Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Perkel

Arcane
What if Shodan in SS3 will transfer herself into human body ?
"Well i tried hacker, but you won. Now i will be meat and bones just like you"

And game actually will be dating sims like game where you have to live with shodan.

MTS2_EsmeraldaF_967214_SHODAN_in_the_kitchen.jpg

:abyssgazer:

baturinsky

Arcane
The immediate problem with bringing back SHODAN is finding a way out of that stupid Rebecca Siddons endgame reveal.
Christine's https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=3.0 fan campaign takes up from Rebecca's pod getting to some remote station and Shodan taking it over. Or something like that, I don't remember details.

And Shodan being software means that it can easily be in several places at ones.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bleah 0 faith since they are bringing back SHODAN which means it will probably be a sucky nostalgia fest. While cool, her return in SS 2 was already pretty dumb.

I don't want her to turn into Dracula from Castlevania.
So you are saying Dracula wasn't already a tired cliché begging to be put out of his misery by the time Castlevania was released? Hell, he was a cliché by the 1950s!

We will get Shodan in the game whether we'd like to or not. The Kickstarter-based game development model is largely nostalgia-driven. It is all about mobilising a large, established fanbase to convince themselves and their friends to fork over the cash. After they do their obligatory fanservice, they may think about innovation, and I hope they do. But them's the dues.

Luka-boy

Arcane
My status: Panting and sweating.
:shredder:

Now seriously, while I've been burned too many times to be excited about this kind of thing, at least I don't feel quite as pessimistic about this as I normally would.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What if Shodan in SS3 will transfer herself into human body ?
"Well i tried hacker, but you won. Now i will be meat and bones just like you"

And game actually will be dating sims like game where you have to live with shodan.

MTS2_EsmeraldaF_967214_SHODAN_in_the_kitchen.jpg

:abyssgazer:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how high are you?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sorry guise, the chance of this ending like a clusterfuck is too high, don't want to have my hopes raised again to just disappointment.

Cthulhu_is_love

Have they delivered something yet with Underworld Ascendant? I don't think so!
So how could you be so naive in thinking this will be not shit?:cry:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
System Shock 2

Release date:
August 1999

Project budget: $1.7 million

Project length: 18 months

Team size: 15 full-time developers, 10-15 part-time developers

Now, Otherside Entertainment is like 6 people which are already working on another challenging project - Underworld Ascendant.

Their progress on that project is underwhelming (check below) and that's why I don't think they will actually finish either one of these projects.

Is that the character talking? Le fuck is that shit?

nil

Cipher
The immediate problem with bringing back SHODAN is finding a way out of that stupid Rebecca Siddons endgame reveal.
Why? It's the perfect setup for the perfect sequel:

An ancient evil is coming from beyond known space, and SHODAN is the only thing that can stop it. She wasn't actually evil, but she picked up the ancient evil's transmissions and it made her act crazy. But by taking over Rebecca, she became immune to the signal and now she can save the galaxy and you can romance her.

Also Diego was working for said ancient evil, and the plans for SHODAN were found in a temple of an ancient civilization that once tried to fight the ancient evil.

I think it would be a story that respects the originals, while at the same time expands the game's universe and introduces new themes like destiny and the conflict between good and evil.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Why? It's the perfect setup for the perfect sequel:

An ancient evil is coming from beyond known space, and SHODAN is the only thing that can stop it. She wasn't actually evil, but she picked up the ancient evil's transmissions and it made her act crazy. But by taking over Rebecca, she became immune to the signal and now she can save the galaxy and you can romance her.

Also Diego was working for said ancient evil, and the plans for SHODAN were found in a temple of an ancient civilization that once tried to fight the ancient evil.

I think it would be a story that respects the originals, while at the same time expands the game's universe and introduces new themes like destiny and the conflict between good and evil.

+1

Azazel

Arbiter
Who is paying the money to develop this?

I would bust a nut if Valve or Oculus is throwing cash at it as a native VR title.

Holy shit can you even think of a more appropriate IP? A team better suited for exploring the medium? I certainly cannot.

Also,

Y'know, with NightDive having acquired the System Shock license, I wonder what the chances are of a legit SS3 project if Underworld does well.

:dance:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I would bust a nut if Valve or Oculus is throwing cash at it as a native VR title.

Holy shit can you even think of a more appropriate IP? A team better suited for exploring the medium?

e76mXfS.jpg

Misaka Mikoto

Literate
If I recall, System Shock was originally written as a trilogy—that is, the plot for System Shock 3 was already written when System Shock 2 released. They got, I believe, a professional writer to write them a novelish sort of narrative that ran from the first to the third.

However, EA required them to slap in, at the last minute, the Rebecca Simmons ending; it wasn’t part of the script as written, and it doesn’t fit into the prewritten narrative.

That said, I’m glad Ken Levine isn’t going to go all Bioshock with this, and I’m not so happy that Warren Spector is a consultant; I wish Doug Church were involved.

Warren: Why can't I fight my way through a Thief mission?

Doug: Well you can... but you'd be playing your own game.

Doug- The game isn't about defeating the AI, they're foils like you
said... not the enemy. The AI could defeat you if we wanted it to. "I
think I hear something ... pause pause pause", "I better investigate
... pause pause pause..." "I guess it was rats ... Loud footsteps"

Doug: Thief is a game about territory. In each game the player and the
AI have their safe zones, but to get to the player's goal they need to
adjust that territory by changing the environment.

Warren: How is standing and waiting fun?

Doug: Make the player about to do something. Those moments are losing
someone and waiting for the AI to calm down, or waiting to bonk
someone on the head when they turn around. We have to provoke those
feelings in the player to make the game fun.

------------------

Warren: Why in Thief am I given so little information about the
mission and what I'm getting into?

Doug: We did it deliberately, not that it wasn't discussed endlessly.
There was lots of team chaos and discussion. We wanted Thief to be a
game that forces the user to dynamically react to what occurs. We
didn't want a lot of planning, we wanted it to be played on the fly.
Give the player enough information for an initial plan of attack.

Warren: (shakes his head) I want more direction on how big the mission
is. You never know how close you are to your goals or some general
difficulty information.

Warren: The other thing is that I'd be less upset if you'd replenished
my inventory. It's so inconsistently replenished that I don't know if
this is a time to use my fire arrows.

Doug: But that's not strategy... the player shouldn't know.

Warren: I just want informed choices..

Doug: We didn't want our players to hoard inventory... we wanted them
to run out and use them. In games like first person shooters,
inventory and powerups are very short term (like quake). That's true
of most games of that style. You don't get a large stream of powerups
and the play is determined by skill. This isn't final fantasy with
3000 healing potions.

Warren: (emphatically) But I have no way of knowing that the barracks
is full of guards!

Doug: SCOUT THE BARRACKS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom