Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios - actually a remake again

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Well, it is a little exaggerated I'll give you that. Illegible font? Abominable interface etc etc? Each aspect has its problems but he's making them out to be completely broken. Shock's font is hard to read at times, and the interface a pain to get accustomed to, but they still frickin work.

^ Top  
  2. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Shamus is rightfully thrashed in the comments.

• Funny Funny x 9
    ^ Top  
  3. Grauken Mapmaking AI Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    What a tool

• Agree Agree x 10
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    So Shamus has to play his first person perspective games like a flight sim? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Nano Learned

Nano
    Parrots:
    In that case he should give this game a shot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Latelistener Arbiter

Latelistener
    Parrots:
    So, basically after getting the money from Kickstarter, they decided that System Shock is actually a shit game for dirty oldfags, and consoles are top priority.
    Since SS is shit, they need to make a new concept of a better game, more suitable for consoles, call it System Shock, and show it to publishers to make even more shekels.
    But then it turns out that Starbreeze already has System Shock 3 with Warren Spector, and other publishers don't really give a shit about the genre (the reason why Night Dive came to Kickstarter in the first place).

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Parrots:
    Consoles smonsholes. Boiled down, this is what it is: Backer's money was used as a gamble in the primary interest of growing the status of Night Dive as a business. They blew it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    What? This is a perfectly natural way to do things. How does one look up in real life? Tilt head BACK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JBro Learned

JBro
    Parrots:
    I don't look up by moving my thumb back.

^ Top  
  10. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    So you change horizontal controls also?

you tilt your head left to look right...

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Cipher

RoSoDude
    Parrots:
    For what it's worth, I used to prefer inverted Y controls when I played console games using a Southpaw control scheme (left stick camera control), but when using my right hand on a thumbstick or a mouse I prefer non-inverted. There's some aspect of what your basic intuition is here, and it's not totally clear to me why I prefer one over the other in each case. Somehow when my left hand is in control of the camera, I get the flight-sim intuition of tilting your head forward or back to look down or up, but when my right hand is in control of the camera I feel like I'm controlling my character's eyes and viewpoint directly.

Shamus Young may be a bit on the dopey, "muh narrative" side when it comes to his preferences in video games (as evidenced by the fact that he thought System Shock had problems which would be improved through novelization), but I think he really got to the heart of the matter as it concerns the development of Night Dive's reboot...thing. Namely, that none of their development decisions made any sense if you were still fooled into thinking that they had any intentions of producing the promised faithful remake, but that they made perfect sense if you understood that they were using the Kickstarter money to try to make a pitch to big publishers rather than to actually make the game. The guy doesn't have to have a deep understanding of the design of classic games to recognize the remake's trajectory towards mainstream AAA that would produce an inherent decline from the original pitch. Rightfully shit on his taste all you like, but he's on our side here.

Also, his DM of the Rings webcomic is pretty entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Parrots:
    They were most likely thinking that they could raise money from one group of people for a specific product and then use that money to instead make a different product to sell to another group of people, but that would still technically qualify as what the original group paid for. Clever plan that could have made them a lot of money if they hadn't fucked up the execution.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    I don't think you can really call it a plan. A plan is something that is likely to succeed and will do so based upon the skill of those involved. By far the majority of proposals are going to be rejected by the AAA suits (who tend to do so based less on the actual gaming merits and more on whatever is fashionable or making money right now, which games like SS1 aren't). It was a pure gamble, hoping that they could get lucky and rake in 10s of millions as a AAA game rather than produce the game as promised and make only a million or so.

^ Top  
  14. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    I think this is my favorite thread in rpgcodex, related to a game I love. One could see the moment fanboys souls are crushed by false promises while Darth Roxor posts "I told you" over and over again. Can't wait for the next dev to promise to (((remaster))) some great old game. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:

I think they can still make it, like Kintaro. If from now on they code night and day they can still make a better game than System Shock. They can! In BASIC!

^ Top  
  16. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    No you don't. Grab your hair and pull. Which way do you pull to do that?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    left if I pull right. The controls are on the back of the head, not on top. if you grab a handful of hair from the back of the head, and pull to the left, you will face left, since we are talking about camera controls, and your neck will rotate. Do not mistake camera controls with Q and E as leaning keys. If you have your hands on the top of the head, pulling right will make your read lean right, but you still face the same direction.

The thing is, to be like a plane, tilting the control left right would be like a barrel roll, in an FPS that means leaning. To rotate the camera, the analogue button should have a 3rd axis, in which you could rotate the stick.

^ Top  
  18. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    Well, here's the thing: You don't normally grab heads by the back because you only do this with children, and they're too short for you to grab anything but the top. And trying to grab the back of your OWN head is just awkward.

^ Top  
  19. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Fix'd that for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Parrots:
    Hey, don't distract yourselves from this major fuck up. Remember to:

:fight::mob:

^ Top  
  21. Grauken Mapmaking AI Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    I'm quite happy about the result, either people have to play the original or not at all

(remasters are one of the four horsemen)

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    I cross my fingers for sources being released. I would be best outcome of this clusterfuck.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Parrots:
    Some plans are more risky than others, that doesn't make them invalid. Even though Nightdive weren't successful with this scheme, the only thing they lost was the backer's money, so for them this situation is just a lost opportunity, not a real problem.

^ Top  
  24. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    They did have a moderately successful business buying old games and providing some simple fixes to resell on Steam/GOG. That's probably down the drain now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Why down the drain? On the contrary, I expect them to do more of that now. They need the money.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)