Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'll state it now: The only concern I have for the console-aspect of System Shock 1 is that it may impact the control scheme of the game - as established I'm all for improved and modernised controls for the game, but gunning for the Almighty Console Controller may be a target that's incompatible with the game in general. Hopefully I'm wrong, but we'll see where this leads.

My other points regarding the development of the System Shock 1 Remake still stand, though. Don't change the formula, add to it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1639514

New Stretch Goals for VR, Graphic Novel, and Modding Support
Posted by Jason Fader (Collaborator)
Stretch Goals
With about 2 days remaining, we’ve decided to unveil the rest of the stretch goals!

33bab2f4d59507566bd848ec4ec39437_original.gif

Achievements Unlocked
Even more achievements have been unlocked by all of you. Well done!

2920b95c8eef50833a7f4acac4f44bce_original.png

Upcoming Livestream
Tune in at 1pm PST / 4pm EST for our Twitch stream with the original System Shock devs. This post has more details: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1638853

Also, later today we'll have details on our schedule for the final 24 hours of livestreaming leading up to the close of the Kickstarter. We have a lot of awesome guests lined up and some great games to play :-D

- Jason

Well, we won't be getting the source code... :(

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's some bullshit to hang the source code out as a carrot. Drop it as-is and let the community deal with the rest, it'll be managed properly on GIT within days.

tormund

Arcane
That is really disappointing. Early on I said how I'm afraid that they might put original's source code release as one of their stretch goals, and it turns out that I was right. That it was meant to be such a high goal (seriously guys, you can just RELEASE the damn thing and leave the rest to the enthusiasts, what effort or money can that require on your part?) and that they came clear about it so late is even more disappointing.

Really, what is about that entire "view original and remake as separate games, that is why we are serious about preserving original game for everyone" thing? They can't view modern source port for original game as some sort of danger or competition for their remake, can they?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They can't view modern source port for original game as some sort of danger or competition for their remake, can they?

They do. Look at what ZylonBane and others did for System Shock 1 without the source code. Can you imagine what they'd do if they got hold of it?

Divinity: Original Sin
Is the source code their property in full so that they could release it for free? Or does it belong in part to EA, hence the high value?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1640132

24 Hour Livestream and 1.2m Stretch Goal
Posted by Jason Fader

Less than 48 hours remaining in the campaign and what a ride it’s been so far! Before getting into things, I’d like to ask a favor of all of you… If you know of anyone that can help spread the word about the Kickstarter, please do what you can. The more we raise, the better the game will be :)

Nightdive 24 Hour Livestream
Starting tomorrow at 12pm PDT, 3pm EDT, we’ll be streaming some fun stuff on our Twitch channel! Most of the events will be game playthroughs as devs from those games sit in and chat with us, sharing stories and giving their thoughts on System Shock.

4771714d1b1d6b0a8d400653786b8194_original.png

Here’s the schedule (in PDT):

• 12pm - BioShock with Robb Waters
  • 2pm - Warframe with Rachael Messer
  • 4pm - Fallout: New Vegas with Chris Avellone and various FNV devs
  • 7pm - Deus Ex with Alexander Brandon
  • 9pm - Interview with Steve Gaynor
  • 11pm - Nightdive plays System Shock 2 Co-op
  • 4am - Animation demo with Max Lebled
  • 6am - Art demo with Jonah Lobe
  • 9am-12pm - Q&A with Nightdive and KS Countdown
Tune into our Twitch channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

1.2m Stretch Goal Met
Today we reached our 1.2m stretch goal and localization has been unlocked! Thanks to your efforts, the text in System Shock will be translated to French, Italian, German, and Spanish. Grazie!

System Shock 1 Devs Commentary
Our livestream with some of the amazing developers of the original System Shock was a real treat! We can’t wait to collaborate with them throughout this project and beyond :-D

Here’s a link to the video if you missed it: https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios/v/80140939

Remember, there’s not much time left, so please help if you can!

- Jason

Fallout: New Vegas with Chris Avellone and various FNV devs

Hmmm.

Cassar

Savant
So all in all, a teenager is doing a multiplatform System Shock remake, wants to add kewl locations and stuff that wasnt there, has the source code but wont give it up unless we pay him 2 million dollars and wants an additional three hundred grand on top of that so we are worthy of mod support for the game. Can't wait to play the game.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Gee, I guess someone cynical would think they are dangling the source code in front of our faces just to get a nice final rush of money, knowing they won't reach two millions, just so they later can release it and say "See? We're great guys!" if they need a PR boost. But a modern indie dev would never do that, right? :M

Latelistener

Arcane
  • Source codes are boring - Instead of letting the player feel stronger with the source code, we’re more in favor of milking and corporate depth.
  • Things do not make any sense - We want to release the game on the vending machines. We know they're mainly for cripple players who can get a kool boost to their abilities.
  • Stretch goals are bad in moderation - Throughout the campaign, the player will find many useless stretch goals. We're going to get crazy with this one. If something is tedious, expect us to do it.
  • Only one way to solve a problem - We're going to assume our players are smart and will not back our bullshit.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
kickstarter over

Successfully raised $1,350,700 with 21,625 backers
Thank fucking god, the RPG mechanic stretch goal was not reached
There was no RPG mechanic stretch goal.

1.4 mil was a stretch goal for additional content. New areas including new floors and groves as well as more cyberspace. They explained all that in update #14 over a week ago.

We've altered the 1.4m stretch goal to something a bit more manageable from a game development standpoint. Before, it was vague and misleading regarding “RPG Elements”. That lead to a bit of confusion and unease with our backers, and to be perfectly honest, deep system features like that are pretty dangerous as stretch goals. We have an awesome vision for the game and setting a bunch of features we deeply believe in to a stretch goal stifles our own creativity since we can't fully plan for things.

Now, the 1.4m stretch goal is something much safer for us to scale if we don’t make the goal. It’s to add content in the form of more maps such as Groves, floors of Citadel Station, and Cyberspace content. This will make it better for us to properly execute on our core vision of the game, while still being able to offer some more awesome content if we hit the stretch goal.

So the RPG Stuff...
As I mentioned before, we have a pretty good vision of where we want to take things and what RPG systems we’ll be leaning towards within our budget. Also, RPG systems can imply a lot of things, so I'll go over some core concepts that we're following with the overall systems design.

• Stats are boring - Instead of letting the player feel stronger with stat boosts and level identification, we’re more in favor of ability and skill depth. As the player progresses, they will get more abilities/weapons, which will take skill to master (player skill, not skill points)
  • Things should make sense - We want to have vending machines, but they're mainly for food/drinks that the player can get to help heal themselves or provide a slight boost to their abilities. You won't hack a vending machine to get a gun, since why would a vending machine on a space station have a gun?
  • Upgrades are good in moderation - Throughout the game, the player will find upgrades to their abilities and find better weapons. We're not going to get crazy with this one since the point of the game is to have fun, and not noodle around in your inventory. If something is tedious, don't expect us to do it.
  • Multiple ways to solve a problem - We're going to assume our players are smart and want to find creative solutions to problems/enemies. We'll provide the tools/weapons/abilities, and the player will decide how they want to solve the problem given their playstyle.
I know that isn't very detailed, but it's still early in the game’s development, and things can change. Those rules above are what we're confident in delivering. At the end of the day, we always ask ourselves “What would Looking Glass do?” and strive to carry on their tradition of innovation and quality while being as faithful as we can be to the original game.

- Jason

So basically you are celebrating that we didn't get more areas to explore. MCA would probably have done something cool with them.

Athelas

Arcane
Adding new levels onto a pre-existing set of tightly interconnected levels raises just as many issues as adding RPG elements though.

nil

Cipher
kickstarter over

Successfully raised $1,350,700 with 21,625 backers
Thank fucking god, the RPG mechanic stretch goal was not reached
"We know we didn't make the rpg mechanics stretch goal, but we decided to do it anyway to show how grateful we are for you support! We are awesome!"

"And now for the bad news. Back in 2016, when we did the kickstarter, we reached the rpg mechanics stretch goal. You may have noticed we've been quiet about it for a while now. The thing is, after extensive testing we come to the conclusion that they simply don't benefit the game, so we won't be implementing them. On the flip side, this frees up more time for the ps4 version that you all want so much."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1640635

Funded!
Posted by Jason Fader

Wow! Thank you all so much for your support and faith in us! :-D Our project has officially been funded and it’s been an amazing 30 days with all of you. First, here are some words from our CEO, Stephen Kick:

---------------------------------------------------------

We've done it! With the help of our thousands of dedicated, passionate, and generous backers we've raised over $1.3 million dollars to bring System Shock back to life!

These last 30 days have been a wild ride but we've enjoyed every moment of it. From reading your comments, answering your questions, and interacting with you on Discord and Twitch it's been an experience we've enjoyed more than anything else. It's clear from the overwhelming outpouring of support that System Shock means so much to so many people and we're extremely honored that you've chosen us - and entrusted us with the monumental task of remaking one of, if not the greatest game of all time. No pressure!

From everyone here at Nightdive...Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! We couldn't have done it without you and look forward to having you join us as we embark on our return voyage to Citadel Station!

Again...from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

Stephen Kick CEO - Nightdive Studios

What’s Next?
The team is going to take the weekend to get some rest, especially Daniel (our producer) that powered through most of the 24hr Twitch stream. That man is a beast. After that, we’ll be jumping into pre-production on the project next week and building this amazing game!

Ongoing Crowdfunding
We’re still working on getting PayPal set up on our site. No ETA on it yet, but once it’s up, folks will be able to make pledges towards our ongoing campaign tiers (which may differ from the Kickstarter tiers). We’ll also carry on most of the stretch goals from Kickstarter into our site crowdfunding, so VR could still happen if we’re able to raise enough. Some stretch goals will have a deadline attached to them if they impact the development of the game, like additional content, VR support, etc. Other stretch goals like the art book, graphic novel, and the original System Shock 1 open sourced will be attainable well into the project’s development.

Communication
If we haven’t responded to a message from you on Kickstarter, or a comment, please bare with us for a bit. We’ve gotten A LOT of messages, more than we can reasonably respond to in a timely manner. We’re trying to get through all of it. The hardest things for us to respond to are comments in updates and on the campaign, but a few folks in the community have been awesome and are relaying common answers we’ve given elsewhere. You have our thanks if you’re one of the few that has been kind enough to help us with that! :-D

Twitch Streams
We’re working on getting all of the videos up on our Youtube channel, but until then, you can access all of our recent stream archives on Twitch here:https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios/profile

Stay tuned for more stuff later, and once again, thank you all for your support in us!!!

- Jason Fader, Project Director on System Shock

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the important bit:
Ongoing Crowdfunding
We’re still working on getting PayPal set up on our site. No ETA on it yet, but once it’s up, folks will be able to make pledges towards our ongoing campaign tiers (which may differ from the Kickstarter tiers). We’ll also carry on most of the stretch goals from Kickstarter into our site crowdfunding, so VR could still happen if we’re able to raise enough. Some stretch goals will have a deadline attached to them if they impact the development of the game, like additional content, VR support, etc. Other stretch goals like the art book, graphic novel, and the original System Shock 1 open sourced will be attainable well into the project’s development.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter postmortem from Larry Kuperman, the Director of Business Development of NDS: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JayP...tarter_Post_Mortem_with_Nightdive_Studios.php

Our Kickstarter campaign for the reboot of the classic game System Shock concluded on July 28th, 2016, having raised just over $1.35 million or 150% of our project goal. We learned a great deal during the process and I wanted to share some of the lessons while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

There were a number of decisions that had to be made beginning in the period leading up to the campaign.

Kickstarter Versus Fig – Kickstarter is the best known of the various crowdfunding solutions, but there are a number of alternatives available today. In the period leading up the campaign we had several meetings with the team from Fig.co. They certainly made a persuasive case for their platform, which has had some notable successes. In the end we decided to go with Kickstarter, based in large measure on our wanting customers more than investors. We had a great experience with Kickstarter and we received excellent support, but I would urge other companies to carefully consider all alternatives before making a decision as to platform.

Sailing Into The Headwind – Just before our campaign was to launch, the press and consumer reviews of Mighty No. 9 came out. Many people who had backed that title on Kickstarter were disappointed. People began to ask us if we weren’t worried about “Kickstarter fatigue.” Once our campaign began, we did see a small minority of users post that they wouldn’t back a game because of fear of a negative experience, but we had taken steps to counter-act these concerns.

The Success of the Demo – As far back as March, timed around the Games Developer Conference, we had shown a Demo of a pre-alpha build of the game. Initially, only screenshots and a video of gameplay were available. But we wanted to demonstrate to backers that we were committed to creating a real game and that they could play an opening level themselves. Timed to coincide with the launch of the Kickstarter campaign, we made the Demo available to anyone. You didn’t have to back the game first; in fact we encouraged everyone to try the Demo for themselves. We made it available through Steam, through GOG.com and through the Humble Store.

We were well aware of the risks involved. It was pre-Alpha after all. Potentially, there could have been some kind of bug that had not come up in our testing. In the days and hours leading up the release our team was still working on optimizing performance. Yet in the end, the release of the Demo, more than any other single factor, contributed to our success. We succeeded in showing our commitment to making a great game and that we were going to be honest and transparent with our supporters.

Working With the Press – In the days leading up to the Kickstarter launch, we gave the reporters at Polygon a build of the Demo to try out and allowed them to do a full video review. Bear in mind that our developers were still at work optimizing performance. We knew that we were taking yet another risk. But we felt, and we were right about this, that seeing the gameplay in the Demo would encourage potential backers to try it for themselves. The article and the video review contributed to the success of the campaign.

We took great pains to make ourselves available to the press and the public. We did too many interviews to count, some live, some through Skype and others through email. Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive studios held an “Ask Me Anything” session on Reddit. We streamed gameplay on Twitch. Visibility was important and we put a lot of effort into this.

With A Lot of Help From Our Friends – Nightdive Studios has been publishing games since 2012 and is, I am very pleased to say, well-respected in the gaming community. Moreover, many of us individually are veterans of the gaming industry. Before and during the campaign we reached out to our friends and contacts and they all came through for us, supporting us via mailing lists and social media. The list includes many luminaries in the gaming industry: Paul Neurath, Warren Spector and Tim Stellmach of OtherSide Entertainment; Brian Fargo of inXile Entertainment; Tim Schafer of Double Fine; Matt Toschlog of Revival Productions; Chris Bourassa and Tyler Sigman of Red Hook Studios. There are many others, too numerous to name.

We also got great support from many of the corporations that we work with. Steam, GOG.com and Humble all hosted the Demo for us. We worked with Razer on the laptops that were part of the tiers. Microsoft and SONY both carried news stories. Dynamite Entertainment is working on an art book. NVIDIA donated a video card for a drawing. Again there were many others.

We also received amazing support from Luke Crane, Head of Games at Kickstarter. Every time that we managed to break something, Luke was there to fix it for us. We truly could not have done it without him.

And none of this would have been possible without the amazing efforts of the team at Arms & Anchors. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Keep Me Posted – We knew in advance that we would need to post frequent updates, on the Kickstarter page itself, the various forums and on social media. But until you are actually in it, you cannot understand how much time and effort this is going to take.

We had prepared a schedule of activities and posts in advance, with the understanding that there were other milestone events that we would post that could not be scheduled in advance. For example the date when we would make our initial goal could not be predicted.

However as the campaign became more and more successful (we raised $400,000 in the first 48 hours) new opportunities arose. The NVIDIA card donation, mentioned earlier, was not initially planned. That needed an update on the Kickstarter page, followed by social media posts, then answering questions on the forums. While it sounds like a good problem to have, it all took time.

Summary and Key Points – Find the platform that is right for you. There are more choices now, be sure to do your research. While it might not work for every company, the Demo was a key factor for us. The press can be your biggest ally, communicate as early as you can, allowing them lead time. Engage with partners and industry friends.

I hope that people in the industry find this of some help.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
hey dya think there's any KS goal to have the whole thing cancelled?

"2,000,000 = "Sometimes..dead is better!!!"
Thank you for helping us reach the 2 million mark! Now we've made enough to pay everyone and call the whole thing off! Thanks everybody!!!"

Latro

Arcane
t seems like this remake is aimed more towards fans of System Shock 2 who either never played or were indifferent to the original.
Disagree, I think the remake is aimed towards people who played Bioshock and maybe a few minutes of SS2 at least, a Let's Play at most.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom