Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Tactical Simulations Interactive founded by SSI alumni

I'm still butthurt about Secret of the Silver Blades even to this very day. Imagine the look of disappointment plastered all over my pimple-ridden teenage face when I discovered there was no overland map. NO OVERLAND MAP.
:killit:

PoR had one:
640px-Pool_of_Radiance_Overland.png

CoB had one:
curse-overland.png

PoD had one:
pod-overland.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
From their FB account, they say they will use Unity Engine, so I doubt the project will be a remake of one of the Golbox games when they could use Dungeon Craft engine to do so
Now the question is will they go for a KS project, with or without the DD licence?
I don't think you understand the mentality of developers. They don't want to create something similar to what the fans of the series liked.
They want to create something that follows their current tastes.
It's possible that their Goldbox "spiritual successor" would look very different and would be full of horrible "modern" mechanics.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
TSI does not need the name of the old SSI games, nor do they need official D&D sponsor, nor anyone else to be involved. I believe they have the creativity to create their own new entity and create their own computer gaming system, that would make the most sense for them, that way they would need no-ones authorization or approval. That would be the best thing for them to do. IMO. That way they could do whatever they want and create something new.

Back in 1995, they already tried.

I believe "We're back with new new Pool of motherfucking Radiance" has way more kickstarter potential than "We're back with new Thunderscape... what do you mean, 'what's a Thunderscape'??"
Thunderscape could have worked. If they made it a Goldbox style game, not a blobber.

mondblut

Arcane
TSI does not need the name of the old SSI games, nor do they need official D&D sponsor, nor anyone else to be involved. I believe they have the creativity to create their own new entity and create their own computer gaming system, that would make the most sense for them, that way they would need no-ones authorization or approval. That would be the best thing for them to do. IMO. That way they could do whatever they want and create something new.

I believe "We're back with new new Pool of motherfucking Radiance" has way more kickstarter potential than "We're back with new Thunderscape... what do you mean, 'what's a Thunderscape'??"
Thunderscape could have worked. If they made it a Goldbox style game, not a blobber.

Thunderscape was a decent game in its own right, and pretty innovative at that, being the first sad attempt to marry realtime 3d movement to TB blobber combat (hello Wiz8, M&M6+ et al). But it passed by unnoticed, was quickly forgotten, and is now the last thing to cross our collective mind when we think SSI. Were they to gang up for its sake, it would end up like Thorwalia, and I am sure they realize that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Thunderscape was a decent game in its own right, and pretty innovative at that, being the first sad attempt to marry realtime 3d movement to TB blobber combat (hello Wiz8, M&M6+ et al). But it passed by unnoticed, was quickly forgotten, and is now the last thing to cross our collective mind when we think SSI. Were they to gang up for its sake, it would end up like Thorwalia, and I am sure they realize that.
I think the isometric and gory Entomorph was more popular than Thunderscape, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So 'a lot of people say' is one nerd in a basement? Is that what you are reduced to? What happened to actually PLAYING a game YOURSELF? And Countdown to Doomsday is an awesome game, so fuck that guy.
I figure if Mr. I'm-going-to-play-every-crpg-ever says an old game is boring then it's boring.

As for me, shit systems, shit interface, will not play.

Dorateen

Arcane
Here's a little something for those not familiar with or haven't appreciated the work of Dave Shelley. This is written in regard to his post-adventure dungeon in Death Knights of Krynn:

One of SSI's game authors has earned a reputation for designing "killer" mazes and encounters. Do you remember the brain parasites in Buck Rogers, or the rescue of the nomad princess in Pool of Radiance? Customarily, we've toned down these encounters before publication of the games.

This time is different.

This time we encouraged him to go ahead and do his worst.

I'm still butthurt about Secret of the Silver Blades even to this very day. Imagine the look of disappointment plastered all over my pimple-ridden teenage face when I discovered there was no overland map. NO OVERLAND MAP.

PoR had one:

CoB had one:
curse-overland.png

PoD had one:
pod-overland.png
Secret of the Silver Blades was full of spam copy pasta mobs and hordes. One corridor seemed infinite and was full of encounters.
It seems rushed (understatement) the fact that it is lacking something like an overland map is no surprise. It was also very linear.

Alchemist

Arcane
Excellent news.

Hope they don't plan on working with Wotc/Hasbro/4E/5E retards.

just use the Pathfinder system FFS.

Fixed that for you....
Nope, you didn't.
The 3.5 SRD is totally free to use, the PF is totally not.
The Pathfinder system is OGL so it's just as legally usable as 3.5. A game dev could legally use the rules of the Pathfinder SRD, but not the Pathfinder name or any closed content / intellectual property such as the world of Golarian and stuff like that.

I actually think they are best off rolling their own d20 OGL-based system, which would give them the most flexibility. This avoids having WotC breathing down their necks and influencing things. They could still mechanically make it as much like AD&D as they wanted, just like OSR PnP RPG designers do. Or they can use some of the mechanics of Pathfinder if they want. But of course having the D&D license is huge from a marketing standpoint.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

PoR had one:

CoB had one:
curse-overland.png

PoD had one:
pod-overland.png

Those maps, those beautiful glorious overland maps - dear god let them remake something true to Pool of Radiance. Don't modernize the movement, I want to be able to tap my way from the inn to the shop to the Phlan Ruins, even if they don't have a license and it's the Ruins of New Phlun now.

dragonbait

Augur

PoR definitely has the name recognition, more so than other SSI titles, though they probably don't have the rights to use the names. Besides, my point was they should make a new series. Something original + never used before. They can always throw in the words "inspired by the following games.....[fill in the blank] in the description of the game product.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Considering their Facebook page says they're going to "take the most engaging aspects of their early RPGs and update them for the modern audience" I'm going to laugh if you guise get blindsided by a spiritual successor/sequel to Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger (also featured prominently on the page).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am starting to get hyped.

Not sure why, their feed says "Bringing Goldbox experience (so far so good) to the modern generation (yuck!)"

buzz

Arcane
:negative: Oh god I hope it's not a kickstarter. I'd be devastated if it doesn't get funded because "muh logos" and "muh physical tier" or other insignificant shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If they actually do their homework, they could do quite a successful Kickstarter.

If they approach it as OMG! WE'RE OLD SSI! GIVE MONEY PLZ! Then well no....

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am starting to get hyped.

Not sure why, their feed says "Bringing Goldbox experience (so far so good) to the modern generation (yuck!)"
If they tried to make a game just for their old audience, they'd go out of business. :D

Shannow

Waster of Time
:fuuyeah:

Although...
Countdowns are retarded decline crap. So I have to expect a "spiritual" sucksessor to Halo. :troll:

jdinatale

Cipher
It's going to be really obnoxious if they just show a couple of concept arts, make a pandering video about nostalgia and the good old days, and then people throw $1,000,000 at them.

But that approach seems to work for Fargo, so who knows.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thunderscape seems like a plausible setting, since it was SSI's own property. Wouldn't mind going back to battle some nocturnals. Wizard's Crown was a precursor to the Gold Box games, so doing a project in that vein would suit me fine.

The design configuaration I would like to see, though, is first person exploration with a switch to isometric tactical maps for combat. It's been a long time since something like that was done.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wizard's Crown is also one of MCA's favorite games, which equals some free publicity from him and Obsidian in general :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom