Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Target put up a page for Bethesda:Game of Thrones (FAKE)

wyes gull

Savant
What kind of fucking marketing tactics are these? Is this what half the budget of everything ever gets you nowadays?

hellbent

Augur
I seem to recall reading from that Chan rumor post from months ago that Bethsoft was releasing a GoT game in a few years. Releasing one right away would make the most sense for them.

Of course, there's already a GoT mod for Skyrim, so this product seems particularly pointless.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GoT's world is just too bland to carry an open world """RPG""", which is what Bethesda is known for primarily. Basically one playable race, bland monsters with the only exception being those zombie things and dragons. If there's more I guess I wouldn't know, haven't actually read the books or watched the show in depth. But I have seen some of it. Never really saw anything that captured my interest or anything beyond generic fantasy.

If this is going to a real Bethesda project it would be better to make more of an action game with a focus on story to appeal to normies.

They should make an open world CRPG of Malazan instead. The world of Malazan feels more like a gaming world than a believable fictional world anyway, and there will be no shortage on demons and demigods to pop.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here

And there will be pretty goats and trolls with buttocks like two balls of plain ice cream?

Just curious.

Vqwfyk0.jpg

Pls respond.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There is already a GoT console rpg made focusing on two premade characters that has most of the console sensibilities the people on this site love. It came out before the series so wasn't a hit. If you like the shit Bethesda spews out, or the Witcher games, or other console non-rpgs you should like it. It has a pc port on steam. There is also a RTS game for it I think.

It wasn't a hit since it was poorly received, not due to brand recognition.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
There is already a GoT console rpg made focusing on two premade characters that has most of the console sensibilities the people on this site love. It came out before the series so wasn't a hit. If you like the shit Bethesda spews out, or the Witcher games, or other console non-rpgs you should like it. It has a pc port on steam. There is also a RTS game for it I think.

It wasn't a hit since it was poorly received, not due to brand recognition.

Sure, tiger.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It's apparently fake:
Forbes said:
Game-of-Thrones-Hardhome-71.jpg

Game of Thrones (Credit: HBO)

A recent rumor based on an apparent Target listing got gamers and Game of Thrones fans excited yesterday: there seemed to be a Target page for something only called "Bethesda: Game of Thrones," leading people to believe that there might be an unannounced game coming from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout developer set in the universe of A Song of Ice And Fire. It was a tantalizing notion, and we can always dream. This particular rumor, however, is a hoax. Here's the official statement from a Target Spokesman:

“This is not a real product – we’re sorry for any confusion.”

That doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. It is possible to spoof URLs, and it would not be surprising if that's what happened here.

There were two things that made this listing seem suspect. First, it was clearly neither a real listing nor a placeholder listing. Retail leaks happen because retailers have information before the press or public do, but they're fairly specific because of it. A lot of the time, you'll see the full, genuine listing going up before quickly being taken down. This wasn't that: it was just this single phrase. But that phrase also didn't look like a placeholder. Any retailer would at the very least know the name of the product in advance of putting a listing up, and it wouldn't be all that concerned about a game before there was an actual name attached to it. The second would be how long this page stayed up: genuine leaks are usually taken down fairly quickly.

Also, there's another Target listing for "Rockstar: Game of Thrones." Which, as much as we'd like to see it, is even less likely to be happening than a Bethesda Game of Thrones game. And, of course, the least plausible scenario is that we are somehow getting dueling open-world Game of Thrones adaptations from two of the biggest game developers in the industry.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see a Bethesda Game of Thrones game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom