Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
More, different character builds.

More difficult (a limited amount of deaths allowed, you get raped easily past early game if you stop paying attention or try retarded builds, many situations where a misstep can mean death etc.)

It's not Diablo 2 (i.e. variety).

Are you sure? IMO if you take all of Diablo 2's classes and their respective skill trees into account, along with dizzying variations and the fact that all skills/powers scale according to level and points pumped into them, I do think that Diablo 2 has more variety...

Zdzisiu

Arcane
But why would one play this instead of Diablo 2?
You seriously try to compare those two games? One is a REAL TIME hack and slash with strong emphasis on your reflexes and the other is a TURN BASED roguelike light game favouring more tactical approach.

Btw. TOME has more skills than Diablo 2.

Edit: To be precise, Diablo 2 has 210 skills, 7 classes with 3 skill-trees each, 10 skills in a tree.
TOME has 644 skills, 151 skill-trees distributed between 24 classes, plus 8 racial skill-trees and 2 in-game unlockable skill trees. Every skill-tree has 4 skills in it.

Rpgsaurus Rex

More, different character builds.

More difficult (a limited amount of deaths allowed, you get raped easily past early game if you stop paying attention or try retarded builds, many situations where a misstep can mean death etc.)

It's not Diablo 2 (i.e. variety).

Are you sure? IMO if you take all of Diablo 2's classes and their respective skill trees into account, along with dizzying variations and the fact that all skills/powers scale according to level and points pumped into them, I do think that Diablo 2 has more variety...

Variety, as in, it's not Diablo 2. You know, I've played Diablo 2 to death and knowing monsters/levels/builds all like the back of my hand simply can't stomach playing it again. ToME4 with its original, unique classes and builds was a breath of fresh air.

Mackerel

Augur
What a modern game.

What do I get for donating?

All donators get access to a few special features in-game: Custom Tiles and Exploration Mode. A video being worth a thousands words, check it out there:
Donators Custom Tiles

Basically this will allow you to choose a custom tile for all your characters, so much more fun! Also donator's characters with custom tiles will show up on the character's vault! (This feature is available starting from beta29) Exploration mode is basically a game mode where you get an infinite number of lives, for those that want to see the story unfold faster.

palmito

Educated
new version 1.2.5

Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME) is a free, open source roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix of abilities and powers. With a modern graphical and customisable interface, intuitive mouse control, streamlined mechanics and deep, challenging combat, Tales of Maj’Eyal offers engaging roguelike gameplay for the 21st century.

The continent of Maj’Eyal lives in a relative peace. After millennia of war the orcs are extinct, the advanced races have allied together, and the evils of magic have been repressed. But there are still untamed forests, cursed lands, marauding bandits, sealed dungeons of undead, and whispers spread of hidden cults of mages. Some even say the orcs are not all dead, and muster their strength in dark places.

You are an adventurer, seeking your fortune in the open world, investigating ruins and mysteries in search of riches and powers. Explore a continent still scarred by the terrible Spellblaze from ages past, teeming with wild beasts, monsters, trolls and giants. Delve through dark dungeons infested by armies of undead, demonic monstrosities and hideous horrors. Uncover world changing secrets, from relics of the ancient and all-powerful Sher’Tul race to veiled cities of magic and concealed psionic beings. Fight with skill and care against undying necromancers, towering dragons, primeval forces, arcane demons and world-threatening powers.

Take part in an epic fantasy adventure like no other, engaging both your imagination and your intelligence, demanding thought and attention to succeed. Winner of the Roguelike of the Year award 2010, 2011 and 2012, Tales of Maj’Eyal is backed by constant development and an active, friendly community that have together invested over 340 years of total playtime. 427 players are playing right now – why not join them?

tales-of-maj-eyal-screenshot-2.jpg

download link: http://te4.org/download

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come give it a try, it's free! :hmmm:

You're lucky this game is actually good.

Multi-headed Cow

Weird thing worth mentioning, sign in to your ToME account on their webpage (Assuming you own a paid copy of the game somewhere) and check your funbux balance by clicking the DLC tab on the left. I inexplicably had 100 unspent funbux and the expansion is 40, so what the hell.

As far as I can tell you may have the funbux if you registered ToME on Steam within the first few weeks it was released on there, because their funbux system wasn't ready to handle it yet so it wasn't properly totting up the totals. So if you've got it then hey, free expansion. You can also add the expansion to Steam once you buy it from their system by then clicking on "My profile" on the right, then clicking the Steam tab in the upper-middle.

Worked for me and Brut probably because we put it on Steam immediately. Didn't work for Mr. Jack since he got an extra key from me at some point later.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, you are right. If you connected the game with steam just when it became available, you got free zorgbux for it, and you can get the expansion with them.

Lhynn

Arcane
This is what ive been looking for. Thank you fine gentlemen.

kain611

Augur
This is one of those just one more dungeon then I'll stop......4 hours go by...... games

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing it with a higher human berserk, did well for the most part, but got jumped by a horror nightmare. For the most part the game difficulty seems fair, but that was an extremely mean curve ball considering i was lvl 11.
Its been really addictive so far with fun and challenging combat and interesting abilities and im really digging the system and a lot of the writing.

Just unlocked Archmage class so after this guy bites it ill see whats that about.

palmito

Educated
I think that the Dwarf Berserker is the easiest race/class for a newbie. Reach at least level 30 before starting with another one.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, it really does screw you over a lot in the beginning when you think you have built a powerhouse, and then suddenly it throws something stupid at you. That's when you learn to build a character with multiple escape options as well :)

Castozor

Scholar
So I tried this out, having never before played a roguelike, and I must say I love it so far. Every now and again it crashes on me but other than that no problems, and hopefully even that will stop once I pick up the Steam version. Thanks for bringing this game up!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yes, it really does screw you over a lot in the beginning when you think you have built a powerhouse, and then suddenly it throws something stupid at you. That's when you learn to build a character with multiple escape options as well :)
If there's one thing I've learned about this game it's that no matter what your build is, the game has a way to counter it. Even typeless non magical passive buffs like stances with no cost can be dispelled, instantly stripping you of most of your defences. Even stacking HP won't work because there's a spell that deals damage based on your hp. Healing can be blocked, pretty much any sort of escape skill can be forced onto cooldown with various status effects.

Lhynn

Arcane
If there's one thing I've learned about this game it's that no matter what your build is, the game has a way to counter it. Even typeless non magical passive buffs like stances with no cost can be dispelled, instantly stripping you of most of your defences. Even stacking HP won't work because there's a spell that deals damage based on your hp. Healing can be blocked, pretty much any sort of escape skill can be forced onto cooldown with various status effects.
Yep, its a game about beating odds that keep stacking against you. Im currently level 27 playing on rougelike, died once but luckily had a vial, a reflect damage shield killed me good and since i examine every rare, unique or boss type character looking for that specific effect.
It can have really tense moments and as you leel up they come up more and more often. Heard the game gets a bit easier with prodigies tho.

palmito

Educated
Yep, its a game about beating odds that keep stacking against you. Im currently level 27 playing on rougelike, died once but luckily had a vial, a reflect damage shield killed me good and since i examine every rare, unique or boss type character looking for that specific effect.
It can have really tense moments and as you leel up they come up more and more often. Heard the game gets a bit easier with prodigies tho.

You heard it wrong. Everything rapes you after the 30 and 42' levels.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Don't the enemies start getting prodigies too by then? Except they get more of them because horseshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom