Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 Mod Guide

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I downloaded SS2Tool 5.0 and pointed it at my GoG install of SS2.

I hear people also going ons about SHTUP, which seems like an abandoned (?) High Res Texture Pack.

Now we have these goo and enviro tex packs. Does anyone have a definitive list without redundancies?

It's not abandoned or redundant. Install everything here, in order, as OP says: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Rebirth still looks as retarded as ever. Also, fuck the bloom:

af83b61fc5da.jpg

Texture mods so far are the only ones i like. Music mod would be good too, except i always play with the music turned off. Also, the weapons mod appears to be incomplete. Standards look nice, but wouldn't it feel a bit jarring to switch between weapons when some of them still use the old texture?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Rebirth still looks as retarded as ever. Also, fuck the bloom:

af83b61fc5da.jpg

Texture mods so far are the only ones i like. Music mod would be good too, except i always play with the music turned off. Also, the weapons mod appears to be incomplete. Standards look nice, but wouldn't it feel a bit jarring to switch between weapons when some of them still use the old texture?
Fact is that nobody has done a 100% complete visual overhaul for the game. I'm willing to deal with a bit of inconsistency if it means about a 90% improvement across the board in terms of model and texture quality, but that's up to you (and one of the reasons why I personally don't use some texture mods out there, like for Thief).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
One question. It says that all you have to do to install those mods is put the files in the DataPermMods filder, but some of those mods have different instructions in their readme, ADaoB in particular. What gives?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One question. It says that all you have to do to install those mods is put the files in the DataPermMods filder, but some of those mods have different instructions in their readme, ADaoB in particular. What gives?

Don't listen to the readmes, they're sorely out of date.

spekkio

Arcane
@LS

Some mods have been updated after the NewDark 2.4 release, some not.

AFAIK ADaoB is still not fully compatible with the unofficial patch (NewDark 2.4). Latest version (0.3.0) is from May 2009 and the updated version is still being worked on (NewDark made some things in ADaoB redundant).

A pity, as it's the only mod that I'm interested in.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
NewDark, that's what the GOG version stole is using, right? Is there anything critical to ADaoB, such as, for instance, some PSI re-balancing, or weapon re-balancing that makes anything other then standard NOT redundant?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The exact information on what the fuck ADaoB changes is a gigantic clusterfuck. You'll have to read the changes log and try to piece it together yourself. Or just try it. I had a number of crashing issue with it the last time I tried it. But this was before that new patch came out.

spekkio

Arcane
BTW, Jaesun - would You kindly move this thread to GG, where it belongs?
It's really weird to look for it in GRPG - next to M&Ms and Ultimas.

And since you can't change your appearance in this game (it lacks gay romances as well), it's clearly not a cRPG.

Gozma

Arcane
Fact is that nobody has done a 100% complete visual overhaul for the game. I'm willing to deal with a bit of inconsistency if it means about a 90% improvement across the board in terms of model and texture quality, but that's up to you (and one of the reasons why I personally don't use some texture mods out there, like for Thief).

I liked the texture overhaul at one point but now I think it's better just to play it full original to keep shit consistent. The animations and movement stuff are so sparse and stiff (e.g. a midwife can't strafe around a corner but has to run out then slowly turn while getting wrench-whacked to face you) that it's better to just treat it as a whole 1999 package with 1999 Dark engine models and textures instead of stitching it up as a mixed production abomination.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ah, I see that SS2Tool 5.1 has been released.

Changes in 5.1
  • updated to NewDark 2.42
  • no admin permission required for installation anymore
  • updated OpenAL DLLs (OpenAL32.dll 6.14.357.25, wrap_oal.dll 2.2.0.7) now get copied directly to the game dir, instead of downloading/invoking the installer
  • extended "Safe mode" with suboptions: 1. disable "use_d3d_display" 2. Turn off sound acceleration
  • various interface improvements (auto disabling/enabling of sections/groups, better explanation of directory selection and multiplayer option)
  • removed new sky DML settings from misdml/earth.mis.dml
  • enabled weather effects in cam.cfg: fogging 1, enhanced_sky 1, render_weather 1
  • autosaves (and quicksaves) will not be overwritten by user saves anymore (quicksave: slot 13, autosave: slot 14)
  • Mods get loaded via mod_path in cam_mod.ini (see install.cfg comments)
  • safety check for accidental DeutschPatch installation
  • better string manipulation (replaces string in the line where it is found, append if not found by default)
  • ss2tool.log: cleaned up, more useful info
  • feature option: new mantle
  • feature option: limit gpu buffer
  • feature option: crop movies
  • feature option: MSAA
  • feature option: additive blending on normal and pyro explosions and shockwave spangs
  • feature option: Soft Bloom effect
  • fixed various small bugs
  • compatibility for first GOG release and March 2013 update release

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just wanted to give a deep "thanks" for posting this. I spun up a newly modded SS2 again and it's...beautiful. Holds up shockingly well in 1080p. It's a testament to how damn good the game is... and how we've lost a decade of gaming progress ;)

Now, if someone would re-balance PSI.

argan

Augur
Two weeks ago, I was just going to "try" these mods and ended up playing until 4AM. On a fucking tuesday. Good thing I have pretty flexible times at work.

Played through the game in a few days, and it's still a real blast. The most fun I've had with any game in the last five years, probably.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
tl;dr

Any actual mechanical overhauls/gameplay mods?
CBA to download shit for purely cosmetic reasons.
34pgmzb.png

That would be the sorely out of date ADaoB: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=25

Important note: This mod is currently undergoing heavy reworks to accommodate the enhanced functionality provided by NewDark. It will be re-released as the Shock Community Patch (SCP), soon™.

You might want to delay your next playthrough until that comes out.

DraQ

Arcane
tl;dr

Any actual mechanical overhauls/gameplay mods?
CBA to download shit for purely cosmetic reasons.
34pgmzb.png

That would be the sorely out of date ADaoB: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=25

Important note: This mod is currently undergoing heavy reworks to accommodate the enhanced functionality provided by NewDark. It will be re-released as the Shock Community Patch (SCP), soon™.

You might want to delay your next playthrough until that comes out.
Ok, that actually looks interdasting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom