Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Ash

Arcane
I had a lot of problems with HR

Don't even get me started, mate. I could write an essay on the issues I have with it. It is far from the design excellence of the original and its cousins (System shock 2 etc). But all things said it is good and has many core, commonly thought to be inaccessible game features, like a grid-based inventory :drools:

m_s0

Arcane

:cool: This probably would done better on Kickstarter than Underworld. At least they can use Underworld's code to make it an even better game.

All they need to do is get Terri Brosius to record a few lines, really.

Misaka Mikoto

Literate
I had a lot of problems with HR

Don't even get me started, mate. I could write an essay on the issues I have with it. It is far from the design excellence of the original and its cousins (System shock 2 etc). But all things said it is good and has many core, commonly thought to be inaccessible game features, like a grid-based inventory :drools:
Ha! You edited. I saw you say “brothers” and bit my tongue over Invisible War. Kudos for the clarification.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think that they should finish at least UA, before they launch an SS3 KS, and show us that they still can make an exciting good game. And before i have not seen a good UA, i will be not excited about this. (the voice of reason and skepticism)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why are you get excited for this you bunch of retards?

Timeout, bro.

I've seen you post over in the Psychonauts 2 thread, where you're all defending Tim Schafer and that. But then this comes along, and we get this response from you.

Not cool.

People have beef against Schafer for various reasons, and I get that, but I still wanna see more Psychonauts.

This is just the same: I wanna see more System Shock. The difference is that very few here have beef against former members of Looking Glass Studios...Warren Spector being the sole expection, probably. The "old gang" getting together and trying to apply their vision from 20-25 years ago to modern-day gaming - it's worth looking at it, even though the game(s) may not be as great as they were back then.

In both cases we're in "early" territory in the development of these titles and have little to base our opinions on, but the hope is still there. I've learned that coming in and dashing people's hopes like you're doing here isn't a cool thing. The "edgy" style of getting your point across died with the 1990s, and people should learn to grow up a bit, if only to learn some self-retraint.

I loathe Bethesda and their Bethesdtards, but you don't see me going "over there" and telling them that they're brain-addled retrobates for playing Fallout 4. It doesn't get me anywhere. Right now I could dig up something you love and care about, and start spewing hate all over that. But why should I? I don't gain anything from it, nor will anyone else.

So instead of spewing hate and bile in one direction and then being a messianic savior in the other...just skip it. Drop the act. Sometimes silence is the best answer.

Yes, I know System Shock 3 (and Underworld Ascendant for that matter) could end up being a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and sometimes you can tell such things a mile away - but right now is Too Soon. There's no reason to spew hatred.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Timeout, bro.

I've seen you post over in the Psychonauts 2 thread, where you're all defending Tim Schafer and that. But then this comes along, and we get this response from you.

Not cool.

People have beef against Schafer for various reasons, and I get that, but I still wanna see more Psychonauts.

This is just the same: I wanna see more System Shock. The difference is that very few here have beef against former members of Looking Glass Studios...Warren Spector being the sole expection, probably. The "old gang" getting together and trying to apply their vision from 20-25 years ago to modern-day gaming - it's worth looking at it, even though the game(s) may not be as great as they were back then.

In both cases we're in "early" territory in the development of these titles and have little to base our opinions on, but the hope is still there. I've learned that coming in and dashing people's hopes like you're doing here isn't a cool thing. The "edgy" style of getting your point across died with the 1990s, and people should learn to grow up a bit, if only to learn some self-retraint.

I loathe Bethesda and their Bethesdtards, but you don't see me going "over there" and telling them that they're brain-addled retrobates for playing Fallout 4. It doesn't get me anywhere. Right now I could dig up something you love and care about, and start spewing hate all over that. But why should I? I don't gain anything from it, nor will anyone else.

So instead of spewing hate and bile in one direction and then being a messianic savior in the other...just skip it. Drop the act. Sometimes silence is the best answer.

Yes, I know System Shock 3 (and Underworld Ascendant for that matter) could end up being a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and sometimes you can tell such things a mile away - but right now is Too Soon. There's no reason to spew hatred.
I always feel bad when someone tells me that I was wrong in a civilized manner on the Codex. :( It makes me remember that sometimes I act like the idiots I hate here.

To my defense, I thought this dev team are just a bunch of nobodies acquiring the rights ot the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To my defense, I thought this dev team are just a bunch of nobodies acquiring the rights ot the game.

To be fair, you're not far off from the truth there. It's just that those same bunch of nobodies actually knew whom should develop those rights for them.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is probably gonna be complete dumbed down console piece of flaming shit.

But let's see.
From my experience with their other project, Underworld Ascendant, It's probably not. That game definitely isn't 'dumbed down' and it feels like Otherside knows where to innovate when it counts. It might end up being on a console, maybe, since you can pretty much multiply your profit by 3 to 4 times that way, but it's definitely not going to be the normal console garbage that most people play.

Ash

Arcane
I'm merely talking about the influence and manipulation of culture and industry. It's how the world works: leaders lead and influence, followers follow. That's what that whole sub is at its core: r/shilling.

Last edited:

ZylonBane

Novice
Haven't played previous System Shocks. Should I play this one?
My god, yes. If you think you're not up to stomaching the 1999 graphics, with current mods it's looking quite tolerable these days, and the "NewDark" patch released a couple years ago means it runs near-flawlessly on modern systems. Native widescreen and everything.

duanth123

Arcane

Timeout, bro.

Not cool.

The problem with such an approach is that it does nothing to guard against the daily injections of magical thinking you can expect to receive as a consumer, much more so as one of video game products.

Either directly through the marketing beast itself or the sock puppets who might sense some gain to be had from defending the indefensible...

I won't go so far as to call people who are excited for SS3 names. Like easily duped. Or consumer sluts. Or useful idiots. Or vectors of artificially-constructed mental viruses that cause people to act and think in ways contrary to their best interest. Because the lilkelihood is that most people excited for this title, at least here on the 'Dex, aren't.Have the decency to maintain their standards.

But you can't expect some not to express a sort of blunt exasperation that, yet again, fans of a once-great series are being led to what is almost assuredly, when the magical thinking is stripped away and the question of exactly "how and why" is laid bare, a slaughterhouse.

People need to be reminded of the vice of optimism. And the sin of hope. And the great taste of Charleston Chew

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also SS3 needs to be the end of Shodan, one way or another : every time a vilain comes back, it becomes more of a joke...

What's that sonny? Couldn't hear you through all the PEACE THROUGH POWER!

936full-command-%26-conquer-3_-kane's-wrath-screenshot.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom