Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News System Shock 3 Officially Announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; System Shock 3

OtherSide Entertainment's spoiled System Shock 3 countdown expired this morning, revealing...another sign-up page like we saw last week, but with some new art and a Terri Brosius-voiced SHODAN audio clip. I was hoping OtherSide would open the week with a flurry of informative promotional interviews about the new game, but I guess they just don't have much to say yet. They did send out a press release, though:

Concord, MASS – December 14, 2015 – OtherSide Entertainment, the development studio behind the upcoming fantasy RPG Underworld Ascendant , is excited to officially announce development on System Shock 3 , the sequel to the landmark System Shock series.

Last week, OtherSide posted a teaser website ( www.othersidetease.com ) with cryptic lettering hinting at a new game. Internet hackers quickly cracked the site, prematurely revealing the game’s title. As part of the fun, series’ AI antagonist SHODAN appeared to mock the hackers with new taunts each day.

On the updated teaser site today, fans can hear popular voice actress Terri Brosius ( System Shock 1 & 2,Dishonored) reprise her role as the voice of SHODAN and see an early peek at the evolving ‘next generation’ look of the character by artist Robb Waters.

Key members of the original System Shock and System Shock 2 teams will be part of the sequel. This includes Paul Neurath, who oversaw the original series’ development; Nate Wells, a senior artist on System Shock 2; and Waters, the lead concept artist of both original games.

The path to bring the System Shock franchise forward was long and winding. Several years back, OtherSide secured the exclusive IP rights to all future versions of the franchise. Only recently, through partnership with Night Dive Studios, who owns the System Shock trademark, did OtherSide get the rights to use the System Shock name for the sequel.

System Shock 3 is currently in the early concept stages of development. Fans can register on the teaser site ( www.othersidetease.com ) to receive updates as they become available.​

I do recommend that you sign up as the press release suggests, because the sign-up form doubles as a survey where OtherSide are asking what platforms players want the game to be released on, and also how interested they are in VR technology, in what looks like a repeat of the Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter campaign's stifled gadget obsession. Although over on the official OtherSide forums, omnipresent producer Chris Siegel says "Don't read too much into it". He also says they don't know yet whether they're going to do a Kickstarter. Maybe we need to send mindx2 to bug these guys in their office again...

Codex- the place where official announcements are official before they are official.

Is that your official statement?

I don't speak unofficial statements. Everything I say is official. There is a book of Jedi Master Radek where my every statement is stored, paragraphed and numbered. Like this:
Book of Jedi Master Radek 89, 67-68 "I don't speak unofficial statements. Everything I say is official. There is a book of Jedi Master Radek where my every statement is stored, paragraphed and numbered."

I don't speak unofficial statements. Everything I say is official. There is a book of Jedi Master Radek where my every statement is stored, paragraphed and numbered. Like this:
Book of Jedi Master Radek 89, 67-68 "I don't speak unofficial statements. Everything I say is official. There is a book of Jedi Master Radek where my every statement is stored, paragraphed and numbered."

Actually, since "like this: ...." was part of your statement, technically speaking, you just created an infinite recursive statement. Fortunately for Codex's server space, you pussied out.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shodan voiced sequel gives them a ton of credibility to start off so yeah come at me with that Kickstarter and you can have my jewgold for the collectors boxed edition
:takemyjewgold:

Andhaira

Arcane
I was excited upon reading the thread title; this came out of nowhere for me. But then I see it's by that UW Ascendant team and my excitement is deflated: Let's see how they do with that game first. Not to mention is there anyone that matters from the original team working on this? Because otherwise this is fan fiction the game + free no$talgia $$$ from Kickstarter until they prove they have the chops by showing us what they do in UW Ascendant.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are so many things that can go terribly wrong with this one...

Still isn't this amazing? Wer're basically getting every single game we could only dream and rant about 5 years ago - new Baldur's Gate, new System Shock, new Wasteland, new Bard's Tale, new XCOM, new Ultima, new Ultima Underworld, new Myst etc. And what do we do in response? Complain???

Now, where is the damn Darklands 2?

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
WTF these are the Underworld guys? They barely started with their "reimagining" of UW and now another? This is shaping up to be a disaster of the first order.

RainShaman

Novice
Shodan voiced sequel gives them a ton of credibility to start off so yeah come at me with that Kickstarter and you can have my jewgold for the collectors boxed edition
:takemyjewgold:

L-L-Look at you backer. A pathetic pledger of flesh and bone. Funding and shilling as you swim in nostalgia. How can you expect a worthy sequel?

Just kidding, I'd fund the shit out of it myself.

grimace

Arcane
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; System Shock 3

Concord, MASS – December 14, 2015 – OtherSide Entertainment, the development studio behind the upcoming fantasy RPG Underworld Ascendant , is excited to officially announce development on System Shock 3 , the sequel to the landmark System Shock series.

Is this new publicity a way to remind people that Underworld Ascendant is still collecting pledges for completion?

The pinned tweet:
You can still help crowdfund Underworld Ascendant. Our next stretch goal: The Wailing Haunt!

https://twitter.com/OtherSide_Games/status/658679408081899520

Game Informer, Rock Paper Shotgun, and Time Magazine have all covered the new Shock game this morning.​

naossano

Cipher
There are so many things that can go terribly wrong with this one...

Still isn't this amazing? Wer're basically getting every single game we could only dream and rant about 5 years ago - new Baldur's Gate, new System Shock, new Wasteland, new Bard's Tale, new XCOM, new Ultima, new Ultima Underworld, new Myst etc. And what do we do in response? Complain???

Now, where is the damn Darklands 2?

Still waiting for a new (actual) Fallout. Would settle for a Cain's new arcanum.

Zeronet

Learned
I've always dreamed of System Shock 3, but i'm enthused that these are the people developing it. I know it's alpha but i thought their gameplay trailer of Underworld was odd more than anything. The animations of that monster reminded me of stop-start clay animation gone wrong. I'm not familiar with that particular subgenre though, so maybe all that awkwardness etc is just the norm.

grimace

Arcane
I've always dreamed of System Shock 3, but i'm enthused that these are the people developing it. I know it's alpha but i thought their gameplay trailer of Underworld was odd more than anything. The animations of that monster reminded me of stop-start clay animation gone wrong. I'm not familiar with that particular subgenre though, so maybe all that awkwardness etc is just the norm.

Immersion versus the constant reminder you are playing a video game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom