Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire - Turn-Based Tactics RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...a-echoes-of-the-astral-empire-turn-based-tact
Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394023800

http://www.tahiragame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/tahira_echoes_of_the_astral_empire?as=1649904300

Looks Banner Saga-esque.

Funding goal is is $68,000. Estimated release date is January 2016. Seems like it will be episodic, though.

cce0dad413b76fc843d2951b309a9063_original.gif
6d5d20e8ad91ad350d8b837eb1d67077_original.gif

Once, it is said, humanity roamed the stars with impunity. That time is long past. On what was once a partially terraformed outpost world, the descendants of the long-dead colony struggle to eke out an existence on a planet that is growing ever more inhospitable.

You are Princess Tahira of Avestan, a small kingdom to the west of humanity’s last great city, Babylon. The death of your brother has left you as the sole, unwilling heir to the Throne. After your anxiety over this burden sparked an argument with your father, you left Avestan to explore the lands that lie to the south.

A year later, a message arrives warning of a vast army intent on returning to the stars, crushing all who stand in its way, and begging you to return home.

It is here that your real journey begins.

In Tahira the story and combat are intrinsically tied together. Every battle you fight has different objectives, which are informed by the story. In one, you fight desperately to hold a town long enough for its citizens to flee. In another you ambush an enemy squadron, trying to rout them before they can make use of their superior numbers.

When you’re not fighting you’ll have the chance to walk around your surrounds, engage with your travelling companions, and learn more about the different cultures you’ll encounter as you travel on the road.

We're writing Tahira's story episodically, and this campaign will cover the remaining costs of the first episode. We’ve chosen this format so we can execute the scope of what we feel Tahirashould be.

Episode One will feature a dense and thrilling plot with fleshed out characters who develop over the course of the game. Taking cues from studios like Bioware and Telltale Games, decisions and progression you make in Episode One will continue to influence your journey through later episodes. We estimate Episode One will run for 4-5 hours and are designing it to have the density of an episodic Telltale game.

Trekking through the Himalayas and exploring the Middle East were the dual inspirations forTahira. Beyond anything else, we want to transport you to another world and to take you on a journey that will stay with you well after you have finished playing.

Tahira's combat is inspired by childhoods spent secretly playing Gameboy games such as Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics under the covers. As well as more modern titles like XCOM: Enemy Unknown and The Banner Saga.

Acting through Tahira, the player leads their forces into battle by taking control of several groups of units, each with their own distinct stats and abilities. Leveraging the unique skills of your diverse team is the key to victory.

Any leader needs allies, and Tahira is no exception. She is joined in combat by several great warriors, each leading a cadre of troops who share their leader's strengths. As the game progresses, you'll unlock opportunities to upgrade each of these heroes. When you do so, you upgrade their personal stats, skills and abilities as well as those of their followers. The system takes inspiration from XCOM and Starcraft 2: these aren’t just little skill point buffs, they’re distinct choices that will change the way you play the game.

The combat system in Tahira is designed to simulate the flow of a real battle. Rather than relying on the traditional "we all move, then you all move" system, turn order is assigned dynamically, based on the speed of each of the fighters.The game's heroes can skip this queue and act immediately - at a cost - creating opportunities for skilled tacticians to turn the tide of a losing fight, or punish an enemy in a weak position before it has a chance to rally. Additionally, as fights progress, your troops grow fatigued. Each attack suffered by a unit reduces its defence, meaning that your force becomes exponentially more vulnerable as the battle wears on.

To further create a sense of realism in combat, no two combat scenarios are alike. Battles in Episode One will range from scrappy skirmishes between a handful of soldiers, to epic sieges involving dozens of units and multiple fronts. In these larger fights, players will need to act on a solid strategy, distributing their forces between two or three areas, and prioritizing certain objectives at the expense of others.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

When she left, Tahira intended never to return to Avestan. In her mind, she had absolved herself of her father, her title, and any responsibility to the people of the kingdom. However, she never expected to receive a desperate message from her father. A message warning of a vast army using ancient technology to sweep across the land, and crush those in their way. A message begging her to return home.

Now, her father is dead, Avestan lies in ruin, and it falls to Tahira to lead what remains of her people away from this devastation, to find a new home.

A story-driven RPG with a modern take on turn-based tactics gameplay

Tahira is first and foremost a game that tells a story. The combat gameplay is balanced with equally important narrative scenes, in which you'll have the opportunity to engage with the people following Tahira.

The combat itself doesn't rely on the classic 'we all move, then you all move' formula of turn-based tactics games. Instead, unit turn order is determined based on each unit's speed. The player can then further manipulate turn order by jumping one of their units to the front of the turn queue - for a cost.

Features

• A character-driven story featuring a bitter, drunk merchant and a swaggering mercenary power-couple.
• Rotoscoped character animations, creating a realistic, hand-drawn appearance.
• Hand-painted environments showcasing the bittersweet beauty of a dying world.
• A modern twist on classic turn-based tactics incorporating unit fatigue and a dynamic turn queue.
• Scenarios ranging from scrappy fights between a couple of soldiers to epic sieges where the player must manage multiple fronts.
• Persistent upgrades, allowing you to adapt your forces to suit your style.
• An atmospheric soundtrack composed by Max LL that incorporates the sounds and textures of Central Asia and the Middle East.

Kickstarter & Greenlight

Tahira is now live on Kickstarter! As of writing, the campaign has only just started, and will run through to the end of March 19 (Western United States time).
We're running a Steam Greenlight campaign concurrently as well.

Release Details

Episode One release date – January 2016
Platforms – PC, Mac and Linux
Press Kit – www.whalehammergames.com/press
Greenlight – http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394023800
Kickstarter – https://www.kickstarter.com/project...a-echoes-of-the-astral-empire-turn-based-tact
Kickstarter Trailer (HD) – http://youtu.be/l52JiMrYvXw
Game Website – www.tahiragame.com
Company Website – www.whalehammergames.com

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re also available for interviews.

All the best,

Peter Castle

m_s0

Arcane
Once, it is said, humanity roamed the stars with impunity. That time is long past. On what was once a partially terraformed outpost world, the descendants of the long-dead colony struggle to eke out an existence on a planet that is growing ever more inhospitable.

You are Princess Tahira of Avestan, a small kingdom to the west of humanity’s last great city, Babylon. The death of your brother has left you as the sole, unwilling heir to the Throne. After your anxiety over this burden sparked an argument with your father, you left Avestan to explore the lands that lie to the south.

A year later, a message arrives warning of a vast army intent on returning to the stars, crushing all who stand in its way, and begging you to return home.

When she left, Tahira intended never to return to Avestan. In her mind, she had absolved herself of her father, her title, and any responsibility to the people of the kingdom. However, she never expected to receive a desperate message from her father. A message warning of a vast army using ancient technology to sweep across the land, and crush those in their way. A message begging her to return home.

Now, her father is dead, Avestan lies in ruin, and it falls to Tahira to lead what remains of her people away from this devastation, to find a new home.

A story-driven RPG with a modern take on turn-based tactics gameplay

Tahira is first and foremost a game that tells a story. The combat gameplay is balanced with equally important narrative scenes, in which you'll have the opportunity to engage with the people following Tahira.
:dead:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seems like the devs of Banner Saga found a nice niche of people who want to tell stories and pad it with tactical battles. I can understand why, it allows them to remove all exploration and just jump from cutscene to battle to cutscene, yet still look "deep".

But damn, I never expected isometric, turn-based tactical battles to be a hideout for storyfags. FFT was story-heavy, but it was the combat system that drew people in...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why is that, felipe?

I'm a bit of a storyfag and a TBfag. I'm all for combining the two.
I'm not against it, I just find it odd. To me isometric tactical battles were always the more hardcore side of the spectrum, games like Jagged Alliance, X-COM, HOMM... not exactly storyfag stuff.

Maschtervoz

Learned
I like the sound of that dynamic turn system thing. Attrition as combat drags on sounds nice too, though I would have liked it more if fatigue effects were a bit more in depth than just defense drain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Story, story, story and even more story. It's like movies, TV shows and books are not made any more.

Still, it might be a good game.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not against it, I just find it odd. To me isometric tactical battles were always the more hardcore side of the spectrum, games like Jagged Alliance, X-COM, HOMM... not exactly storyfag stuff.

Yeah, fair enough. Edit: I'm not going to 'TB vs RT: Which is more hardcore and why?'. :lol:

I've always found it strange that there haven't been more story heavy tactical tb games. I think tactical tb games could lend themselves very, very nicely to a complex narrative with many actors.

Last edited:

A user named cat

Why is that, felipe?

I wish JA2 had featured more elements of storyfaggotry especially with Elliot and Deidranna. Their hilarious interractions were always something to look forward to.

V_K

Arcane
Why is that, felipe?

I think it might be because TB is a more cerebral affair and thus actually easier for storyfags to get into than RT, that nowadays often calls for arcade reflexes.
While I'm not exactly a storyfag, I don't care much about combat either, and the reason I prefer TB is that it provides a more relaxed pace.

Ebonsword

Arcane
From the Codex inbox:

Jesus Christ, this sounds like one of those terrible "girl power" fantasy epics that chicks love to write.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Written by a man, iirc. Not much different from hundreds of fantasy books if you switched the princess to a prince, tbh.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wish JA2 had featured more elements of storyfaggotry especially with Elliot and Deidranna. Their hilarious interractions were always something to look forward to.

Personally, I think they achieved the right balance of story related stuff with Elliot and Deidranna. Perhaps a tiny bit more might be OK, but too much and it would just come off bad.

A user named cat

Personally, I think they achieved the right balance of story related stuff with Elliot and Deidranna. Perhaps a tiny bit more might be OK, but too much and it would just come off bad.
Perhaps. I found their dialogue so enjoyable though that I would've sat through 30 minute unskippable cutscenes of Elliot being slapped and making the queen's life a stressful nightmare.

m_s0

Arcane
From the Codex inbox:

Jesus Christ, this sounds like one of those terrible "girl power" fantasy epics that chicks love to write.
Yup. If that's indicative of the writing quality I'd expect the story to be bottom of the barrel drivel. Focus on said drivel kind of seals the deal at that point. Unless the combat system turns out that damn good.

Angthoron

Arcane
Episode One will feature a dense and thrilling plot with fleshed out characters who develop over the course of the game. Taking cues from studios like Bioware and Telltale Games, decisions and progression you make in Episode One will continue to influence your journey through later episodes. We estimate Episode One will run for 4-5 hours and are designing it to have the density of an episodic Telltale game.
Wow, they really know how to make a guy interested, amazing inspiration sources, episodic content of mind-blowing lengths and Telltale and density in the same sentence, how can I refuse.

Morkar Left

Seems like the devs of Banner Saga found a nice niche of people who want to tell stories and pad it with tactical battles. I can understand why, it allows them to remove all exploration and just jump from cutscene to battle to cutscene, yet still look "deep".

But damn, I never expected isometric, turn-based tactical battles to be a hideout for storyfags. FFT was story-heavy, but it was the combat system that drew people in...

I wouldn't mind if it would become a subgenre for the people who enjoy this. Better this than disguising rpgs for that as it is for some time now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
(...) hardcore (...) HOMM (...)
Does not compute.
HoMM was the ultimate casual strategy game. I mean, even my sister played that like a madman (madwoman), and she is notoriously hard to be talked into gaming and hates learning systems that are more complicated than 'higher number = better'.

I would also say that games with extensive storyline are more directed towards 'hardcore' gamers than not. All the casual gamers I know rarely care about the story in the games they play (if there is even is any). They mostly want simple but engaging gameplay + good graphics and sound.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mico, are you posting from 1995 or something?

Look at today's games - The Last of Us, The Walking Dead, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Bioshock: Infinite... it's all about story, with gameplay being just busywork to spend the player's time until they can get moar cutscenes. HOMM is the "ultimate casual strategy game", but it's a strategy game. How popular are those nowadays? Do you really think that the average biodrone or telltalles fan casually plays HOMM ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom