Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Tactical Simulations Interactive founded by SSI alumni

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cash Grab or not, if they just modernize Pool of Radiance I would buy the shit out of that - I still play the original once a year.

UBISoft owns all the old SSI games, so they can't do that. And also that is a D&D game, so WoTC/HASBRO would have to also be involved.

dragonbait

Augur
Cash Grab or not, if they just modernize Pool of Radiance I would buy the shit out of that - I still play the original once a year.

UBISoft owns all the old SSI games, so they can't do that. And also that is a D&D game, so WoTC/HASBRO would have to also be involved.

TSI does not need the name of the old SSI games, nor do they need official D&D sponsor, nor anyone else to be involved. I believe they have the creativity to create their own new entity and create their own computer gaming system, that would make the most sense for them, that way they would need no-ones authorization or approval. That would be the best thing for them to do. IMO. That way they could do whatever they want and create something new. We will just have to wait and see what they actually do.

I suppose in 9 days we will at least get a glimpse into what they are planning.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
TSI does not need the name of the old SSI games, nor do they need official D&D sponsor, nor anyone else to be involved. I believe they have the creativity to create their own new entity and create their own computer gaming system, that would make the most sense for them, that way they would need no-ones authorization or approval. That would be the best thing for them to do. IMO. That way they could do whatever they want and create something new. We will just have to wait and see what they actually do.

I suppose in 9 days we will at least get a glimpse into what they are planning.

Oh I completely agree. I hope whatever project they are working on is hopefully has no Publisher/Licensed IP involvement.

But who knows.......

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What was wrong with Silver Blades? If anything PoD was kind of retarded since, as the final installment, they felt the need to throw everything including the kitchen sink at you. At a certain point it got tedious slogging through hordes of Pet of Kalistes, Bits o' Moander, Greater Whatever Demons, and assorted ancient dragons.

Zetor

Arcane
It'll obviously be Thunderscape 2! Just imagine this playing in a loop.

I highly doubt they will make anything that could be even remotely be called shitty. These guys were at the top of their game + the industry's game in the 80's/90's Wargames/CRPG scene.

I have high hopes for their new project/s. Think positive thoughts, people. :D
SSI went out of business for good reasons though.

David Shelley was partially responsible for the design of Secret of the Silver Blades and Countdown to Doomsday which a lot of people say are really terrible.
I'll agree with SSB being crap (it's probably the least memorable gold box game), but I think CtD was one of the better goldbox games. It was certainly better than Matrix Cubed (bleh).

Guys, check this out: From TSI's webpage:
DwNkmGB.png

And compare it to this:
oWcPQZR.png

Notice anything in common?

I actually think it's in the realm of possibility this could be a real D&D licensed project.

In any case, this is exciting news! I like how it's a mashup of TSR and SSI names. 9 days is the tail end of GenCon - so maybe an announcement will be made there.

excellent point, that really does look very similar to the dragon head in the & symbol. Is D&D 5th edition as good as any of the 1-3 editions were?

I highly doubt they will make anything that could be even remotely be called shitty. These guys were at the top of their game + the industry's game in the 80's/90's Wargames/CRPG scene.

I have high hopes for their new project/s. Think positive thoughts, people. :D
SSI went out of business for good reasons though.

David Shelley was partially responsible for the design of Secret of the Silver Blades and Countdown to Doomsday which a lot of people say are really terrible.

They went out of business like 15 years after that

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It *would* be interesting if they did approach WotC/HASBRO to do a new D&D game. As long as they want to bring back the old school PnP mechanics present in the Gold Box Games (and building that further), that might not be a bad thing. Just depending on their approach to this...... as in non casual dumbed down garbage.

Wizfall

Cipher
A FANTASY GENERAL sequel please !
The first is still the best video wargame i know,i would love another one.
Moreover this kind of game can be make on very low budget as they don't need lot/expensive graphics.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
From their FB account, they say they will use Unity Engine, so I doubt the project will be a remake of one of the Golbox games when they could use Dungeon Craft engine to do so
Now the question is will they go for a KS project, with or without the DD licence?

catfood

AGAIN
The D&D license would grant them a lot of publicity, but I doubt WOTC/Hasbro would be interested in it. Then again I like to think that it's no coincidence that we receive this news in the same month as D&D Next comes out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From their FB account, they say they will use Unity Engine, so I doubt the project will be a remake of one of the Golbox games when they could use Dungeon Craft engine to do so
Why would they want to use a bad nostalgia-driven interface/engine with all its limitations when they could make a better one themselves?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Why would they want to use a bad nostalgia-driven interface/engine with all its limitations when they could make a better one themselves?
True, but as we still don't know nothing about what they want to do, after all, all theorys are valid

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Excellent news.

Hope they don't plan on working with Wotc/Hasbro/4E/5E retards.

just use the Open Source 3.5 system FFS.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

You can easily make a Gold Box type game with the Unity engine.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Guys, check this out: From Obsidian's webpage:
obsidian_ouroboros_logo_1.jpg

And compare it to this:

TheElderScrollsOnline-Ouroboros.jpg

Notice anything in common?

I actually think it's in the realm of possibility this could be a real Elder Scrolls project

Don't get your hopes up by comparing logos, many of us were dead certain Obsidian was making a TES spinoff in their kickstarter.

mondblut

Arcane
TSI does not need the name of the old SSI games, nor do they need official D&D sponsor, nor anyone else to be involved. I believe they have the creativity to create their own new entity and create their own computer gaming system, that would make the most sense for them, that way they would need no-ones authorization or approval. That would be the best thing for them to do. IMO. That way they could do whatever they want and create something new.

Back in 1995, they already tried.

I believe "We're back with new new Pool of motherfucking Radiance" has way more kickstarter potential than "We're back with new Thunderscape... what do you mean, 'what's a Thunderscape'??"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Buck Rogers? That game was awesome!
I was thinking specifically of http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/12/buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday-final.html which says the combat content is pretty banal.

So 'a lot of people say' is one nerd in a basement? Is that what you are reduced to? What happened to actually PLAYING a game YOURSELF? And Countdown to Doomsday is an awesome game, so fuck that guy.

Will I finally get a Soldiers at War sequel?

I thought I was the only one that played it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom