Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tale of Wuxia - Prequel released on Steam too

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, the localization is complete shit, and a lot of it was done by machine. And the transaltion of the expansion i heard is only half done and may never get finished.

Severian Silk

So the english translation calls 小虾米 (lit. little shrimp) "Nobody", which connotes anonymity and perhaps a little bit of mystery, but I think a proper translation would emphasize his being a small fry, no big deal etc. I'll just go with Shrimpy.
What about n00b?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would've been somewhat nice to be able to customize appearance, but hey, not really complaining about it.

Jinn

Arcane
Too anachronistic, doesn't fit in well with the wuxia setting. Shrimpy is odd-sounding but not that far away from names like Pigsy and Sandy. It retains the diminutive form of the original and both the literal and figurative meaning. Nobody doesn't do that well, and reminds me of the Polyphemus story.

I've probably put more thought into this than the official translator.

Well, if your translation is better maybe you should consider saving it to a text file or something so that it might turn into an unofficial patch one day. You know, in the name of Incline?

Nostaljaded

Savant
你跟姓段的两个家伙 - this probably refers to just 'you and that Duan guy' if you have read/watched 'Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils' (天龙八部).
Duan Yu usually does his wooing missions alone.

If the wind blows your way and circumstances allow, you could pick up a game translation project. It's well done. :D

Nostaljaded

Savant
Translation is hard!...

It's largely due to this game material source is a compilation of many wuxia novels...

Translator(s) need to be acquainted with Jin Yong's major works and then use their official English names if available.
Also without the whole script on hand, translator(s) will have trouble referencing who's who.

Translating standalone/first-in-the-series-to-be-translated games would have been much easier. :)

Translation is hard!...
Translator(s) need to be acquainted with Jin Yong's major works and then use their official English names if available.

Yeah I guess I don't qualify then. Though I strongly disagree that using the official name is always preferable. Often the official name is either obviously a mistake or a very poor rendition of the original. 射雕英雄传 "Legend of the Condor Heroes" Surely they could have picked a bird that actually exists in china? Like a hawk or eagle? 仙剑奇侠传 "Chinese Paladin" seriously wtf. And of course, the topic of this thread itself, "Tale of Wuxia". I would love to hear the thought process behind that gem.

I don't have a lot of faith in official translators.
One of the best Chinese translations i know of is of a webnovel I shall seal the Heavens ...and thats by a fan.
Officials just have to meet their targets so they spew some shit. elminage original usa ver for psp had absolute shit translation and it only got retranslated in the eu version and even that is spotty at best.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Yeah I guess I don't qualify then.
It's all up to your own individual standard & discretion to release in whatever state the translation is. As a fan translator, you are (technically) accountable to no one.

oasis789 said:
I don't have a lot of faith in official translators.
Agreed for games translation, especially in non-established games/franchises.

I have more faith for sponsored/paid-translation on books & novels doing a decent job though, as story coherence & fluid mental images are solely conveyed through/critiqued based on their written form.
Not to mention the translator's name is prominently displayed on the cover. Their future livelihood depends on the quality of their existing published works.

getter77

Augur
Is the giant old fan translation/LP for the pre-Steam days of the game over on SomethingAwful archived anywhere? Could come in handy to some extent probably.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sooooooo i began playing this game due to a rec from Lhynn but it doesn't recognize my keyboard.

:(

BTW, I played almost 40 mins before I realized the game didn't recognize my KB, I just assumed since it is chinty chink ware that they just are shit at coding or whatever... POINT IS that from the intro/beginning stuff I played the translation is fucking fine.

I think the people who complain about its translation are probably the types who think changing FF6 Terra's name back to the inferior "Tina" is a good thing because it is "more accurate". Those people are fucking cancer.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gets worse, almost unreadable in some places, main part of the content is fine tho, but the more rare events its just google translate quality.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oasis789

google-translation of extracted dialog files from this game show me already how badly the game was translated. yes, i am actually saying that a simple google-translation produces better results than the translation currently in the game (tales of wuxia).

...do i think this is something to stress over? not really. if we were talking about something on the level of a Torment, then absolutely i would never want anyone to play through a bad translation. however this is not Torment-level storytelling. i'm fine with (shitty story/writing) games being shoddily translated, since we're all here for the gameplay, not bad chinese fan-fiction.

(and this game's gameplay seems to be very good).

i don't think machine translation should EVER be used for "dialog", it completely butchers everything, ESPECIALLY when dealing with pictographic languages like chinese/japanese.

but in this specific case... it would've produced better results, and that's saying something.

so yeah, you are right, the translation is atrocious.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oasis789

侠客风云传

Google translates the original title as "Biography of the Storm Knight". Wanted to prove my point to you that actual machine translation is better than the in-game translation.

THAT is how bad ToW's "official" translation is... they did worse than Google!

Lhynn

Arcane
Game would improve a lot if the translation was good actually, some very decent writing in a lot of parts of the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
because MCA told us in several interviews that "video game writing" is a complete joke and full of bad writers.

:)

seriously tho, i'm not arguing anything here. I agree with you that the translation is horrible, and I meremly wanted to take the opportunity this game's horrible translation offers to give you an irrefutable example of machine translation being better than bad human translation.

that is all. I think machine translation is probably the best thing to ever happen to us RPGers, because as it keeps getting better and better and more sophistacted, EVENTUALLY none of us will ever be unable to enjoy a game due to language barriers.

my other point is: in the end, if a GOOD GAME (like this one) is ONLY playable with a bad translation, then yes, i am very thankful that it at least received its shoddy translation because now I get to play it.

I actually like getting my literature from books, not from games. I like games because they have gameplay, not words.

next time they really should just use Google tho. :)

Jinn

Arcane
I wouldn't mind so much about the translation if there wasn't SOOOO much text in this game. The game is, like, 40% text. Particularly in the martial arts simulator part of the game. Not only that, but the setting is very interesting to me and I wish I could get a little more immersed in it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so, i googled the no-keyboard thing turns out the game was hooking into my plugged-in Arcade Stick, LOL.

apparently they forgot to make the game hook first into keyboards, and instead it hooks into whatever device it first recognizes.

was p. funny.

so, since i can now actually play the game i will periodically continue posting here about:

- my playthrough
- the hilarious translation (i'll take screenshots).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lhynn

would you mind giving me some tips/advice for char-gen?

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, dont worry about stats, just aim to get the 3 talents you want down, and a decent amount of comprehension and hp if you got the patience, if not it doesnt matter, there are items that increase it permanently and you can play minigames to get them close to endgame.
There are ways to become OP no matter what you pick, like chopping your dick off to learn the martial art of the eunuchs.
Romancing a girl successfully gives decent rewards, but nothing there is essential, so skip them if you dont care for them tho your relationship with different characters does have a bearing in how the game plays out.
Finally the third talent, good or evil approaches are not good, best go with the leading brother one, grants a higher bonus to damage when maxed than the other two, and it doesnt condition how you play in any way.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wellp, i am definitely chopping my dick off and THEN romancing all the girls.

first game to allow doing this, which automatically makes this the best C&C rpg ever made!

Lhynn

Arcane
Actually the strongest sword style in the game is taught to you if you are a lonely asshole.
There are so many routes and events and you cant possibly see all the content even after several playthoughs.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
wellp, i am definitely chopping my dick off and THEN romancing all the girls.

first game to allow doing this, which automatically makes this the best C&C rpg ever made!
And that's how you fail to live up to the default surname of Dongfang.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lhyn, well of course... taoism (from which confucianism and buddhism took their cues) is alllllll very much about being enlightened through solitary existence, meditative reflection, and of course the big one: never imposing oneself upon the world.

confucious took the cool stuff from taoism and bent it to fit chinese society, and then buddhism is of course very much a copy/paste of hinduism.

the concept of a solitary man attaining the best sword skill fits very well into all 3 of those. Any fool wasting their time doing silly things like chopping off body parts in order to fit into someone else's mold (the eunich faction), or something equally dumb like taking pleasure in mundane stuff like love, could NEVER hope to attain "enlightenment".

speaking of tao, btw, my favorite proverb of lao tzu is:

- he who preaches tao, does not follow tao.

it's the ultimate troll! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom