.jpg

We travel South to Beregost.

szyPdlD.jpg

I didn't take the time to explore Beregost when I played one hour to the Nashkel Mines (I skipped it entirely), so I thought I might as well this time around.

CEIVJmI.jpg

Tav and his party get busted for snooping around.

4i0LEGE.jpg

Keep your distance, woman!

ccgBY7T.jpg

Great. I have no idea whether it's justified to hand her over or not. But the least I can do is try to relieve tensions and stop needless bloodshed.

PK36brP.jpg

Where's the 'show me some proof' button? Am I supposed to know what a 'Wild mage' is? I guess Ekandor, even if he's impatient, seems reasonable enough.

WkbvVvD.jpg

...I take that back.

WpFH2qk.jpg

Ekandor is teleported somewhere by Neera. We prepare to fight valiantly against his henchmen! Wait... where on earth is Montaron?

Q1bg0Ny.jpg

Montaron figured it'ld be a good idea to stay in the house and inspect the bed linen.

jk3eulx.jpg

Luckily it was an easy fight anyway.

e9Tlm1T.jpg

I have no need for Neera, and she leaves very upset that I didn't want a hunted Wild Mage teenage girl who doesn't even know what spells she knows how to cast in my party.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Let us see if you can beat the pace of 6 years set by MicoSelva when he LP'd BG 1 and 2. For some reason the images aren't loading despite being able to see them on imgur.

PS: going to give you a prosper for the 300 hours of skyrim.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The current plan is
Baldurs Gate EE => Siege of Dragonspear => Baldur's Gate II EE => Icewind Dale EE => Icewind Dale II => Pillars of Eternity (including White March expansions) => Pillars of Eternity II

My previous RPG experience:
- 300 hours of Skyrim (complete)
- 20 hours of Pillars of Eternity (incomplete)
- 5 hours of Chrono Trigger (incomplete)
- 1 hour of Baldurs Gate
- 1 hour of Baldurs Gate II

:lol::salute:

Tigranes

Arcane
Shit new cash grabs of ancient games good luck

Also imagea broken

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
NXBLixR.jpg

Every house seems to be locked in this town. And I suspect there's consequences for trying to pick a lock in broad daylight.

1AkF5ae.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

oS3fGPX.jpg

I get Xzar to use one of his Druid (please tell me he's a Druid right?) spells, I don't even know what it does because there's no hover mouse over information and right clicking does nothing. Montaron is nearly dead so I pull him back to safety.

jiuI1JX.jpg

The fight is over. Jaheira almost died too, that's two party members almost dead in an instant. That was some adrenaline filled action that I wasn't expecting! Tav figures whoever lives in this house owes him for taking care of the pest control problem, so he helps himself to some personal belongings.

vMyafW3.jpg

We need to rest, Tav heard from the commoners that the Feldepost's Inn was good.

goSGnJw.jpg

We don't want a fight, and he's just drunk anyway.

7onpfC8.jpg

We trade with the innkeeper, and sleep in the inn for two full nights to recover our strength.

KD1vVzL.jpg

Still exploring the town, we hear of a 5000 gold bounty for a beast. We'll come back for that later.

Clm2fj6.jpg

Sounds good.

2CmeFfg.jpg

eXhCPu9.jpg

60uNFsD.jpg

AGkHTIJ.jpg

God this game is hilarious. Sorry Garrick but I've got a full party and I don't even know what class you are.

xfx9I5G.jpg

We depart south for Nashkel. These ogres were no match.

PwARLgC.jpg

CyJM5tg.jpg

Inside the Nashkel Inn: we get ambushed by a lady called Neira... which now that I think about it seems awfully similar to Neera. Sisters? I get Xzar to cast some kind of entanglement spell, IT AFFECTS EVERYBODY. Even random onlookers are wrapped by the vines that have sprung up from under the cracks of the wooden plank floor. I did not expect that.

sQG2Guq.jpg

Neira is killed.

C0ozx94.jpg

And everyone is still entangled...

Di6nBst.jpg

Still entangled...

X0ciAfe.jpg

O1JXY4u.jpg

There we go. Yep, not using that spell ever again.

EvqdWE7.jpg

Xzar and Montaron the bed linen inspector depart. They were cannon fodder anyway. We get some kind of unarmed monk, so I buy him a Ninjato. He's a bit weird, but seems like a well-mannered respectable kind of character.

qIiIsPS.jpg

The mayor tells us to descend into the Mines south of here.

sq39StM.jpg

Crazy animal talker called Minsc joins our party. I don't like him. Infact, I'm starting to warm up to Imohen now. She hasn't said anything annoying for at least the last thirty minutes. She has earned my friendliness.

v20Tmfd.jpg

Red Mage tells us to be his stupid hirelings, I think not.

qNPRao9.jpg

Hello, Noober!

5skshVa.jpg

Oh god.

TnNFzhY.jpg

Ambushed!

7lQA0vA.jpg

The half-orc from the tavern shows up out of nowhere and kills three of the bandits. Together we slew his old friends.

2SHuEc9.jpg

I half expected him to turn aggressive and try to kill me when he asked who I was.

huJExaF.jpg

It was a tough decision but I decided to kick Minsc the sociopath out of the party and take Dorn. Not an easy choice but really I'm just going for the least annoying characters at the moment.

OKAY I fully get that Dorn is evil, he's overly edgy, probably had a fucked up childhood, probably the product of a brutal rape... But helping an evil bandit kill evil bandits is ultimately an act of good right? I don't know anything about this game, maybe I can convert him to the good side later.

LKw76KV.jpg

At last! The Nashkel Mines. I died the last time I came here, then I raged quit. So once I beat this dungeon I truly have no idea what to expect from this game and it's sequel and the Dragonspear expansion. Here goes nothing.

QiAFOOd.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I have been playing Baldur's Gate on and off for a few months now. The funnest part was the start of the game, but my gameplay experience has gradually gone downhill. I internally debated writing this post, but I must give my true thoughts.

Everybody who likes this game likes it because they have rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, or because they're one of those weird guy who likes playing old retro games so they can feel like a 'cultured gamer' or some bullshit. This game is shit compared to Pillars of Eternity. The entire time I was playing this shit game the only thing that kept me going was the thought of continuing playing my characters in PoE. PoE is superior to Baldur's Gate in every way except for sheer amount of content.

The final straw was when I got the 'paws of the cheetah' boots which doubled my already fast speed. My main character was speeding around the battlefield like he was drugged up on cocaine. Like a fucking psychopath, he'ld even do this in the city streets. It was ridiculous and totally threw out my immersion, ruining the game for me. I tried to 'man up' and look past it so that I could earn the approval of a niche subforum on a niche RPG website, but I could go no longer. 20 hours into this piece of shit and 20+ hours of my life wasted. I'm going to play games I enjoy.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to reinstall Skyrim and Pillars of Eternity, buy Divinity OS:2 for christmas and wait until Deadfire releases.

Uncle Skull

Educated
The final straw was when I got the 'paws of the cheetah' boots which doubled my already fast speed. My main character was speeding around the battlefield like he was drugged up on cocaine. Like a fucking psychopath, he'ld even do this in the city streets. It was ridiculous and totally threw out my immersion, ruining the game for me.

Good thing Bethesda takes care that the player's immersion is never broken :lol:

MYahiK4.gif

I tried to 'man up' and look past it so that I could earn the approval of a niche subforum on a niche RPG website...

Why, tough?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Tavernking I can assure you that, as a millennial who was born after this game was even released, I have no rose-tinted glasses for this game. I'm also the kind of person who doesn't want to be a "cultured gamer" as you put it (seriously, what in the Hell does that even mean?), as I am the kind of person who plays Skyrim, on occasion Oblivion, etc. Yet, your complaints tend to be inane and ridiculous. The Paws of the Cheetah essentially give you perma-Haste on just movement speed. Literally your character was walking according to his perception. This is, and will continue to be for a long time I think, one of my favorite games. PoE has nothing on it. I can tolerate a lot of mediocrity but PoE just left me bored after at most an hour or two.

Tigranes

Arcane
This dude should be very happy that there's a bunch of people who constantly complain POE should have a walking mode because it's so fucking immersion breaking that you run around that they'd like to crawl at the speed of a European Union legislation

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom