Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 1 vs 2 - Which is better and why?

System Shock 1 vs 2 Which is better and why?

• Total voters

V_K

Arcane
SS2 because stats that support vastly different playstyles.
System Shock 2's level design is not expansive or elaborate enough to support vastly different playstyles like in say Deus Ex.
Localized pyrokinesis+Photonic redirection combo turns it into Adventure game.
:kfc:

Ash

Arcane
mindx2 said:
I enjoyed the music in 1 much more than 2. In SS2 I always turn off the music but not in 1

Does not compute. Especially when you have the likes of ops2 and Rec.

Cazzeris said:
It's just a really light aRPG

Trying too hard? If not, I'm curious: which aRPG would you recommend as a superior, non-light alternative?

Declinator

Arbiter
I found SS2 to be better in almost all things. Notable exceptions include hacking and plot. It's strange that they didn't continue with the Descent-esque hacking in SS2 though the wireframe graphics made it somewhat difficult to navigate in SS1.

UI is absolutely better in SS2 regardless of whether mouselook mod is used in SS1 or not.

I quite liked weapons breaking down and bullets being relatively rare (SS2). And while I first found respawn somewhat annoying I got to like it later. I don't remember SS1 having any meaningful resource management aside from health which may or may not be good depending on what you like.

I think the game (SS2) could do with a harder difficulty option where resources would be even more scarce than the hardest current option. SS1 on the other hand has a splendid difficulty choice screen where different aspects of the game could have different difficulty. It's a pity more games don't employ a system like that.

Cazzeris said:
Trying too hard? If not, I'm curious: which aRPG would you recommend as a superior, non-light alternative?

While I think SS2 is on the "heavier" side of aRPGs I think Morrowind is somewhat heavier. Cazzeris probably has different qualifiers though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
System Shock 2 does the horror better and perhaps the atmosphere as well (although the two differ in atmosphere "type" pretty heavily). The addition of stats is cool too. But System Shock 1 is just overall a better game when it comes to gameplay. The shootan is better, the guns are cooler and there are roller skates. Harder, too. I also love how juggling all the implants, abilities and shit like rear-view cameras makes you feel like a legit cyborg, probably the only game that ever managed to do it, too.

I also absolutely loved the original (non-mouselook) control scheme of SS1. It reinforces the cyborg feel so very well. In fact, the interface in general is an extremely impressive work from a technical and ergonomic viewpoint even today. There's a shitton of features there, shitton of different movement types, etc, but the way it's all set up across the keyboard and screen is really logical and convenient. At first it looks overwhelming as fuck but, to me, it was very easy to get used to it fast. Everyone who disagrees is a faggot and needs to L2P :smug:

Not to mention, SS1 doesn't fall apart completely at the end.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Played SySo2 somewhere in 2010, SySo1 somewhere in 2014/2015.

I think SySo1 is better. Feel like complete game, no "rushed parts" feel found while playing. Nice cyberpunk game. Only bad part might be control (they should stay with UltimaUnderworld one), but I liked it.
SySo2 on the other hand have good sounds (thanks to the engine from Thief1/2), music that reminded me UT and similar. And RPG elements that motivate for replays with different builds.
SySo2 have some things that are overused and used badly in more modern games (like Biocock). That include PLOT TWIST! that suxxx but Levine and popamole eaters will throw poop at you for disagreement.

Another one is the "journal found" system. Can you remember any title that do this good? Beside SySo1 and 2 of course.
It's supposed to build atmosphere but it's done so badly in modern titles your jaw crack from cringe.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Really tough decision, but I'll go with System Shock 2 by a thin margin. The addition of RPG elements is really what makes SS2 shine and almost makes me forget that they did not include Cyberspace. The Von Braun also feels like a more real place than Citadel.
In terms of music, SS1 wins any day of week even if the music in SS2 is great as well.

Cazzeris

Cazzeris said:

Just read my post. When I heard that SS2's RPG elements actually set different paths for the player to choose from, something like Deus Ex came to mind. Regarding proper LGS-esque games, these light RPG systems are worth-having when they add to the exploration and the way the player can progress through the game. In SS2, the system only adds small variations to a combat experience that isn't deep nor fun enough. I don't mind this kind of games where the RPG system isn't so defining, but let it change the gameplay in interesting ways at least.

System Shock 1 doesn't even need to feature banal pseudo-RPG systems in order to shine. :smug:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
System Shock 1. I also prefer the graphics in the first one, DOS-era 3D graphics managed to age more gracefully than those from the era of early 3D accelerators.

tormund

Arcane
Environments in System Shock 2 haven't aged badly either. Game mostly used clean and simple looking textures, so while the environments are low poly they still look good and their visuals fit their role. I always liked how clean, simple and sterile spaceship interiors in SS2 looked, IMO way more "believable" than the insides of a typical video game (or SF horror movie) spaceship or base.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
System Shock 2 - even few years after completing it i remember those late evenings then i played it and get warm feelings till now. Superb atmosphere, exploring, voice acting - best survival horror RPG ever created imo. Also...
First time i saw Shodan manifestation, in the "falling walls" room, i was in awe after such plot twist:)

System Shock 1 - heard very good feedback about it at internet, tried it but didnt complete it. If i am correct it is different from second part - more FPS than RPG?

SS2:love:
Inb4 Codex Edgelords claim the plot twist is "predictable" or "banal shit boring" just like they did with KOTOR.

Also, the controls and interface alone make SS2 the winner.

Also everyone who says either game is an RPG can eat a truck full of donkey dicks and fuck their own face.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Also everyone who says either game is an RPG can eat a truck full of donkey dicks and fuck their own face.

It is in "general gaming" - Codex Police did it right:butthurt:

Also there is good article about series at HG101, in which i found few good, logic arguments:

Being that the game was developed in 1999, the models of the enemies aren't complex, but it's one of those cases where the technology actually works in its benefit, since it abstracts their horrific designs to look even more inhuman. (Fan made modification recreate their models with more polygons, but the increased detail doesn't work in their favor.)

Moreover, the sound design is fantastic. You can hear the ramblings of the mutants or the terrifying screeches of the cyborg midwives even if they're just lumbering around, hidden around the corner or cloaked in the darkness. Rarely has the chattering of monkeys been so terrifying; you know there's something in the room waiting to attack, but where?

The music is different from the original, with most of the soundtrack consisting of ambient computer noises and low-key synth, but it kicks into higher gear with techno and drum and bass during combat. It inflicts anxiety even when just wandering around, even if it's occasionally jarring.

Despite feeling like a drastically different game, System Shock 2 is still a clear evolution of the concepts of the first game. While that game definitely aged, a product of its era, the sequel is just as playable today as it was in 1999. It's dark, scary, compelling, and due to all of the possible character rebuilds, extremely replayable.

V_K

Arcane
In late 1990-s/early 2000-s pixelated graphics of earlier games were considered "aged badly". Now they're back in fashion. Give it 5-10 years, and there will be hipsters and whatnot fapping on early low-poly 3D.

V_K

Arcane
Nah, Minecraft and stuff like Eldritch, Delver etc - it's fapping on mid-1990s 3D, the time for early 2000-s 3D hasn't come yet.

tormund

Arcane
Jesus, this place can really disappoint me at times.

"Late 1990-s/early 2000-s" weren't the early era of 3D graphics. And I don't appreciate that hipster statement. I wrote that I think how SS2's visuals haven't aged badly because... I genuinely think that haven't aged badly. Not to mention all the games from late 90s whose visuals I find truly appealing to this day: Outcast. first Soul Calibur, Unreal, Wheel of Time, Rollcage... I love how those games look.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, SS2 graphics on the whole are still pretty ace. It's only the character models and their textures that look goofy.

V_K

Arcane
"Late 1990-s/early 2000-s" weren't the early era of 3D graphics.
I might be wrong about that, but my understanding is mid to late 1990s was about the time when games first started using 3D models for characters, not just environments. I.e. it's the early days of full 3D. On the other hand, early to mid-2000s is the time when said models started looking more or less passable by modern standards (i.e. stopped sprouting sharp angles in all directions).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom