Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
great, because i can't run this in windows 7 64 bit :x Finally I can play it!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was some kind of licensing SNAFU with the game... no one was selling it, because the vultures couldn't decide who got first pick.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
how is this incline
Your steam friends will be able to see you playing System Shock 2 and know you're hardcore.

And the gog version is supposedly noob-friendly and runs out of the box, which is bullshit most of the time because you still have to install a bunch of fixes but WHOA.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This might be bullshit. WTF is "Night Dive Studios".

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
So this widely available game will now be on GOG on Steam, whoa amazing.
Hey man, if we're lucky they could even throw in the community patches. That'd be awesum rite? I can't wait be a huge piece of shit and pay $9.99 for an 14 year old game.

Cassidy

Arcane
I already downloaded it from The Underdogs more than five years ago. I suspect this is EA desperate to milk every possible venue.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already downloaded it from The Underdogs more than five years ago. I suspect this is EA desperate to milk every possible venue.

Assuming this is legit, it is not in fact a certainty that EA will be the ones profiting from sales of this game.

Modron

Arcane
It's an incline because GoG tends to release stable versions that need little work to function on modern operating systems. And for you people unwilling or unable to pay for it, GoG's releases do show up all over the web too, no real downside other than a few abandonware sites will remove it while the majority will still keep it up.

Edit: Also EA might not be getting money from the sale considering that they do not own the rights outright to System Shock and they have in the past allowed other companies to publish games on gog without taking a cut (eg inxile and their newer Bard's Tale game). Will have to wait and see to get the specifics of the release.

Multi-headed Cow

Well if it's a dick slapping contest we're after I've got retail boxed copies of SS1 and 2. Doesn't mean I can't look forward to buying it on Steam so my friends can see me playing it and know I'm hardcore. :bounce:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's inclinous because GoG tends to release stable versions that need little work to function on modern operating systems. And for you people unwilling or unable to pay for it, GoG's releases do show up all over the web too, no real downside other than a few abandonware sites will remove it while the majority will still keep it up.
Yeah, with GOG you can have awesome stuff like bundled music patches that fuck up the sound effects and prevent you from using proper sound emulation. :bounce:

Modron

Arcane
Yeah, with GOG you can have awesome stuff like bundled music patches that fuck up the sound effects and prevent you from using proper sound emulation. :bounce:

Even if they do screw up the audio how does that affect you? It's not like they release some virus out there that will patch all the abandonware site's/torrent versions of the game. Furthermore, SS2 is not a dos era game doubt they will screw up the audio emulation that much because there have not really been that many advances in sound cards since then; besides, if you really cared about the audio you would not be emulating it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well if it's a dick slapping contest we're after I've got retail boxed copies of SS1 and 2. Doesn't mean I can't look forward to buying it on Steam so my friends can see me playing it and know I'm hardcore. :bounce:

I bought SS1 on a budget re-release, later eBayed myself a proper boxed copy. I was given my copy of SS2 because a friend of mine thought it would be a shooter Half-Life style and was disgusted by what he got instead. He was going to throw it away with some other games. I took those games as well. Wing Commander 3 and Outcast, among others that I can't recall right now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
besides, if you really cared about the audio you would not be emulating it.
:retarded:

I don't care enough to spend the money of a new PC importing an old synthetizer, but I do care enough to have sound effects that aren't scrambled around.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I personally cannot wait to pay people who had nothing to do with making this for the privilege of installing it slightly easier. Fuck the haters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom