Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Emmanuel2

Savant
Mind telling me how many hours you're in and how much I have left?

I'm not him but it took me 55 hours to clear the game + sidequests including all code red while choosing the hardest possible difficulty as I unlock them (hard -> intense -> chaos).

It gets much faster as you more unlock stuff for overworld and if you're not going for the sidequests it'll take you a lot less time.

Magilou is best girl.

Looks like i near the end. Sidequests everywhere, Katz Korner is available. Should i finish quests now if i plan ng+ on chaos or just go for the ending?

Finish quests after ending. There are MAs and break souls that are available only after finishing the game, there's also dual MAs.

I don't know how you'd proceed with your NG+ but if you're not planning to carry your equipment and levels over (why would you), skip the postgame dungeon.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Great cast. Velvet is bad ass and may become my favorite female protagonist. Usually I don't like the quirky little sidekick, but Magilou is hilarious.
Also the game is a great example, that non-linearity isn't everything. I'm 20 hours in and can't wait to experience where this is going to. It's not about how good a story is, it's about how good it is being told.

The combat system is still alien to me. Most of the time I don't feel the desire to rub and mash my gamepad, so I let the game play itself. I like offhand games, where success comes from pre-battle-preparation and you can watch it unfold. When you put Laphicet in the leftmost position of the group formation and give him the ranged strategy, you're having the best battle overview.

Anyway, what's the benefit of turning off skill/arts ? Because older ones become obsolte damage wise and I want characters to use the more damaging newer ones ?

And how I can tell, when shopping, if a new item has a skill, that a character hasn't already learned ?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tales of Vesperia will be unlocking on Steam in a few hours. While it supposedly runs well it doesn't look like they really 'enhanced' much in terms of graphics.

Also, they replaced Troy Baker for Yuri but only for the new lines, so there are scenes where Yuri talks in two different voices. There's been reports of other characters' voice actors being replaced (like Judith) but so far he's the only one that's definitive. Luckily it comes with the Japanese voices but while it looks like they add subtitles for the end-of-battle banter I'm not sure if they added subtitles for the dialogue that goes on during battles sometimes (i.e. a party member talking to a story-related boss).

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think Judith's VA is coming back. Doesn't really matter since I'll use the JAP dub anyway.
Haven't heard the game being enhanced beyond having the DLC content there from the start.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
People who've got early access to it are saying her voice for the new lines sounds different, though it has been a decade since the original dub. Given that we don't even know who her voice actress actually is, it's hard to get a real answer.

Mojobeard

Augur
Already own Vesperia on the 360, so I'll be skipping it before a sale.

It's considered the best Tales, so if you haven't played it, would heartily recommend, thought don't know if the port is good. If Zestiria and Berseria combat was a turn off, well this still has the good older type. And if you hate JRPG protagonists, Yuri is pretty much the polar opposite (minus the pretty boy look); he's on top of things and generally does exactly what you think of doing.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Tried to get it yesterday but for some reason game disappeared from steam. At least now it's back.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It's considered the best Tales, so if you haven't played it, would heartily recommend, thought don't know if the port is good. If Zestiria and Berseria combat was a turn off, well this still has the good older type. And if you hate JRPG protagonists, Yuri is pretty much the polar opposite (minus the pretty boy look); he's on top of things and generally does exactly what you think of doing.

It also has 1000 times better level design than the samey Xillia+ vomit.

Molina

Savant

If I never play a JRPG, I'm 30 and I prefer adult girls.. It's a good try ?

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there really no Denuvo?

I've already imported the PS3 version so I likely won't pick this one up for some time.

Mojobeard

Augur
If I never play a JRPG, I'm 30 and I prefer adult girls.. It's a good try ?
Not sure what to say, it's not a little girl dating sim. The main character flirts with the women in the party.
If you haven't played a JRPG, remember that there's always going to be a little bit of "whimsy" factor, they are games aimed at teens, there's anime influence and etc. Just laugh it off, it's the guilty pleasure part.
That said, I'm nearing 30 and play through one Tales game a year. The gameplay, characters, world building, secrets, itemization, overall the stuff that just makes video games good, it's all so well done here.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Playing it now. Definitely harder than new Tales of games. I think it's because your combo potential is very limited at the start. Also "don't use healing items in battles - you may need them later" mental contition don't help too.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I've button smashed my way through the past Tales games, but Vesperia feels actually challenging on bosses and special encounters even on normal. Money is scarce throughout the game since consumeables are limited to 15 at max and they cost a ton, plus the constant necessity for new gear. It does suffer from not giving you much tools at the start, without overlimit you are stuck doing 3 hits + base arte + arcane arte until you get skills that allow extending basic combos. The fights where you have to fight several enemies are annoying though, since you are forced to run around until the enemies can't interrupt you from every angle unless you are really good at guard cancelling.
Yuri seemed overrated as a character at the start, but once certain things happen you can see why people like him. I wish all characters in JRPG's were written like Yuri, Judith and Raven, mature in a non-edgy way and real characters instead of just living tropes.

Mojobeard

Augur
I don't remember if the starting hours difficulty was straight from the demo/alpha or what, but Sonic, Ornstein & Smough and Guts-doggo from the beginning of the game are much harder than they're meant to be. Guts especially is notoriously tough, lower the difficulty for just that fight and feel no shame.

Jinn

Arcane
I stopped paying attention to the Tales series a long time ago. Symphonia was the last one I played, and I really couldn't stand it for the most part. Seemed easy as fuck and the story and characters were the most banal cliche bullshit. That was a long time ago.

Anyway, with the recent releases of Vesperia and Berseria on steam, my interest has been piqued again. These games seem to actually have some meat to them gameplay-wise, interesting casts, and decent storylines. I've heard Vesperia cited as the best in the series many times and was wondering if there were many people playing it with it's recent PC release? If I hated Symphonia, do I have a chance of enjoying the likes of Vesperia and Berseria?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I stopped paying attention to the Tales series a long time ago. Symphonia was the last one I played, and I really couldn't stand it for the most part. Seemed easy as fuck and the story and characters were the most banal cliche bullshit. That was a long time ago.

Anyway, with the recent releases of Vesperia and Berseria on steam, my interest has been piqued again. These games seem to actually have some meat to them gameplay-wise, interesting casts, and decent storylines. I've heard Vesperia cited as the best in the series many times and was wondering if there were many people playing it with it's recent PC release? If I hated Symphonia, do I have a chance of enjoying the likes of Vesperia and Berseria?
You can ignore all Tales games after Vesperia. They are all shit. Vesperia was the last good Tales game. And I'm glad it got a Definitive Edition. Still have my 360 copy and but got it on PS4 last Friday. You'll enjoy because the writing was good and Yuri is actually a good protagonist. Get Vesperia and enjoy

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
I liked Beseria a lot (its dungeons and general map design kinda sucked, though that's true for a lot of the series) but Xillia 1&2 and Zestiria are dumpster fires best forgotten. Graces f was... mediocre; not nearly as bad as Zestiria but only worthwhile at all if you generally like Tales games, even then shit like the plot centering on the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP was unbearable at times.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Yeh only played a bit of zestiria, boring af, this one seems better, timings are a bit weird at first and it seems bare bones for now but I look forward to see what they do with more skills.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Graces f was... mediocre; not nearly as bad as Zestiria but only worthwhile at all if you generally like Tales games, even then shit like the plot centering on the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP was unbearable at times.
Tales of meant to be played on japanese. Tales of Graces is one of my favorite games in the series, because i played it on dolphin and still don't know what was game about. But Sophie was cute and Pascal too.
:dance:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Yeh only played a bit of zestiria, boring af, this one seems better, timings are a bit weird at first and it seems bare bones for now but I look forward to see what they do with more skills.

Tempest and Zestiria are often referred as the worst games of the series.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Arrived to desert village and opened synthesis weapon tab in shop...
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom