Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tasteful Understated Nerdrage/MrBtongue Thread

Murk

Arcane
I think I fall in line with Brother None's approach of a numberless rating system. I'm more interested to see some detailed description of features (and bugs) and how they work out. I'd rather read a few paragraphs than look at 3 numbers and an average of the 3. I fear often people think that by quantifying something they somehow bestow some semblance of objectivity to it.

Delterius

Arcane
I think I fall in line with Brother None's approach of a numberless rating system. I'm more interested to see some detailed description of features (and bugs) and how they work out. I'd rather read a few paragraphs than look at 3 numbers and an average of the 3. I fear often people think that by quantifying something they somehow bestow some semblance of objectivity to it.
Naturally, its good that the Codex's review don't feature scores. And I hope the future contributions refrain from doing so. But the score was just an analogy to the most superficial perception people create about each product. What I meant to say is that there's no reason not to aprehend average or mediocre games as what they are -- at the most optmistic the sites of good ideas with bad implementation -- which is, after all, the Codex's MO when it comes to those certain 'rough gems' that made their way to the top of each poster's top ten games.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roger Ebert went with a 4 star rating when most movie reviewers were using 5 star systems because he wanted to force himself to have an opinion on whether something was good or bad. He didn't want to give himself the "out" of saying it was perfectly average. Something to think about.

Murk

Arcane
Delterius, I get ya; My own comments are really aimed more at IGN or other places that offer a small amount of depth when discussing content and then slap some numbers on things.

I do agree that there are plenty of "it's decent" games; to me that's what NWN OC or Lionheart was. "If you're into the genre, you might enjoy it -- otherwise, play something better."

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I always found the whole "overall" ratting system pointless. Much better in my opinion to break down a game into graphics/sound/gameplay/bugs/drm/story kind of thing. That way a person would be able to judge on individual features rather than some arbitrary opinion of an anonymous stranger. At least to a certain degree, obviously something like story is pretty hard to define into good or bad as a lot of that comes down to personal taste and how familiar an individual actual is with the setting, it can still be briefly mentioned however. Things like bugs, audio, and gameplay can just be discretely described, letting a person decide for themselves if that's something they would enjoy or not.

A numbered system is at best a placeholder for a smiley face or a frown, these days being completely meaningless due to Dorito bribe's. Having a 1-10 numbered system is just meaningless, how much better is a 7 over an 6? Is that 7 always equal to the same enjoyment from game to game? Does having an incredible sound track change the score from 4 to 6 if the rest of the game is shitty. You cannot really have a rating system when the ratings don't men anything specific... the whole thing just becomes teh emohtions of the reviewer at the time of writing the review.

But there is such a thing as a 5/10 = average and unremarkable. The sort of game that might please people who like a genre in its specificity but lacks an extra oomph or competence that makes it truly worth recommending. The sort which, with a little bit more effort could lead to a rough gem.

In other words, "good for what it is". We use the term ironically here but I think it adequately describes that sort of game.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the eyes of modern game journalists and their fans, "good for what it is" would probably be 7.5/10

I agree with most here that a numbered rating system doesn't work well.

But I do think it shouldn't be removed without any replacement. I think a simple "Do I recommend it or not" type question at the end would be best.
In the same way as half in the bag does with their movie reviews.

Delterius

Arcane
But there is such a thing as a 5/10 = average and unremarkable. The sort of game that might please people who like a genre in its specificity but lacks an extra oomph or competence that makes it truly worth recommending. The sort which, with a little bit more effort could lead to a rough gem.

In other words, "good for what it is". We use the term ironically here but I think it adequately describes that sort of game.
And sometimes we have to appreciate the irony that there are a lot of games in a codexer's pantheon which are 'good for what it is'. Things which won their position merely because of an awesome yet not perfectly implemented idea in the middle of a lot of shit. A lot of people here pay lip service to things like ToEE and Arcanum which I'd be ashamed of recommending to anyone but a die hard fan of TB and 3rd ed D&D; or someone I know can see the good in Arcanum's torrent of shitty encounter design.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
And sometimes we have to appreciate the irony that there are a lot of games in a codexer's pantheon which are 'good for what it is'. Things which won their position merely because of an awesome yet not perfectly implemented idea in the middle of a lot of shit. A lot of people here pay lip service to things like ToEE and Arcanum which I'd be ashamed of recommending to anyone but a die hard fan of TB and 3rd ed D&D; or someone I know can see the good in Arcanum's torrent of shitty encounter design.
I don't count Arcanum or ToEE even as "good for what it is". I count them as simply bad with some good ideas. I see Fallout as "good for what it is".

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Meh this guy. Too much talk about little stuff. Make a fucking powerpoint with bullet points and spend 30 sec on each one when you have a boring voice like this.

And fuck anyone that bitches about nekkid cards in Witcher. OMG NEKKID GRRLS, I MIGHT GET A BONER OOOH NOOEEZ

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
New video? Fucking finally. I was worried this guy was as dead as MCA's Arcanum LP.

EDIT:
BTW, this thread should probably be moved to General Gaming.

Ninjerk

Arcane
There's a scene used from TTSS that they obviously couldn't have running around. Ironically, it made me want to watch the movie.

Drax

Arcane
Lucky me I downloaded the video as soon as Infinitron posted it :martini:

That final scene was pretty awesome.
Now I have another movie and another book in line for this weekend, cool.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The BBC miniseries is also pretty good. Doesn't have the budget of the movie, of course, but Sir Alec Guinness as George Smiley more than makes up for it, and it covers Smiley's People to boot.

Cadmus

Arcane
And fuck anyone that bitches about nekkid cards in Witcher. OMG NEKKID GRRLS, I MIGHT GET A BONER OOOH NOOEEZ

I agree, I don't know what the fucking problem is with the cards.
I like MrBtongue, I like the calm manner in which he speaks. I don't think his voice is boring at all. I like how he makes different points than the usual graphics/story/sound/recommend?
He brings to light some interesting topics and ways of thinking about stuff that don't only apply to games. And he has a class and a sense of humor that is missing from most other reviewer's (since when is this even a word).
I wish the videos were twice as long because he is interesting.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you want more I can recommend:

Instig8iveJournalism
Errant Signal
Smudboy
Shamus Young
VaatiVidya
MechaGameZilla

Fitzthistlewits:
Fitzthistlewits

Milage may vary:
Zero Punctuation
Sequelitis
Jim Sterling
Extra Credits

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom