Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

Dead Space is literally:

Walk into new room, get ambushed by monsters, repeat: The Game.
but a good one.
nothing groundbreaking, but a good one.

At this point I've read this same Jaesun post about as many times as I was ambushed by monsters in rooms in Dead Space. It's like he actually thinks Dead Space was the only game to do this type of thing.

Gozma

Arcane
It kinda butthurts me to think that all those Dead Space 1-3 art assets and game engine that cost tens of millions of dollars to make will rot in the Sales Disappointment Landfill instead of getting turned into something besides a greased-up linear AAA special that railroads you between set pieces. It looks good and the moment-to-moment gameplay is fine. A Dead Space game that was paced like SS2 would work great.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
he was too busy playing ss2 and finally understood why i told him bioshock was shit.

I was the same way. I had played Bioshock a few years back and had never gotten around to playing SS2. I just completed SS2 a few days ago, and good lord, I can't believe I never played it before. Now I know why everyone who had played SS2 shit on Bioshock when it released. It feels good to be enlightened, although it sucks that a proper SS3 was never made.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I greatly enjoyed Dead Space. I also liked Dead Space 2. They are not perfect games, no game is, but if you want to wander a junk future space setting with jump scares, creepy environments and a decent story you can do far worse.

Anti-grav in DS2 was awesome.

CorpseZeb

Learned
DS1 is really hard and challenging, at least (contrary to the DS2+). Also, zero gravity sections had been dumbed down in the DS2 (no more those crazy jumps across room....). Plus, main protagonist is a silent one (DS1) without any mental/daddy/son issues (to vocalize, obviously).

CorpseZeb

Learned
Huh? So, my experience was way different, than yours. I find DS1 much harder, especially in the beginning of the game. Dunno about DS3, never played it, but I heard about famous resource "farming"...

Ps. Or, maybe, playing second time in the DS2, I know what upgrades I like to make first. DS1 was all about finding stuff for a first time.

I don't know what kind of difficulty you played on, I'm only talking about highest ones, I never played any DS on Normal. But I can tell you for sure that highest difficulty in DS1 is way easier than highest difficulty in DS2/DS3.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, that's probably matter of personal abilities or something. I'm always playing on the highest possible difficulty, DS1/2 was no different. But, yeah, it's kinda strange to find that you found DS2 harder than DS1. And how about DS3 "farming ability" - isn't a "anti-hardcore" cheat of some sort?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember DS2 being a bit harder but neither was hard. In both I carried tons of med packs I never used.

I do remember wondering how the fuck console pads were able to handle the end-game swarms of aliens in DS2 though. Seemed like I was swinging my mouse aim all over the place toward the end.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Huge hitboxes in a game where precise aiming is a must? I dunno. Auto-aim, yeah.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyway, I just started playing this and I love it. I love how the game doesn't make a big deal of it the first time you encounter an enemy. You just enter a corridor and 'oh, a monster.'

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally I completed it. It got really stupid at the end, the plot fell apart, nonsensical elements were introduced, all the meticulous character development and the tense, serious atmosphere got ruined very fast. I never believed I would say this but Dead Space is superior in this regard, although inferior when it comes to the gameplay and atmosphere.

Annoying final boss fight too, what a pain.

All in all great game, but definitely got overrated due to its obscurity.

I have to laugh because I remember all the game journalists who "couldn't wait" for Bioshock because they found System Shock 2 to be an "all-time classic", and found Bioshock to be a 10/10 game when they played it, but in the end the truth is that most of them never touched it, and only went into the hype bandwagon to look edgy.

At least in System Shock 2 you only get sporadic conversations in your intercom, in Bioshock you cannot move three steps before someone tells you exactly what to do in minute details, and you see an arrow pointing to where you need to go.
So HHr, I'd like to ask you off topic how do you find time to play games still ? It took you what, two to three weeks ?

Repressed Homosexual
It's hard but I don't go out much nowadays and I tend to have insomnia. Although I contribute plenty, my wife is always there for the baby, and I don't watch TV at all.

It wasn't that long, like 16 hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fun, fun: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4517.96

OJxSvjR.png

9 days ago I got a mail from GOG who want to use SS2Tool v5 for an update of their game. They also sent me a test-build of their updated version, which included a change in their EULA as I had previously demanded, that would allow gog customers to legally mod their game.
I sent them an agreement to sign, which defines that and how they give credit and the EULA change. Apart from that my TOA only has the purpose to ensure that I'm not liable for any problems they may have with SS2Tool.

I also got a mail from Stephen Kick (NightDive Studios), who also wants to (continue to) use SS2Tool on the future Steam release and potential other distributors.

Gog eventually told me that they had a problem with the EULA change, because their contract with the publisher (NightDive Studios) didn't allow them to allow their customers to modify their games. I then contacted Stephen Kick asking him to approve the EULA change with gog. According to gog he contacted them about this point and they are now in negotiations. Fingers crossed.

Apart from making modding legal one thing I want to make sure is that all digital distributions use the same SS2Tool version to make further patching easier for me and you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"please don't hotlink our pictures"

r00fles!

On topic, would be really stupid of the owners to not want the game to be moddable when there are tons of mods for this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played Deus ex but not SS2, is it similiar ?

There are some superficial similarities in terms of systems (they're both "first person shooters with stats") but the two games really play quite differently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
but the two games really play quite differently.
So how SS2 gameplay is different?

It's a survival horror game. No dialogue, few living NPCs, respawning enemies. The gameplay is based more on conservation of resources than on exploration and dynamic problem solving like Deus Ex is.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
If you want to take their modern day equivalents, it's like DX:HR compared to Bioshock. Except both DX:HR and Bioshock are watered down versions of their predecessors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom