Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Monkey Island for $5

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Yes, I know this pales in comparison to the originals and that it's another streamlined Telltale popamole, but is it, in your opinion, worth 5 bucks?

I did enjoy their Sam & Max games back when they were a new company. How does this compare?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The early episodes are a little meh, but it builds up quite decently over the series. The last 2 episodes are probably around MI3 level in entertainment value, but it never gets close to MI2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The demo didn't wow me but it's probably worth $5 for Earl Boen's voice acting alone.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
I bought this on the first sale by Telltale (not on Steam) and I'm afraid I don't feel I got my money's worth. The first episode, at least, feels formulaic and uninspired.

There's just something about the episodic model that makes (or allows?) the developers to eschew all notions of complexity and depth in scene layout and storytelling. It feels like they've settled on a formula (which wasn't set in stone when they made Sam & Max seasons 1 and 2) and they're just going through the motions right now.

Much disappoint from the first episode of this game, IMO.

zeitgeist

Magister
Just watch a playthrough on Youtube if you're interested in the story, the dialogues, voice acting, etc. The puzzles are very easy and forgettable, and I can't think of a real reason to actually play the game.

Seolas

Liturgist
I bought it, 3.50GBP for 5 episodes, which is less than you pay for a sandwich in most places over here. Plus I love MI and I played Tales episode one for free (some special deal) and thought it was OK, but got stuck in that jungle maze thingymajig.

Still playing Indigo Prophecy (and its mass of bugs, Steam haven't bothered to apply the patch) at the moment though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
zeitgeist said:
Just watch a playthrough on Youtube if you're interested in the story, the dialogues, voice acting, etc. The puzzles are very easy and forgettable, and I can't think of a real reason to actually play the game.

Yeah I actually watched a good portion of it already and was underwhelmed at a lot of the puzzles (and the game play in general). Can't believe I'm on the fence over $5 (still haven't bought it, guess I have the weekend to decide) but I'd honestly rather spend that on the MI2 remake.

Falksi

Arcane
Just had to quit playing through these.

Dull, flat humour, unsatisfying puzzles, and just fairly lifeless all round.

Whilst not "bad" per say, definitely pointless and a waste of time, energy & money.

pippin

I found it very irritating, I think I played through the first two episodes only though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It was Borderline amusing (from people who you could tell really loved the series). But it was no where NEAR as creative or innovative (or as much fun) as the originals. The lack of the LA team working on it very much showed...

Still, it was amusing (and slightly enjoyable, as an homage)...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It was also made by people who did not undersand Monkey Island at all. This game was never about peolle yelling "Arrr ! Rum ! Piratey sslang ! Yarr!", magic spells every five minutes, and a fucking mermaid town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom