Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Tacticular Cancer Interview: Jagged Alliance: Flashback

Discussion in 'Tacticular News & Content' started by Whisky, May 4, 2013.

1. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Full Control; Jagged Alliance: Flashback; Kickstarter; Tacticular Cancer Interview

[​IMG]

Thomas Hentschel Lund, the CEO and founder of Full Control has been kind enough to answer a few questions about their Kickstarter for Jagged Alliance: Flashback.

Read the full article: Tacticular Cancer Interview: Jagged Alliance: Flashback

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    Parrots:
    The guy gives a decent and seemingly candid interview. It would be nice to see this funded, but i'm not entirely convinced it will be.

^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You know, I have almost zero faith in anyone other than Ian Currie being able to make a proper Jagged Alliance game. (Especially given that Currie had long been wanting to make JA3 but couldn't find anyone willing to fund it, which makes the situation entirely unfair!) But I like this interview and I appreciate them answering our questions (which were really good btw, great job Whisky!) so I'm in for $25. It's just a $25, after all.

^ Top  
  4. Gakkone pretty cool guy eh Patron

Gakkone
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Good stuff Whisky. I finally pledged to the campaign. Not so much because I expect this to rival JA2 in quality but because the guy seems genuine about his intentions. And it's not like there are too many turn-based tactics games out there.

E: Although I hate how he continuously goes "the fans will shit on you no matter what" as if he's afraid of not pleasing everyone.

^ Top  
  5. zeitgeist Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:

I'm pretty sure the 1.13 I've been playing had all of those, have they been playing JA:BiA 1.13 instead?

^ Top  
  6. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    You gotta love how he claims that This Is The Last Chance For A New Jagged Alliance EVER!(tm). It's not like they've been trying to make a TB JA for years and years but the license owner said no. And they are not even the original developers. They literally said "bitComposer was looking to make a TB JA and we also were".

Plus, if you've been following the updates, there is a staggering amount of stupid in there. Just say no to this crap.

^ Top  
  7. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    You can see cover in JA2 Gold but I don't remember if they tweaked that in 1.13.

^ Top  
  8. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    Parrots:
    This is definitely something I'd love to see succeed, but my skepticism is high. I think it will be funded, but wonder if it will be enough monies, if they've given themselves enough time, etc. I can't say I'm a fan of kickstarters just based on concept art (Wasteland 2 being a notable exception).

^ Top  
  9. Nice interview, but in the end, the word 'honest' kicked me in the balls.
    Inb4 it succeeds, but the game will be shit.

^ Top  
  10. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    They already said that 350K$ is the bare minimum to make a very basic game, and they need 13K$ per day to get funded, higly unlikely.

^ Top  
  11. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Dunno about you guys, but to me this Thomas Hentschel Lund fellow sounds pretty goddamn clueless at times.

Take this section about the RPGies for instance:
    At first glance, it looks passable, but the more I read into it, the more derp I uncover.

Honest Injun, WW cou'd have done an interview with me, and I might have given a better impression.
    We've been through this, right, Laptop guy has no stats, hence, not an RPG.
    Please FFS show me you want to make a strategy game in the first place, and dare I say I'm really displeased when you forget to mention THE core of Jagged Alliance experience:
    lots of tactical flexibility available to the player, testing his tactical wit in a variety of scenarios - urban warfare, dense forests, lush jungles, scorched deserts, night combat, capturing, defending

You say this:
    - deep and complex, yet still enjoyable combat mechanics
    But this just makes it sound like your typical mmo, which you claim not to be making.
    And what the fuck is going on in that sentence anyway?
    Depth and complexity in a strategy game is now a bad thing?
    FFS. I know your target audience is supposed to be soccer dads, but please let's see some balls and less flip flopping.

And it gets slightly embarrasing when he plays the poor ole indie card near the end:
    Yo, like totally, guys, I met this Games Workshop guy at a convention and we're totally bros now, making a space hulk game an all. You should totally trust us with Jagged Alliance.

I confess I never seen any of their earlier games in action, and seeing how he pulls the "track record" argument, I assumed it would be worthwhile to look at.
    Well, tell you what, Thomas, you've got some chutzpah, I give you that. I admit, Space Hulk trailers looks quite decent, but the rest of your resume...not so much.

So, to sum up, we have a company name that's hard to google properly, we have a CEO who instead of doing the executive thing and inspire confidence gives off an impression that their plan is pretty much to figure this shit out as they go
    (or is this the executive thing, I am confused). Yep, totally, everyone's dying to trust you with their money.

I like that he shows some determination near the end, planning to see this Jagged Alliance remake thing to the end.
    Though I'd like him to realize that if it fails, it's not really about the gamers and it's not about the IP, it's about them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    There are...but not on PC.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    I hope they won't make it. They will make a shit game. Would you like the first TB JA game to come out after so many years to be a shit game? It's okay that BIA is shit because it's RTwP to begin with.

New update and prepare yourselves for...

The Attack of The CONSOLITIS!

Sure will.

Then in the comments, trying to explain their position:

And then they wonder why the hostility.

They also put what they call a "diorama", supposedly to "work out the artstyle"

[​IMG]

That right there, the perfect demonstration of amateur modder mindset. Stay the fuck away from these guys, people.

^ Top  
  14. zeitgeist Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    So again something that already exists in JA2? This is getting very silly.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Ok, I read this bit about the inventory management... twice.
    And I'm still not sure what the bloody, bloody, bloody hell is he on about.
    Are they planning to have good ole sector inventory like we have in JA2? If so, just say so and let's be done with it.
    And if it's going to be different than JA2 sector inventory, what are you planning, spit it out man, FFS.

All this dicking about may be a jab at Ja:BiA - IIRC the poor shite did not even have proper sector inventory until they hacked it together in a patch, so he used it as a point of reference.
    That, or the poor sod has never played JA2 in his life, dang me, whichever is more likely?

Can't these people take a hint? The hardcore players you put your trust in would like a clear message: Jagged Alliance 2 had features X, Y and Z. We're keeping X and Y intact, while Z will now be more like Ą and Ć because: Justification.

Also, mad props for the awsum ak model. Did it take half a month to make?

^ Top  
  16. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    He also didn't specify whether he meant a safe, clear sector or any sector as long as you're not in combat.

^ Top  
  17. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Well, the way he emphasized how controversial this feature is going to be, I'd vote for any sector, while not in combat.
    But with the communication skills on this guy, you can never know.

^ Top  
  18. zeitgeist Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    Interview from two weeks ago, but I only stumbled upon it on Bear's Pit just now. Guess this answers the "did they ever actually play JA2" question. It would also appear as if though they've never played any of the games from that era either. Or have owned a computer at that point in time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/17/squad-chat-jagged-alliance-flashback-interview/

Glorious progress, you can calculate a specific tile's cover bonus in a turn-based game on the fly now. Only a few years until realtime combat is possible. Or even first person perspective!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Parrots:
    Only definitively honest part of this interview.

But blind optimists gonna be blind optimists I suppose...

Or did bitcomposer "donate" a generous sum to Codex?

:hmmm:

^ Top  
  20. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    Fuck these losers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    Parrots:
    MCA
    Amazing. The more they talk, the more they sink.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fact: A year ago the Codex would have jizzed all over this.

^ Top  
  23. zeitgeist Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  25. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    No, Kickstarter tamed them quite a bit, they would have shit on it harder actually, with the usual apologists bawing that was the last hope to have a TB game

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)