Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

JBro

Arbiter
I do that every time I play a game that is not System Shock 1. Also, you do understand that this remake would be a different game, right? It will never the original System Shock 1. At the very point where they alter the graphics it will no longer be the same game, let alone when they make "updates to the weapon/character designs." Why then would I want something that is not the original but is a poor approximation of the original, rather than something that at least makes an attempt to be unique.

Most games aren't unique. It's supposed to be a remake.

Latelistener

Arcane
2 years down the toilet, and they're back to the same concept that people gave them money for. What a waste.

:dead:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So was booting Fader a good thing? Besides the drama and shitstorm, I haven't been following the project's development closely enough to know much about Fader's role and input.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Actually a game I'd really like a remake of(as long as nothing except ui and maybe graphics are changed).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, those portraits in the images aren't from the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2156127

May Update

Hello backers! It’s Stephen from Nightdive with this month’s update.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

It’s been an insanely productive month on all fronts, but let’s cover general updates:

We’d like to welcome Jonathan H. (Synaesthesia on Discord) to the team! Jonathan’s been cranking out props and assets for the Medical Deck. On the programming side the puzzles are going through rapid iteration so we can randomly generate their difficulty based on the difficulty level you’ve chosen at the start of the game. The interface/interactions are coming together quickly and you can now pick up and move items in your inventory. All other base interactions and usable inventory items have been proxied out and will be placed in the levels that are being blocked out. We’re on schedule with our goal of having the game being playable from start to finish (sans Weapons & Enemies) by September.

Kickstarter Surveys for the CITADEL CREW MEMBER, CYBORG ELITE, and HUMAN CORPSEbackers are going out soon!

Next, let’s cover our Streaming initiative:

We’ve hosted 10 streams covering gaming and development of System Shock across multiple disciplines.

Chris M. has been working on modeling environment assets and building out the Medical deck.

49e7c40f88f98673439057df83c919b3_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

I (Stephen K.) worked on converting the hi-res Humanoid Mutant character into the Virus Mutant.

386d9721aa39ff44c5e17c0e1ba3cf75_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Karlee’s been playing some games as a fun way to get to know everyone better and to explore Nightdive’s classic library as well as other indie titles.

150aa15ddb7f47fedc26693b5e673a14_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Daniel G. blocked out and annotated almost the entirety of Level 7 (Systems Engineering)

900876fe028f64939faaf32d2c6bead6_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

The streams have been a great way to show you guys what we’re up to and to answer development related questions as we’re working. Since we’ve had so much fun we’re going to be introducing new developers in their own streams and cover different areas of development in the near future.

We’d also like to give DeepChrome a shout-out, we love the avatars you created for us!

d1a2982f974f8667660d1a5048dd71c4_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

If you missed any of our streams and want to catch up, you’re in luck! We’ve uploaded all of our streams to YouTube!

Click to check out our livestream playlist!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Here’s what we have in store for May:

May 7th: Dev w/Daniel Grayshon @2pm PST

May 9th: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 10: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 11th: Dev w/Stephen Kick @6pm PST

May 14th: Dev w/Daniel Grayshon @2pm PST

May 16th: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 17th: Dev w/Chris Mansell @12pm PST

May 18th: Dev w/Stephen Kick @6pm PST

May 21st: Dev /Daniel Grayshon @2pm PST

May 23rd: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 24th: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 25th: Dev w/Stephen Kick @6pm PST

May 28th: Dev w/Daniel Grayshon @2pm PST

May 30th: Gaming w/Karlee Meow @4pm PST

May 31st: Dev w/Chris Mansell @12pm PST

https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

New Screenshots & Concepts:
If you’ve been joining us on stream you’ll recognize some of these new areas and assets taking shape.

b042137bf4b33af754f600353dc3221a_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

420d74f7f54995d75c90f40859a0c867_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

b44a8fd2e8f72e1c9f815758bf8a2b57_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

d91d6e69a2e394eefe403d9ff9e5b780_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

a8c6ca3dcae24396c8c2acf726892c29_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Questions & Answers from Discord Community
Q: With the refocus/change in direction, will the game still be coming to Linux, Mac, PS4, and XBOX One?

A: Absolutely. Nightdive is now an authorized developer for both PlayStation and Xbox and with the refocus on style and scope we will also be able to port the game to another very popular platform.

Q: With the refocus/change in direction, will all the KickStarter rewards/physical items/promised perks still be coming?

A: Yes, all physical rewards will be produced. There are a few things we would like to re-visit, namely the Repair Bot figure included in the Big Box edition and the Citadel Station Statue offered to the CORTEX REAVER level backers. The Repair Bot is an insanely detailed and complex little figure that is proving to be quite fragile, so we’d like to consider a replacement item. If you have any ideas please let us know! As for the Citadel Station, it’s a similar issue with all the antennas and fragile pieces. Since we’ll be producing such low numbers we’re going to give those backers a choice of what they’d like made. Citadel Station, maybe a resin statue of one of the Mutants? Maybe a replica of a weapon from the game?

Q: Will all met stretch goals/backer mission goals from early in the campaign still make it into the game? IE, gender choice for the player character, hidden logs about SHODAN's creation, expanded narrative or station, etc.

A: Yes, all the stretch goals that were met will be included. We’ll go through and update the stretch goals as some of these were dependant on social media goals and external funding through Backerkit which have since been met and other that can still be met!

Q: What is the plan for Cyberspace?

A: We’ve worked on a few concepts throughout development and haven’t settled on anything quite yet. We currently have a two person team working specifically on Cyberspace and will hopefully have something to share soon. We feel like it’s such an important part of System Shock’s identity that we want to make sure it provides a jaw-dropping reaction the first time it’s experienced.

Q: In the live developers stream that focused on Medical, it was mentioned grayboxing was being done elsewhere on the station. How much of the station is roughly grayboxed out at this point?

A: Roughly 55% of the game has been blocked out.

Q: Is there anywhere I can apply to be an alpha/beta tester, quality control, or help with coding?

A: Not yet, but when we’re ready the Kickstarter backers will be the first to know. We will be looking for people with testing experience and an in-depth knowledge of System Shock.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Continued Communication:
Please join us on Discord!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

3ca6fc1c92057af350ec4fbcb8c47b2c_original.png

We’re in there every day answering questions!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Shout Out!
Finally we shave a shout out to the devs at Umeshu Lovers!

20bee5b140746ebe291c24a009e8a60f_original.jpg

Forest of Liars is an adventure game that delivers a different experience every time you play. The game takes place in the titular Forest of Liars, a vast, lush labyrinth where explorers unmask the mysteries of a realm where many have entered but none have ever returned. There, you will encounter secretive strangers who can assist you on your quest to reach the forest’s heart. The core of the game lies in your interactions with your traveling companions as well as the many decisions you will need to make in a world as beautiful as it is dangerous. Your choices will guide you either to the breathtaking marvels of the forest or to an untimely and brutal death if you ignore the dangers that surround you.

Check out their project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2046612117/forest-of-liars-a-narrative-adventure-game

ff995e9f8c6c124884c6664763bf6399_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Also find us on:

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio

https://twitter.com/SystemShockGame

https://www.facebook.com/NightdiveStudios/

https://system-shock.backerkit.com/

https://shop.nightdivestudios.com/

http://forums.nightdivestudios.com/

http://www.systemshock.com/discord

https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

See you next time~!

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Karlee’s been playing some games as a fun way to get to know everyone better and to explore Nightdive’s classic library as well as other indie titles.
I bet I could do her job better.
Where do I apply?

Perkel

Arcane
Hey look actual space station. It is amazing that SS1 art design upgraded with latest tech gives Aliens run for money in therms of atmosphere.

b042137bf4b33af754f600353dc3221a_original.png

b44a8fd2e8f72e1c9f815758bf8a2b57_original.png

potatojohn

Arcane
Their previous design looked way better. I'm disappointed that they went back to this "retro" thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well that's nice:

Nightdive is Still Alive

You might remember a few months ago I wrote about the sad story of Nightdive Studios. They got to rights to remake the 1994 classic System Shock. They made a dynamite demo and raised over a million dollars on Kickstarter. And then six months into development they threw away the demo and started over with a new graphics engine. A year later they (apparently) ran out of money and shut the project down. In the process, they laid of 15 people.

I predicted the project was dead at this point, but it looks like I was wrong. They’ve gone back to a design that matches the original demo and begun work on the low-tech version of the game they started with.

I don’t have much to say about what they’re doing, but after writing that very negative column back in February I thought I should at least acknowledge this change in direction. I don’t know what money they’re living on at this point[1], but I’m glad work has resumed on the project.

While I still strongly disagree with their previous decisions, I think this new direction is the best possible response. I can’t think of anything the team could do at this point that would placate me[2] more than what they’re doing now.

I wouldn’t say I’m feeling “hopeful” about the project at this point, but I’m no longer assuming the entire enterprise is doomed. And that’s sort of like being hopeful. I guess.

Best of luck to the team.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
SS1 source port now in beta: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2208998

June Update

Hello backers! It’s Stephen from Nightdive with this month’s update.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

It’s been another productive month so let’s get right to it!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Jonathan continues to bust out prop after prop for the medical deck!

ab691ef6655c94ae58eb2818e7730dcd_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

9b63fa2ac9d7bd529d026a01c8c02ef7_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

While Matt is waiting on final art for interactables he’s been working on everyone’s favorite portable game console, the GAME PIG! (working title!) We can’t share a ton of details right now, but our Game Pig will include an original game...

Here’s a very early prototype of controllable (proxy) sprites on one of our props. The Game Pig is really going to Rock, Man.

731cda75217e31cedb48a6a3d33cd8b2_original.gif

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Chris is working on props, puzzles and some underlying tech to give our art and design teams flexibility when building new props. One of the features he’s developed is the ability to change tile set colors within UE4.

8cfdf80f66da0e2543e4063093061ea2_original.gif

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

He’s also working on puzzles and how they will be placed and implemented into the levels.

0250134311c2ae9deb3e37392757b351_original.gif

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Daniel has finished the Blockout of Level R and has been working on Level 7.

12c598b1740e0689ab7b119c940e2480_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Robb has been working on re-imagining tiles from the original game. Here’s one of the doors and the updated concept from Robb:

8bb7a30d88e498d68b65c66dc40a5658_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀

7066a51b4e7ceaf99f7198e53d2344d8_original.jpg

⠀⠀

And...the model/animation from Jonathan:

a0cacaddc945fb5a658c98a5eacd79dd_original.gif

and finally...

8e6eafb0268ed8dbe65a6d4cf6c2ed1e_original.jpg

⠀⠀

Updated Cyborg Drone concept!

⠀⠀

Survey...take 2!
We ran into a small issue with the surveys for the CITADEL CREW MEMBER, CYBORG ELITE, and HUMAN CORPSE backers. We wanted to send them through Kickstarter but realized that creators are only allowed to send ONE survey, which means that when physical goods are ready to be sent out we wouldn’t be able to send out an additional survey requesting updated mailing addresses. We’ve moved over to another service and will be sending those soon.
⠀⠀
System Shock: Enhanced Edition Update!
⠀⠀
The time is nearly here! The source port for System Shock: Enhanced Edition is in Closed Beta and if you own the game on Steam you can play it RIGHT NOW!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/410710/System_Shock_Enhanced_Edition/
⠀⠀

e7019c8764423aeb891317dcd884c7a9_original.png

⠀⠀

ef8a5c8293621326f2820faf8f0f5c96_original.png

⠀⠀

67dbfabdf2e2da1b717f8fe68e7a5634_original.png

⠀⠀

You can opt-in to product betas by right clicking the System Shock: Enhanced Edition in your Steam Library and choosing "Properties".

Next, enter the password "saltthosefries" under the "Enter beta access code to unlock private betas text box, select the “new_beta” from the drop-down menu...and launch the game!

Join the System Shock: Enhanced Edition Discord channel to discuss changes, bugs, and anything else you encounter!

There will also be a Level Editor created by @dertesha who is always lurking in the Source Code Channel - he’s been working on an unofficial source port you can check out here:

https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock

Our goal is to include the Editor with the final release which will allow the creation of New Levels, and the ability to replace assets from the base game such as textures, sounds, audiologs, etc!

⠀⠀

Streaming Update:
⠀⠀
Highlights!
⠀⠀

June 13th
Daniel, Karlee and myself will be hosting an E3 stream where we’ll discuss all the latest news and announcements from the event.

June 14th
Jonathan will be doing his first art stream!

67e59ef09a762a7edf5863a8365bb91c_original.jpg

Thanks again to DeepChrome for the amazing avatar!
⠀⠀

June 29th

Surprise MP Stream of an upcoming Nightdive release!

⠀⠀

Here’s our upcoming streaming schedule!

June 11th Daniel @2pm PST/5pm EST

June 13th E3 w/ Daniel, Karlee &Stephen @4pm PST/7pm EST

June 14th Jonathan Holmes @6pm PST/9pm EST

June 15th Stephen @6pm PST/9pm EST

June 18th Daniel @2pm PST/5pm EST

June 20th Karlee @4pm PST/7pm EST

June 22nd Stephen @6pm PST/9pm EST

June 25th Daniel @2pm PST/5pm EST

June 27th Karlee @4pm PST/7pm EST

June 28th Jonathan Holmes @6pm PST/9pm EST

June 29th Surprise MP Stream! @4pm PST

If you missed any of our streams and want to catch up, you’re in luck! We’ve uploaded all of our streams to YouTube!

⠀⠀

⠀⠀

Continued Communication:
Please join us on Discord!

https://discord.gg/nightdive

3ca6fc1c92057af350ec4fbcb8c47b2c_original.png

We’re in there every day answering questions!

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
System Shock 1+2 really don't hold up if you go back to them today. They are pretty much case studies in style over substance. Since we know they can't make the modern version of super slick art and music this really has no point to exist. It will just be Unity 'game' 233223 where you walk around at slow speed through shitty LOD pop.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
System Shock 1+2 really don't hold up if you go back to them today. They are pretty much case studies in style over substance. Since we know they can't make the modern version of super slick art and music this really has no point to exist. It will just be Unity 'game' 233223 where you walk around at slow speed through shitty LOD pop.

System Shock 2 absolutely holds to whatever the fuck you want.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If you dig out the old threads we told kickstarter devs 7 years ago that Unity is shit. Maybe in another 7 years they are able to create a game, a shitty game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom