Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Tasteful Understated Nerdrage on The Witcher and Realism vs. Heroism

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Tags: Fallout 3; Fallout: New Vegas; MrBtongue; Planescape: Torment; The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Witcher, The

MrBtongue, the man behind Tasteful Understated Nerdrage, is one of the very few Youtube Personalities™ that are worth paying attention to if you're a serious CRPG fan. Although in the past he devoted most of his time to the unworthy task of dissecting the decline of BioWare, over the past year he's diversified to more interesting topics. Today, after a six month hiatus, he has returned with a new episode analyzing the narrative qualities of The Witcher games, and how they differ from more typical heroic fantasy fare.

If you haven't seen them already, you might want to check out some of MrBtongue's previous videos from the past year, including:
    I don't always entirely agree with the way MrBtongue looks at things, but he's definitely a sharp guy who usually arrives at the right conclusions. Although, I don't know yet what he thinks about Torment 2's combat system. ;)
    ^ Top  
  2. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Isn't this the second time you posted a newsbit about Mr BTongue?

Oh God, I'd love to see a catfight between two youtube personalities over the T:ToN's combat system. TUN is a Torment fanboy, after all. So I guess there's no issue asking him his opinion.
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Don't think so.
    ^ Top  
  4. oasis789 Cipher

oasis789
    a man after my own heart.

the man has an unfortunate tendency toward pomo l1beral arts education bullshit though, that part isn't after my own heart.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Commissar Draco Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  5. eremita Educated

eremita
    I agree with him. He's definetly one of the more legit game analyst on youtube.
    ^ Top  
  6. Kron Savant

Kron
    Dostoevsky!! OMG BEST WRITAR EVAR.

Couldn't hold myself.

The guy got it a bit wrong though, TW 1 was definitely more "mature" than TW 2, even with the sex cards.
    TW 2 is markedly more epic, has less folklore content, less mood, marginally worse writing and music.
    ^ Top  
  7. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    Codex 2013
    Here are the keywords I strenuously object to prestigious magazine RPG Codex sirs (please address these before I'm forced to cancel my subscription):

Youtube Personalities and worth paying attention to

Nerdrage and serious CRPG fan

yours sincerely,
    muds_animal_friend esq.
    Surf Solar, catfood, herostratus and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    I don't see a Patron tag mister
    ^ Top  
  9. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    Codex 2013
    And I don't see a method to donate beyond the ever shitty paypal you grubby street urchin scum. Explain to me how a Visa debit card can help and you can have a shiny new shilling for the care of your consumptive mother otherwise fuck off and die in a gutter. I'm not using paypal. They're not my pals.
    Canus and Metro Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
  11. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    Codex 2013
    Seriously I tried signing up to paypal twice and they're so called 'confirmation number' failed to appear on my statement both times. I actually had to talk to my bank manager about it and they just canceled and refunded both transactions. So no. No paypal. Although I do take so small comfort in the knowledge that this is how RPG Codex is financed:

^ Top  
  12. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    But what about combat mechanics? They still seem to be pretty juvenile.
    Even when compared to the movie?
    ^ Top  
  13. Lambchop19 Cipher

Lambchop19
    Seems a thoughtful gent. However, when an American pronounces the "j" in words like "project" with a "y" sound, it's a clear sign that they are up their own ass pretty damn far.

Also, was he prasing Dragon Age 2 at the end and suggesting that the reason people didn't like it was because it didn't follow a traditional heroic narrative?
    ^ Top  
  14. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    Actually that's the sign he researched the topic very well. That's how the name is pronounced in Polish.

Not really:

BTW, Infinitron is this really news worthy?
    odrzut Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  15. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Infinitron how can you keep eating TUN's crap? He was good when meticoulously described historical gaming shit (A Tale of Two Companies is excellent), but this bullshit is just him holding various games hostage to his own subjective desires. And that's increasingly what his videos have become. His only criticism of The Witcher is that it isn't "mature" according to his definition of the word. Uh-huh. Does James Bond then become bad as well, as a concept? What about any action movie of the 90's at all?

Also, don't give me that "but he isn't like that in the books" shit (see previous discussion in The Witcher Trailer thread).

I get his initial point: "maybe we could get less tits and more substance", but the issue with his method is that instead of formulating this like a general point, he picks out a specific game and starts holding it accountable to whatever his subjective wishes are. That's shitty criticism. What he should be doing if he wants to talk about substance is point to a bunch of examples of games that don't have it and tell us why we need more games that do.

I can agree somewhat with his points on heroism, but his maturity-point is weak and has little basis. This video is just a weak "I'd like more substance, let's call it maturity, here's a game I don't think is mature, here's why I think DA:I will be bad, OK see ya."
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    ^ Top  
  16. BlackAdderBG Savant Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    This annoys me every time the cards in Witcher are mentioned.It's RPG(kind of), you can choose to not get any of them you know?:rpgcodex:
    Commissar Draco, Kalin and Lambchop19 Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  17. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Fuck this guy. And fuck you too.
    ^ Top  
  18. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I'd play the fuck out of that.
    Kattze, Rake and tuluse Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  19. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    He's fine, although this video feels incomplete. Lacks his usual structure. Kinda stating obvious there, realistic approach vs. fantasy copypasta.
    Not really worth news section, imo - people can choose "internet personalities" and follow them themselves.
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Well, for the past half year nobody has been eating anything. I think you might be overreacting a bit
    ^ Top  
  21. Apexeon Savant

Apexeon
    How about some old school Turn based combat that requires two brain cells to rub together.
    ^ Top  
  22. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    I always wondered what would happen if all upcoming triple A, rpg, tittles decided to go turn based. What would the Biodrones, Bethesdafags etc. do? Would they still defend the companies they sold their souls to? Or would they leave. Leaving the modern big budget rpg genre in ruins, so it would have to go small budget with small target audience to even survive?
    ^ Top  
  23. ZagorTeNej Savant

ZagorTeNej
    I'd prefer if he went with personal story (journey) vs epic saving the world story but regardless I get his point, I just don't understand why he praises Witcher 2 more in that regard as it was definitely way more epic and you didn't even have a neutral path (which should be the most logical choice for Geralt all things considered) available, you were constantly in the thick of it and could potentially make big decisions that should have serious consequences (such as willingly allowing regicide to happen right in front of you, against a very capable king of a strong nation at that) down the road (in a sequel) which of course won't happen because of budget, not enough focus on reactivity etc. I see Nilfgaard invasion just as another cop-out in that regard (it happens regardless) so the next game can begin with a clean slate and (in essence) disregard every choice you made in the previous title, not as something that should be praised.

TL;DR you can make a number of (seemingly) epic and world changing choices in Witcher 2, they just won't have epic consequences.

Forgot to add, while I share his preference for non-saving the world stories a lot of it depends on the execution, not making one worse than the other neccesarilly. For example while they're not CRPG think of Myth games (first two, The Fallen Lords and Soublighter), classic good vs evil-we're doomed-saving the world stuff but execution of it is so fucking amazing, I replayed both games countless times and I never skip mission intros/briefings (in the form of a journal being written by a nameless soldier in the war).
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    When does far-reaching reactivity and C&C become immature wish fulfillment ("but mommy, I WANT to save everybody!")? It's a question for debate.

Re: Myth, it might have been considered heroic if the "main character" was Alric!
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)