Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Ash

Arcane
Indeed, you had plenty of decent level design 20 years ago, the last 17 years or so seem to have been exclusively dedicated to building a better in-game tutorial, and making sure that first weapon just happens to be jammed in the door you need to open to progress.

I agree, but Shock (and other really, really early 3D pre-1995) were a bit of an exception. They were overwhelmingly carved out of tiled cubes, with very little of anything placed in those cubes. Still good design primarily from a gameplay, scripting, progression and believable layout POV, but lacking aesthetic diversity & density, and diversity in gameplay content. Take the engineering tunnels for instance (not the whole eng. level, but the four separate tunnel groupings proper). They're as bland, empty and boring as it gets, almost objectively, one can argue. Even Doom mazes usually had more to offer, if memory serves. This was not only a matter of tech, but also design, as previous levels (such as medical) showed we can have better. Crawl spaces. Scripted events. Light effects. Interactive environment props, radiation leaks, whatever. But no, those tunnels are just lacking no matter how you look at it, and they aren't the only offending area in the game. It's like the devs gave it their 100% in medical, and then that level of attention to detail and care dropped off a little later in the game.

Anyway, aside from the music I'm not seeing any major reason to claim pure decline yet. Hold your horses, people.
Chances are it will take a steaming dump on it, that's how it usually goes, but these guys don't seem fake to me. Perhaps just a little off base on the design, yet with good intentions nonetheless. And that's a big perhaps as we have nothing concrete except the introduction of orchestral music :/

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but the music change alone alters both the tone of the game and its general direction. It may seem like a small change but it has a huge impact.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The pre-alpha demo has been removed from Steam. It's still on GOG and Humble, but I guess it won't last.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/system-shock-3-5-limited-floppy-edition/

System Shock 3.5” Limited Floppy Edition
APRIL 1, 2017

Nightdive Studios, LLC. today brandished their latest nostalgia throwback with the announcement of the System Shock 3.5” Limited Floppy Edition. Nightdive’s “System Shock,” the faithful reboot to one of the most influential first-person action games in history, “System Shock,” was the inspiration for the 1,684 pound System Shock 3.5” Limited Floppy Edition (SS3.5LFE), which is available for pre-order today at U.S. retailers and in other regions later this week.

Beginning with the worldwide release of “System Shock”, fans can immerse themselves with the SS3.5LFE, which features an astounding 38,195 floppy disks, shipped in a 2 ton pallet for an estimated retail price of $80,000 (USD).

“We really wanted new players to feel the excitement of loading their game from floppy disk, just like the original.” said Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios. “The time that’s been spent copying 55 GBs of data onto the 38,195 individual floppies contained in the SS3.5LFE is worth it.’ We can’t wait for our community and fans around the world to enjoy our hard work on this phenomenal franchise after a brief 13-15 day install period..”

“Fans of music know the value of listening to their favorite albums on vinyl or tape; the medium gives a character to the sound and an experience to the listener. We are hoping to give this same experience to our fans, who we feel will really appreciate the tediums of a three-decade-old technology,” says Jonathan Peros, Audio Director.

The System Shock 3.5” Limited Floppy Edition was revealed at an exclusive preview event in Scottsdale, AZ where guests were invited to watch the unboxing of the monolithian Collector’s Edition.

SS-monolith-floppy-disk.jpg

“It is thrilling to bring the exclusive SS3.5LFE to System Shock fans. Being able to work so closely with the talented team at Nightdive Studios on the design has enabled us to develop a Collector’s Edition that will set bragging rights around the world,” said Mark Dusk, senior director of Floppy Disk Acquisition. “These fans deserve the biggest box ever, and we’re delivering with more disks than ever before and the freedom to enjoy their favorite game on their favorite piece of flexible magnetic storage medium”.

System Shock 3.5” Limited Floppy Edition, will be sold in Europe, the Middle East (UAE, Saudi Arabia), UK, US, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Australia and Middle Earth.

In 2018, Nightdive Studios, LLC. will release “System Shock.” The title faithfully reboots the cyberpunk sci-fi thriller as players face off against SHODAN who is dedicated to bringing mankind to the edge of extinction. “System Shock” is rated “M” (Mature – Blood, Gore, and Intense Violence) by the ESRB. For more information, visit www.systemshock.com or http://www.nightdivestudios.com

Please store your SS3.5LFE floppy collection in a temperature-controlled, load-bearing warehouse, and away from magnets, sunlight, animals, children, and tachyon lasers.

Meh, I'd go with the original CD-ROM version.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1863509

April Update

Project Update
It has been quite the month following up from GDC! At this time, everyone should be receiving their surveys from Backerkit. On Backerkit, you should be able to not only confirm your pledge, but also upgrade or add on more cool things. On the subject of surveys, we have created an additional one for you to check out to help us continue to develop this awesome title for you:

https://goo.gl/forms/NxeKFr7c9K9WiRdm2

Art
94207507cd654a46bf5fce017744d1eb_original.jpg

Concept environment art of the Medical Deck hallway by Robert Simon.

07986c688c1943aa6b886d556b263237_original.jpg

Concept environment art of the Surgery Room by Robert Simon.

New Hires & Job Openings!
We are happy to share that our team here at Nightdive Studios is growing! Please welcome our new Lead Animator Lucas Carnes, Lead 3D Environment Artist James Garcia, and our new Lead Producer Kristina Tomalesky! Are you or someone you know wanting to join the team? We are hiring:

Mid/Senior Gameplay Programmer
  • Work closely with designers, artists, and other team members to create high quality features
  • Create or improve tools as necessary to support specific features/systems.
  • Continuously test, debug, profile, analyze, and optimize across all applicable platforms.
  • Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development.
Mid/Senior Systems Designer
  • Work closely with programmers, artists, and other team members to create high quality features
  • Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development.
  • Create thorough documentation for systems and features.
  • Participate in regular Vulcan mind melds with the Game Director.
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/careers/

Shout Out- Turok News
We are excited to announce that you will now be able to play Turok with your friends no matter what platform they are on! This is all thanks to GOG Galaxy Crossplay:

https://af.gog.com/news/release_turok_2_seeds_of_evil?as=1649904300

8ba80bcc8ba933662e701e7c121c2c5d_original.jpg

Please stay tuned for more great upcoming updates~!

♡✧( ु•⌄• ) Karlee Meow~

Last edited by a moderator:

schru

Arcane
That doesn't look like System Shock, rather vaguely like some already existing games with this more recent, slick style. It looks like they're going for a more ‘realistic’ look, but the original had its own distinct style and these pieces of concept art don't even look more interesting. I wasn't around to know anything about it, but it seems to me like the 80s/90s cyberpunk had its specific characteristics and this game is imbued with them. It's kind of like trying to improve a comic book by replacing the colourful and cartoonish art style with photos of real sets or something.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
That first concept art screenshot looks more like Alien: Isolation than System Shock.
I just finished Alien:Isolation like 10 minutes ago. And I agree, very first screenshots were more like SS. Well, they are catering to new audience after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1889009

May Update: Dev Diary Audio Edition

♪Project Update♪
As a fun little initiative to show you our world of development, we want to introduce Dev Diaries! We will have these from time to time to show different perspectives of what is going on. Without further delay, I give you Jonathan Peros:

Hey guys!

This is Jonathan Peros, Audio Director on System Shock. I wanted to include a quick update to give some insight into an aspect of the musical direction of System Shock! As you all can probably guess, working on a reboot of a classic game definitely has its own set of unique challenges; we are all tasked with the job of making a good game by today’s standards, but not losing sight of what made the original game great. As such, I’ve gone back to the files for System Shock 1’s soundtrack over and over, spending as much time as I can absorbing what made Greg LoPiccolo’s work on the original music awesome. I thought I would share a few of the great things about System Shock 1’s soundtrack here with you, some of the game’s most dedicated fans.

System Shock 1’s soundtrack was far ahead of its time in many respects. One of the most obvious ways that this shows itself is in its procedural music system. The original game had a MIDI soundtrack, which would play through various soundcards in order to produce the game’s music. This is different than today’s game music, which is for the most part pre-recorded audio files playing back. Because the music was played back note-by-note through data on the soundcard, this opened many possibilities for how the game dealt with music. The music for each level is not contained in a single file, but instead each level’s music is built procedurally from different musical building blocks, controlled by parameters in the game. The core set of each level’s musical building blocks are named with a gameplay state (“W”alking, “P”eril, “C”ombat) and a section (“A”,”B”,”C”,…). “WA” can play into “WB”, unless the game state changes to peril, at which it may play into “PB”. This kind of interactive system provides both varying intensity, which mirrors the pacing of the gameplay, and linear sections, which give the music a sense of forward momentum and structure. This procedural music system is then made more interactive by having various layers which represent the various enemies that are overlaid on top of the core level music, based on the proximity of enemies of that type. These layers are used to represent these enemies across the entire soundtrack, giving each enemy type a theme of sorts! Very cool, stuff!

b70dcea7ef146f44baa3d6ea6660f5ba_original.png

Various sections of the level music laid out horizontally (i.e. “WA”, “PB”,...), with the additional enemy type layers laid out vertically below (i.e. Mut, RobG,...)

Another very noteworthy feature about the System Shock 1 soundtrack is its unique use of timbre (the perceived sound quality of a tone that distinguishes different types of sound and instruments). As I mentioned, the System Shock 1 soundtrack was done through MIDI playback. MIDI files are not audio files; MIDI is a data protocol, which tells another device various musical information, like “Note On”, “Pitch”, “Velocity”, “Tempo”, etc. In this case, the device is a computer’s soundcard. Each soundcard has its own set of sounds that are programmed into it, and MIDI then calls on these various sounds with a “Program Change” message. Then, when “Note On” messages are received (along with pitch and velocity), the soundcard knows what sound to play, at what pitch, and how loud, until a “Note Off” message for that pitch is received. The important part to note in this is that the sounds on each soundcard are preprogrammed. Most soundcards have their own takes on very generic sounds (Overdriven Guitar, String Ensemble 1, Clarinet) as well as some more unique ones (Guitar Fret Noise, “Goblins”). System Shock 1, however, used these sounds in very non-traditional ways! Oftentimes, Guitar Fret Noise is played at a very high pitch at 16th notes in order to get some very non-traditional percussion sounds. You’d be very surprised to know that one of your favorite backing arpeggios in L01 Medical’s music is played back on two Bagpipes tracks, with chords being produced by rapidly playing notes on the Acoustic Guitar (nylon) channel. One of my favorite tracks in the game is the Groves music, because of its very creative use of MIDI controls on all of the various layers which come in and out.

7aec9208a4685a5ea5ebf94c05c4a50c_original.png

A layer in the Groves music, a Percussive Organ MIDI instrument with extremely unnatural pitch-bending applied.

The last cool bit of musical implementation in System Shock 1’s soundtrack that I want to talk about is its use of delay. Delay is a musical effect, which generally takes an input audio signal, waits for a duration, and then plays that audio signal back on top of the original signal. Because of System Shock 1’s MIDI soundtrack, this effect had to be emulated by manually copying and pasting the MIDI Note On and Note Off messages at some later time in that instrument’s channel. This overlaying is done in System Shock 1’s soundtrack as a musical subdivision of the beat, which gives the music really cool compositional elements! Often you’ll hear the soundtrack doing interesting phrasing, by something like playing an eighth note arpeggio with it delayed on top of itself three sixteenth notes late. This was utilized more than just an effect, as it is used most of the time in popular music; in System Shock 1, these delayed signals playing against the original melody combined to create an entirely new melody, a key part of the musical composition. I love when sound design becomes an integral component of the compositional process, as opposed to an effect or an afterthought!

c56152186a53ae604499328dad161660_original.png

An Electric Guitar (muted) track in the Exec music. Original melody played in eighth notes in red, delayed signal three sixteenth notes behind in white. Notice variations in the white melody to accommodate harmonic changes in the music!

I hope you found this somewhat technical discussion of System Shock 1's music interesting and informative! While rebooting System Shock’s soundtrack, the lessons taught by the original soundtrack are invaluable to capturing the essence of System Shock 1’s music. With such a forward-thinking musical score in the original game, we aim to keep that spirit alive by pushing the boundaries of interactive music and sound design today. The world of interactive music in video games has only grown more interesting in the past 20-odd years, and I’m very excited to utilize these options to compose the most immersive and interactive score for System Shock possible!

Introducing our new Nightdive Studios Shop!
Ever wish you could have a shirt with our awesome logo? Or how about our logo done by another artist? Well you asked for it and here it is! We now have a Nightdive Studios merchandise shop! For a limited time only, we will be offering a 10% discount with code SCUBASTEVE, please check it out:

shop.nightdivestudios.com

Shout Out
If you are interested in any other games to back on Kickstarter, please consider Fort Triumph! Fort Triumph is a tactical RPG featuring interactive environments and epic quests in a world on the brink of destruction. It's basically a fantasy version of XCOM with environment physics. Pretty awesome!

d317500bd1b20ff301c57f1339d628d1_original.PNG

Fort Triumph is open for backing with just 4 days left to go!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forttriumph/fort-triumph-tactical-rpg

FAQ
Q: Will System Shock be Mac compatible?

A: Yes. Mac, Linux, and Windows

Q: How does the sizing work on the shirts?

A: We will update the Backerkit entry with a sizing chart for both male and female shirts.

Q: Can I use PayPal as my payment method on Backerkit?

A: We're still considering PayPal - hold tight!

Q: How long do I have until I need to finalize my Backerkit survey?

A: A few months before launch, we will send out a number of updates before we're ready to finalize orders.

Q: I pledged at the $75 tier and still have issues with shipping, what gives?

A: We are so sorry with the delay, we were working hard with Backerkit to resolve this issue. At this time, all backers at that tier should no longer have to worry!

If you have any other questions or support needs, please let us know here:

Support.NightdiveStudios.com

See you next time~!

(。・ω・。)ノ♡Karlee Meow

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What happened to the 1:1 room for room remake that the demo was, that was sick... and the fucking generic cinematic BioShock style music in a System Shock game... :negative:

I pledged $30 to this. :negative: I deserve this.

Are NightDive in any way qualified to be reimagining a game in this genre let alone one of the greatest ones, do they have former LGS people on the payroll now or are they still full indie nonames? My experience with them has just been their good GOG/steam rereleases/remasters and the impression I got from the System Shock demo was that their remake would be as faithful as possible to the original game so there would be a very small chance of fucking it up, how naive.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So this game is basically going to be Bioshock.

What a fucking train wreck. Didn't back, glad to see my cynicism paid off.

rezaf

Cipher
What a Prey ripoff.

I really feel Prey's release is a big problem for Nightdive. It has a very similar feel to the original System Shock, both engine and gameplay wise, it'll be hard to explain the absence of every single feature they cut (because you don't have those in modern games).
I don't know about you, but I'll always be like "but but but ... they had it in Prey!".

Why is it that when modern devs reimagine classic games it always ends up like when a vegetarian "reimagines" a burger?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Too many faggot hipsters in this business. Look at those younger guys in that pic. The one in the middle in particular looks so faggy i'm sure even Jasede is more masculine by comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom