Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tacticular Cancer Interview: Jagged Alliance: Flashback

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, Kickstarter tamed them quite a bit, they would have shit on it harder actually, with the usual apologists bawing that was the last hope to have a TB game

Two words: Banner Saga.

MCA
What is wrong with Banner Saga? I don't know about the story and couldn't care less about the Bioshit dialogue. So far, the combat is one of the most diverse and tactical small-scale TB experiences I've had. They've implemented some of the features common to pnp RPGs that I've always wished to see in a TB computer game.

At any rate, Kickstarter or not, I doubt the reception these slamdunk bloodsucker are getting would be very different. TB isn't a win word for anyone then, isn't now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is wrong with Banner Saga?

Maybe nothing's wrong with it, but you can be sure it wouldn't have gotten 700,000 dollars(!!!) today.

A year ago: A bunch of no-name TOR devs make 700k just by saying "TURN-BASED".

Today: A turn-based successor to the king of turn-based games isn't making its goal.

TB isn't a win word for anyone then

Oh yes it was.

Gozma

Arcane
I kinda wonder how you would do the UI for semi-naturalistic cover a la JA2 (as opposed to XCOM or Shadowrun Returns with obvious coverboxes that always provide 90 degree flanks etc). It's still kind of a pain even in 1.13 with overlays to grok what a piece of cover means. It's really common to be fighting in a bunch of tall grass and have one guy aim only to find out his angle is giving him some penalty to accuracy for no reason that an unassisted human eye looking at hex-grid isometric terrain can perceive, much less to see where flanks are reliably.

I dunno, am I wrong, do other people understand cover in JA2 more than me? I pretty much just abuse firepower in that game so cover doesn't matter except for screening visibility and shooting sightlines.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
A very good, and honest interview. Makes me proud to be with tcancer and have contributed some questions!

And I'm with the guy, especially what he writes towards the end. Track record or not, this initiative deserves a little more support. If people are going to make impossible demands just because it has Jagged Alliance on it, it will deter anyone from even attempting ar game in the genre.

In fact it's a miracle they are still sticking around with so little support, and not cancel the damn thing right away.

But if you do what BiA did and replaced the meat sauce with gummibears. Then it's not lasagna anymore.

Does not make it sound likely that they will eventually pull another BiA. They clearly have a different vision.

Bitcomposer is not even in the boat, they just gave the license, and may be sympathetic to the project because it could help repair their reputation.

Besides people should read the fucking updates, they sound quite promising to me.

P.S. Of course I don't agree on the inventory. Inventory management in 1.13 is pure heavan.

MCA
What is wrong with Banner Saga?

Maybe nothing's wrong with it, but you can be sure it wouldn't have gotten 700,000 dollars(!!!) today.

A year ago: A bunch of no-name TOR devs make 700k just by saying "TURN-BASED".

Today: A turn-based successor to the king of turn-based games isn't making its goal.

I don't think it was just the TURN-BASED that made Banner Saga for people. I think the art style, game elements hearkening back to older games like ROA series and BioWhore dialogues, along with TB, are all primary factors for people. I honestly wouldn't back it just for TB if the team didn't have a background of experience and understanding of the game development process or already established that old Disney art style with quality animations or didn't promise some of those game elements. Likewise, I estimate that most people were in it for a number of those but not specifically a single one. I'm purely speculating, of course.

Besides people should read the fucking updates, they sound quite promising to me.

Updates make it sound a lot worse. If anything, one should stop reading the updates to stay faithful.

Direwolf

Arcane
Updates make it sound a lot worse. If anything, one should stop reading the updates to stay faithful.

Pretty much this. I had $25 on this, but after reading all the updates and this interview I cancelled my pledge. They just do not sound like they have a plan, it sounds like they have a wish list, that might, or might not, happen.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the guy's answers in the interview are honest, this could become a pretty cool game.
I'll wait for release, though. Previous kickstarter projects have left me 1) spoiled and 2) out of cash, so I'm not too eager to back everything that uses the "turn-base" keyphrase anymore.

spectre

Arcane
Nobody's questioning their intentions. Their ability to deliver, on the other hand...
All in all, you could say the same for Mussolini, he also "meant well".

Not saying the Full Control guys aren't bros, though I feel they bit off more than they can chew with this kickstarter. Hopefully, they won't be discouraged and will show us that they really mean business in a year or two.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looking at the "TBS track record" ,all I see is iturd games.Do I miss something?Also 350k$ for JA game o_O where will they develop it ,in Africa?

Branm

Learned
They do have an turn based engine ready (Unity which they used for their previous titles + Space Hulk) so that cuts a lot off the dev budget.

spectre

Arcane
I think you use the term "ready" very loosely. If it is the engine they use for Frontline Tactics... boy it needs "some" work.

Branm

Learned
Yeah I know I'm using the term engine loosely because that's all they have given so far rofl..how much work it will need to move from Space Hulk to JA is any ones guess. Honestly if it weren't for Kevin Saunders putting a positive word in for these guys I wouldnt be backing.

spectre

Arcane
Well, I endured two hours worth of Frontline Tactics just to answer that question (see the relevant thread in the strategy games section).
I think a good estimate is that 95% of the features for JA2 are simply not there yet. Yeah, that leaves them with 5% less work to do, but still.

Now, Space Hulk is a different beast, and a much simpler game. From what I saw on the vids, it'll be a lot like a hi-res remake of the alien-assault-used-to-be-space-hulk game, maybe with some features added. If so, the Frontline Tactics engine is pretty accommodating for that purpose, as they really need to code a few additional functionalities and add the assets (and there aren't that many in Space Hulk).
I suspect that the major update of the Frontline Tactics engine to accomodate Space Hulk will mainly deal with graphics, better lighting effect and beefier actor models. FT looked stuck in the 2003 (obviously to accomodate iPads), Space Hulk looks closer to the year 2007.

Sure, it's just graphics, it doesn't matter for a strategy game, however, it is pretty evident that Full Control is in for quite a leap if they want to go from making Space Hulk to Jagged Alliance-type game.

Branm

Learned
Well Chris Camfield from Sir Tech is now involved. To be honest most recent update speaks volumes about them wantign whats best

Sgt. Rock

Literate
Ian Currie just pledged.
PA6gcKe.png

Might even do an interview.
s4ffsO6.png

So what does the :mob:think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom