Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TaleSpire - Digital Role-playing System

Alchemist

Arcane
DCC is awesome at the table but I'm not sure it lends itself to being codified into digital form. It requires a lot of DM adjudication and interpretation, in my experience. The free-form nature of the warrior's mighty deeds would also be hard to code without losing the flexibility of on-the-fly choices. Also DCC isn't very minis focused, it's more "theater of the mind".

I bet Pathfinder / D&D 3.5 fans would go nuts over this though as they are very minis-focused. I think 5E is a good middle ground to start with though. Not as crunchy / complex as Pathfinder.

Ideally, I'd love to see the capability to add our own rulesets through XML files or something. That is, if this is going to be a virtual table-top tool at some point.

Anyway, really looking awesome! I'll definitely be throwing money at this in the future!

AlonelyBard

Novice
I'd say that it would be a great idea, if instead of focuses solely on 3.5/5e with their ogls and such. Why not make a good framework, similar to what Roll20 has, possibly include a system for importing/making a character sheet for the different variables in the system. Ability to make custom dice, though I believe I already saw that in one of your youtube videos showing off the dice system.
Using Unity though, I'm curious how you go about changing boards, Unity probably wouldn't be able to handle someone building a huge collection of maps without a loading screen between them, is this what you're planning on doing? As well, will you be adding the ability to save/load maps locally onto the "server" I constantly make maps for my games a day or two ahead of time instead of infront of the players, so this would be a great addition if it isn't already planned.
The system looks pretty amazing to me, as I remember WotC talking about this sort of thing for a while, but I believe it just kind of died, this is something that could really help the GM get across the area of the dungeon/tavern/court/forest which is something I've always been looking forward to since reading about the WotC 3d Dungeon tool. Is there any word on when people could first get their hands on this, or even a release date?

Severian Silk

Thank you guys for still supporting the mouse!! None of this tablet swipey-swipe bullshit.

Shatterbrain

Novice
REALLY looking forward to this. It's baffling that over 15 years nothing has come closer than Neverwinter Nights in translating tabletop RPGs to a digital format. I think your company will strike gold in that niche.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Their vertical building tools seems to be ready

Too bad we ain't got more news from Mr Ree

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Their vertical building tools seems to be ready
Too bad we ain't got more news from Mr Ree

We're getting really close! Hoping to start doing some proper testing 1Q next year. Most of the initial systems we want are more or less in place. Just needs to be polished significantly .
I'll be sure to post some more stuff here going forward as well.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Kickstarter is coming very soon
https://mailchi.mp/948387fda753/talespire-kickstarter-in-one-week?e=f9178932ea

8218f1fc-4860-4b0e-9738-5dcf9bd68f20.png

df994453-0454-4418-a22f-9575fe3962a6.png

Seven days until the TaleSpire Kickstarter.
Seven days until the quest truly begins!

In just one week, we will be launching the Kickstarter that sets TaleSpire sailing.

Seven months ago we asked you for your help testing TaleSpire and you came in the thousands. The feedback given by those inside and outside the alpha has solidified what TaleSpire needs to become and we are so grateful to you for that.

On Monday the 24th, at midnight PDT, we will make the Kickstarter campaign public, and once again we are lighting the fires and calling for aid.

Because of how these campaigns tend to work, the first 48 hours are a big deal. The closer we get to the target in the first two days the bigger the overall response tends to be from backers and news sources alike. So if you plan to back and want to make it count even more, back early. No pressure though, we are just happy this is finally happening!

As we know that some people have been curious, if each of you who receive this newsletter were to back at the lowest level that gets you the game ($20) we would smash our target immediately.

We will be emailing you the Kickstarter campaign link the moment it's available.

Thank you for everything, it's great to be given a chance to bring TaleSpire to life.

Warmest regards,
The Bouncyrock Team

c1e584e9-5918-4576-87a9-f4c09f49835d.png

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for posting this here AbounI! Shoot! It's been a couple of years already. This has been a spare time project for so long, so here is our attempt to get on it full-time to push for a release.

Here is a new gif. with some early spell effects.
cast%20spell.gif

ADL

Prophet
Hope they can manage to hit that 275K stretch goal for Cyberpunk (just in time for Cyberpunk RED). Not a fan of the exclusive heroes being sold as a higher pledge level reward though. Those should've been incentives for hitting stretch goals or included in the default pledges. Selling multiple copies at a discounted rate was enough incentive to get people to buy in.

Mortmal

Arcane
It certainly looks impressive but which ruleset is it supporting ? Only one designed for the game ? Something simple like let say heroquest ? There's not much info on the Kickstarter.
"Yes! Not in time for the Early Access but we have been designing a fairly game independent system of processing rules so that's something we want to attack HARD after the Early Access. When it is done it will be moddable so you can encode your role playing system's rules into it"
That's too vague, impressive visuals may not be enough for people to leave FG2 or roll 20 to this.Or maybe i am wrong its a completely different kind of product...

Alchemist

Arcane
They say it supports any ruleset that uses a grid. Originally this was something a bit different and it had a built-in system but they moved away from that idea to make it support anything, and it's primarily a set of virtual terrain / minis with some basic initiative tracking at the moment. If that was all it ended up being, that's fine by me. I can take care of the rules as a DM. Use it just like a set of Dwarven Forge tiles and minis at the table.

Mortmal

Arcane
That's pretty but not enough, once you got used of FG2 automation, you cant go back to other virtual tabletop systems. Especially for a game like DCC auto calculating hit and misses and rolling on the crit tables which is extremely convenient. Cant see myself reentering al the 5E bestiary ,stats, items and such inside, and worse redoing it each time i want to play a new ruleset . They need official partnership for 5E and pathfinder at the bare minimum.

Dorateen

Arcane
Funded.

There's been no miscommunication, and I know Talespire is designed as a table-top supplement.

But I can't help thinking there is a great single-player cRPG waiting to bust out of this.

ADL

Prophet
Put $100 into it so I could get three copies and share among friends. They hit $300,000 unlocking all their stretch goals.
0c6115fc96b53b0791e724255bbc463b_original.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
That's pretty but not enough, once you got used of FG2 automation, you cant go back to other virtual tabletop systems. Especially for a game like DCC auto calculating hit and misses and rolling on the crit tables which is extremely convenient. Cant see myself reentering al the 5E bestiary ,stats, items and such inside, and worse redoing it each time i want to play a new ruleset . They need official partnership for 5E and pathfinder at the bare minimum.

Why would they need official partnerships to implement an OGL system? That and they could just allow new rulesets as a type of mod, which would make setting up new systems as simple as downloading someone's config.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah, if the modding system is robust enough - someone will implement the entirety of the 5E SRD eventually. After that, individual DMs can house-rule, add custom stuff and beholder-like WotC IP stuff as needed. No need to be shackled to an official partnership - in fact I'd prefer that they don't. They will probably get approached by WotC though, considering how awesome this toolset is.

ADL

Prophet
I'm really looking forward to this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom