Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, whoever had the rights to sell to Otherside at a price they could afford is p. fukkin stupid. Someone would have been willing to shell out real money. If not now, a few years ago.

Doubt anybody sold anything. License deal.

But I get what you mean. Think an AAA would have ponied up for this? Don't be so sure, they didn't pony up for plenty of other things when they had the chance.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
th.jpg

OH, PLEASE BE GOOD... OH, PLEASE BE GOOD... OH, PLEASE BE GOOD....

hajro

Arbiter
Uh, whoever had the rights to sell to Otherside at a price they could afford is p. fukkin stupid. Someone would have been willing to shell out real money. If not now, a few years ago.

Doubt anybody sold anything. License deal.

But I get what you mean. Think an AAA would have ponied up for this? Don't be so sure, they didn't pony up for plenty of other things when they had the chance.
The only who would maybe do it is Bethesda to beef up arkanes b studios prey2/SS spiritual successor w/e the fuck it is with the name.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Bleah 0 faith since they are bringing back SHODAN which means it will probably be a sucky nostalgia fest. While cool, her return in SS 2 was already pretty dumb.

I don't want her to turn into Dracula from Castlevania.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't help but get excited by this. Both System Shocks remain at the top of my greatest all time list and if anyone is to make another it HAS TO BE the old Looking Glass team.

Perkel

Arcane
Bleah 0 faith since they are bringing back SHODAN which means it will probably be a sucky nostalgia fest. While cool, her return in SS 2 was already pretty dumb.

What if Shodan being back is ruse and when you start game you will be whole game seeking her and game will finally tell you she is not in game and all of things you saw were your PTSD and you were the one actually fucking up system killing people chasing ghosts and player in the end will commit suecide ?

:martini:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The immediate problem with bringing back SHODAN is finding a way out of that stupid Rebecca Siddons endgame reveal.

tormund

Arcane

This is what is making me doubtful too. Forcing a direct sequel and somehow finding a way to have SHODAN as villain again is p lame and reeks of nostalgia manipulation... I would be far more excited for a sequel with similar environments and design but nothing more that nods towards SHODAN and story of previous games.

Blowhard

Cipher
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but given the current climate this is basically guaranteed to be streamlined trash. But here's hoping.

Like LyricSuite I've been through this process too many times for this to even elevate my pulse above "cynicism-induced-comatose" for even a nanosecond. It's tragic that my eyes can just glaze over this and not really produce any strong emotions in me. System Shock is one of my favorite franchises. I guess it just goes to show, in addition to generally being blatant tasteless whores and churning out games so similar it sometimes feels like I'm stuck in a nightmarish time loop, the video game industry has killed a large portion of my lust for life by making my main hobby seem endlessly repetitious. Maybe the real game is that this is all some elaborate torture simulator I've found myself in. I'd give it a 10/10 if so.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ken Levine not being involved is a plus. De-Levine it as much as possible.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

What if Shodan being back is ruse and when you start game you will be whole game seeking her and game will finally tell you she is not in game and all of things you saw were your PTSD and you were the one actually fucking up system killing people chasing ghosts and player in the end will commit suecide ?

:martini:

Too edgy for mainstream or nostalgia.

The plot will be something like:

BLAH BLAH BLAH ship wreckage found BLAH BLAH BLAH Shodan is reconstructed since this is horror sci-fi and people's intelligence drops dramatically BLAH BLAH BLAH you are in stasis because you are another experiment or something like that BLAH BLAH BLAH Repeat the previous 2 game's setting.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The immediate problem with bringing back SHODAN is finding a way out of that stupid Rebecca Siddons endgame reveal.

A dynamic scenario involving both Siddons/Shodan and her new "hacker" free agent Thomas Suarez could very well be a step up in this series (after all, the latter was the other successful heroic figure of the game besides the PC).
That way you'd have to beat the machine and a mirror-image of yourself (another virus inside the machine), with a more open plot and potentially unpredictable results...

Also SS3 needs to be the end of Shodan, one way or another : every time a vilain comes back, it becomes more of a joke...

Last edited:

thesoup

Arcane
There are idiots, in this thread, right now, who believe this won't be crap.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Excellent development. I am going to sign up to the mailing list.

SS2 is the finest example of ARPG or whatever you call it - beats everything else hands down.

Even Bethesda a hundred years later in Fallout 4 could not do listening to tapes better.

Only worry - let's not have it on consoles.

SS3 will be SUPREME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom