Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline System Shock 1 Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Here's my score. My first run from a couple of months ago. Probably should have done it without the time limit first considering the rush, but the whole game was very enjoyable and I couldn't put it down wondering if I'd make it or not. I usually dislike time limits. The only deck I didn't explore thoroughly was the Flight deck. I finished the other decks 100% or close to, collecting most of the items and weapons.

That's very impressive if you played the game without using prior knowledge or a walkthrough.
How did you deal with the puzzles on the Access Panels? I remember using at least half an hour on one of the most difficult ones. Using a Logic Probe and a Genius patch would have been much quicker.

Frosal

Novice
I did have to use a walkthrough here and there thinking I wouldn't make it. Didn't even notice the numbers when destroying computer nodes (it's randomized so you have to go back anyway, I guessed the last digit). Also, that Executive level password was fairly obvious, but I couldn't figure where to find it for the life of me.

Some wire puzzles were difficult, but you can just load your game after you've finished them (0 regenerations so I save scummed quite a bit).

I regret picking the hardest difficulty in 3 of 4 categories, though. With all the respawning combat became a chore, and cyber space too frustrating. I didn't stand a chance of completing the cyberspace on lvl 8 with the short time limit.
My kill count is higher than the first time, which further strengthens my belief that respawn rate is correlated to CPU speed. Or maye it's related to difficulty (I hope so)?

IIRC there isn't a spawn timer, more enemies spawn whenever the total amount of enemies in the area drop below a certain threshold. I do believe the threshold goes up with the difficulty.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Recently started my first serious playthrough. I'm blown away by all the innovative gameplay ideas and the great atmosphere. Impressive game.

For anyone wanting to play this in custom DosBox builds, just extract the 'RES' folder from SSP, the whole game is there. The mods are in SSP/mods, extract the ones you want directly into the main folder.

Can't imagine how people played this without mouselook...!

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
Recently started my first serious playthrough. I'm blown away by all the innovative gameplay ideas and the great atmosphere. Impressive game.

For anyone wanting to play this in custom DosBox builds, just extract the 'RES' folder from SSP, the whole game is there. The mods are in SSP/mods, extract the ones you want directly into the main folder.

Can't imagine how people played this without mouselook...!
I think mouselook ruins the game a little bit. I played the game for the first time not so long ago and chose to play without it. It eliminates those great moments when you get attacked from behind by invisible mutant, panic a little bit, clumsily turn around and swing the laser sword blindly hoping that you hit the mofo. You can bind moving the camera so it's not that bad really.

:necro:

Just finished this in about 14 hours, with the difficulty settings on normal IIRC. This game is absolutely packed with cool features e.g. jump jets, roller skates, personal shield, land mines, tons of grenades, ballistic and energy weapons with different ammo types, sensaround(i.e. cameras in the back of your head), and the grids in cyberspace play conway's game of life. Fucking amazing. Atmosphere is great, of course, and it is extremely immersive. Well worth a playthrough, the interface is manageable, especially after a couple hours with it.

Only problem I had was the last level more or less sucked, but I liked the final boss fight.

Also, when I see this mentioned on the codex, usually people say it's not really an RPG. I disagree, I think it's very much an RPG, just not a traditional one. Your inventory is your character sheet. This system puts the emphasis on exploration which is ideal for the survival horror-esque style.

This was my first Looking Glass game so I'm going to go back to Underworld now. Can't wait :D

Yeah I know, my first Looking Glass game, in b4 :retarded:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I still think that the original non-mouselook controls are one of the most ingenious and fun to master control schemes out there in gaming history. Suck it, haters.

Gord

Arcane
Finally started a playthrough of System Shock (Portable) a few days ago.
I had played it at some time in the mid-to-late 90s, had a blast and then got massively blueballed when I couldn't finish it because some blocked passage prevented continuing my playthrough. Couldn't find anything about it on the (then still novel) internet and gave up eventually - I had concluded that it's either a nasty bug or some cruel copy protection measure.

Anyway, having also read Renraku Arcology Shutdown recently, I can't help but noticing how similar the two are in the tone and general ideas. With a few adjustments, System Shock would also make a fine Shadowrun game...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Random thoughts:

One thing about SS1 that stands out compared to SS2 and its later imitators is that your radio contact, Rebecca Lansing, doesn't turn out to be not-what-she-seems, nor does she get killed or involved in anything dramatic. She's safe on Earth and completely dependable from beginning to end. Generally, the fact that you were in the Solar System in contact with Earth, rather than being truly isolated a zillion miles from the rest of humanity, gave the game a different feel and perspective.

(Interestingly, Andrew Ryan in BioShock THINKS you are doing this - he accuses you of being a CIA or KGB spook when you first arrive in Rapture.)

I also liked how later in the game Rebecca puts you in contact with SHODAN's original programmer, and the SHODAN banter that results from that.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bAnbB6p.png

Finally finished it. I had to make some brake to finally solve some puzzles, but SS is like one of those games that always sit in your mind and just can't get it out of the system until you can see credits. The FPS part isn't impressive, even for it's time. First you whack mutants with lead pipe, with proper timing they won't hit you. Well, maybe from behind when they respawn, but other than that they are way too easy. As soon as you start finding normal weapons and ammo it's only a matter of persistence of the player. Energetic stations and weapons that need it to function are powerful. I've killed most of the things with Laser Rapier, it has excellent damage and low energy consumption. Those weapons, which use bullets and such - easy peasy. Just lean left or right and voila - you can beat everything. You see a robot from some angle - shoot it. Most of the time he won't even react to that. Only the bigger groups provide some challenge. That is, if you didn't switched on the respawn station. Which makes survival factor meaningless. At least the end game hadn't got them.

That said the variety of weapons was excellent - I like having a big choice of them. Here is the link if you aren't sure what's best in your inventory and what ammo you need for them (since it's limited it's better to know)

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1744.0

Same goes for enemies, which "suffer" visually when you are playing in higher resolutions and see low res sprites representing them.

The main best thing is discovering the whole level, with hidden doors, finding the crew logs and scavenging the resources. There is no forced linearity so you can return to earlier parts of the Citadel. It's necessary for some puzzles to solve. Shodan is always breathing at your back, which is always cool. Terri Brosius is delivering the lines of dialogues as good as always. I can't imagine anyone else impersonating her so well. The music wasn't so good as in the sequel, although I liked some parts (like the Reactor). Sounds - mostly I just couldn't know where to expect the enemies. It was way before 3d audio and it's just confusing when you hear some animal/robotic voices all over the level.

The cyberspace - I've played those segments at the beginning but later on just left them. The enhancment that you can gather around were helpful. For example - the part with those annoying respawning suicidal car toys with big eyes (that's how it look to me), where I just used shield. Or the super jump thing. There is more but they all were a nice addition to the whole stimulants/grenades/weapons system.

Despite all those things System Shock is a good game. It's like you know the bad parts, but you can't stop playing despite them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
bAnbB6p.png

Finally finished it. I had to make some brake to finally solve some puzzles, but SS is like one of those games that always sit in your mind and just can't get it out of the system until you can see credits. The FPS part isn't impressive, even for it's time. First you whack mutants with lead pipe, with proper timing they won't hit you. Well, maybe from behind when they respawn, but other than that they are way too easy. As soon as you start finding normal weapons and ammo it's only a matter of persistence of the player. Energetic stations and weapons that need it to function are powerful. I've killed most of the things with Laser Rapier, it has excellent damage and low energy consumption. Those weapons, which use bullets and such - easy peasy. Just lean left or right and voila - you can beat everything. You see a robot from some angle - shoot it. Most of the time he won't even react to that. Only the bigger groups provide some challenge. That is, if you didn't switched on the respawn station. Which makes survival factor meaningless. At least the end game hadn't got them.

Try playing on Normal or Hard next time. :obviously:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I once played with max difficulty, that gives the player 7 hours to complete the game.

Me, being the idiot that I was back in the day, took it slow and easy and explored everywhere. I got as far as to destroy the fourth transmission relay with 1:20 left on the clock.

So while I did thwart SHODAN's various schemes, I didn't survive it.

I later did a playthrough with 4/4/3/4 difficulty, which is loads of fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think my first playthorugh was 3/3/3/3, while my second was 3/3/4/4 (no time limit and normal cyberspace). But hard combat was a bit tedious, so next time I think I'll reduce difficulty one notch.

Karellen

Arcane
You know, I'm not really sure if one even should expect a fully realised survival element from System Shock. System Shock does predate Resident Evil 1, and honestly, it seems clear that they weren't going for that sort of scarcity. I don't think that's even a bad thing - during my own replay, I was at first surprised by how liberally the game was showering me with ammunition, but ultimately I noticed that it didn't really bother me; finding new weapons and equipment was still exciting, and even if the combat is quite easy, it still rewards being careful and meticulous instead of just running in guns blazing. So the combat in System Shock works pretty well in context even though it's literally this:

:popamole:

Mostly, the combat is there to cause enough attrition that finishing a deck in one go can be a tricky proposition. That this attrition is impermanent is clearly the intent - the whole game is designed around the notion that, if nothing else works, you can always slink back to the Medical Deck to patch up and try again. Which is probably a large part of why the game feels so much like an RPG, even though it lacks an experience system, which is apparently all that it takes to be an RPG these days. Still, almost all conventional RPGs, including games like Dark Souls, are "easy" in the sense that you ultimately have unlimited resources at your disposal - you can go back to a bonfire or a town or something, rest up and give the dungeon another go, which basically means that eventually you'll win just by attrition. Even so, they're engaging because of two things: first of all, the game mechanics and level design have sufficient complexity that skill and strategy make a big difference in how efficiently and elegantly you get through obstacles, and secondly, because the effort you put into the game yields progress and persistent rewards.

And really, the original System Shock has a superb sense of progress, with the way you're opening up shortcuts, finding new elevators, clearing out the decks, destroying all of the security cameras, finding all the secret areas and turning off the occasional enemy-spawning plant. This sensation that you're actually taking the station back from SHODAN bit by bit is made really tangible by all this. This is sense of progress is something that SS2, for all of its high difficulty and RPG mechanics, has much less of - you spend much of the game on a leash and the exploration you do get to do isn't that exciting because the scarcity and degradation mechanics have you clobbering most your enemies with the almighty wrench anyway. This is why SS2 feels like running menial fetch quests in a world that exists to arbitrarily obstruct you, while SS1 feels like fighting a guerrilla war in the belly of a horrible machine that is bleeding to death, largely thanks to your heroic efforts.

And really, the original System Shock has a superb sense of progress, with the way you're opening up shortcuts, finding new elevators, clearing out the decks, destroying all of the security cameras, finding all the secret areas and turning off the occasional enemy-spawning plant. This sensation that you're actually taking the station back from SHODAN bit by bit is made really tangible by all this.

:salute:

System Shock has probably more variety in the "respawn" factor. Some parts of the base can become empty till the end, but other can still bring more foes to fight with. Level 3 with invisible mutants had me go full berserk, "They are coming from the goddamn walls!" I thought. I suppose with the harder difficulty setting the number of kills increases, just like the respawning frequency.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
This game really needs porting/remaking from fans. I enjoyed SS1 but I cannot see myself playing it again for a number of reasons, unlike its predecessor. Too many failures have been and gone, perhaps one day there will be a successful port/remake.

CyberP probably means something like Zdoom or Duke32. The game still needs Dosbox to function.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom