Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios - actually a remake again

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Nov 10, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Click here and disable ads!
    UPDATE - Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

http://www.fastcompany.com/3053050/...s-bringing-old-video-games-back-from-the-dead

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    :hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Unkillable Cat Professional Doorstop Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    This is something I thought of when I first heard that Night Dive had secured the rights, but for this to even be a viable course of action, several ducks needs to be lined up for the most epic shot ever: Underworld: Ascendant needs not to suck, Otherside Entertainment needs to survive to make another title and both Teri and Eric Brosius need to be brought in.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    No.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Oh, right. We've already seen re-imagined designs by Waters in the Polygon feature. Wonder if these were the part of the Night Dive's plan.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  7. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    If ANY publisher is involved with System Shock 3, it will be complete fucking shit (dumbed down, cash grab for just the name). Calling it now .

I would love to be proved wrong though... :M

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  8. pippin Guest

pippin
    Wasn't Dead Space supposed to be System Shock 3 or the person who told me that was high?
    At least EA had the rights for SS2 for a while.
    I don't know how well SS1's controls could perform in a console, without butchering the game into some sort of twin stick shooter. Devs, on the other hand, are capable of going above and beyond when it comes to port shit into mobile... they even made a mobile port of Bioshock, ffs. My friend has a Vita and was completely butthurt when the Vita port was canceled in favor of mobile.

^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yes, the project that soon would be called Dead Space was originally starting out as a System Shock 3 game, but EA could not secure the rights and then made the Dead Space game instead.

^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Ken Levine's System Shock Infinite

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. PeachPlumage Erudite

PeachPlumage
    Parrots:
    :shredder: Too close!

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  12. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    Yeah, considering how sequels turned out (not like first Dead Space was very good either, but at least it had some charm) we would have likely had bigger butthurt about it than about Bethesda raping Fallout franchise.

^ Top  
  13. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Parrots:
    And hence, it will be shit. Precisely like that thing i was talking about in the Microsoft has ruined gaming thread.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Why people decide to remake a good game is beyond me• • • r they are basically begging to be called for what they are ! the inferior version.

Instead, they should remake bad or flawed games that had a good premise but failed in execution .

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  15. tormund Arcane

tormund
    Parrots:
    At least they are spending they money on creating something, even if that something is a remake of older game, instead of just continuing to hunt down old IPs like license parasites they are. And I think after seeing how they are going to handle this remake, we will be able to judge if there is any hope of new System Shock game being any good.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    ^ Top  
  16. Gentle Player Arcane

Gentle Player
    Parrots:
    With SSP and now the enhanced GoG version, SS1 is almost perfect as is apart from annoying Cyberspace. If this remake is to be designed with consoles in mind from the onset then I can't see it not being dumbed down. Crouching, lying prone, leaning left and right - that's already 4 separate hotkeys needed, then they need keys for the various Hardware Implants. There are only so many buttons on a controller... Not to mention how awkward it will be dicking around in the Inventory menu with an analogue stick.

^ Top  
  17. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

Cool.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  19. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I want to believe... but I just can't. SS1 was a product of its time, technology and business environment as much as the team's creativity. To recreate that without breaking it seems to be an impossible task, and that's with everyone's best intentions. I would much rather see an Underworld Ascension-style spiritual sequel, which is allowed to be its own thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Fronzel Neekburm Erudite Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The fact they got Eric Brosius involved makes me more excited about this than anything else. That dude's sound work is one of the main contributing factors to the brilliance of the Thief series and Shock 2 (and to a lesser extent Swat 4). Hopefully, they'll also get Greg LoPiccolo.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. pippin Guest

pippin
    That is actually fucking cool. If they actually got Terri Brosious back, then at least I'm willing to tolerate the butchering of the controls.

^ Top  
  22. PeachPlumage Erudite

PeachPlumage
    Parrots:
  23. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Let me reinforce this:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Well it at least shows that they care more about SS than the Thiaf team did about Thief. Not that that's saying much....

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)