Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
SS1 with more emphasized existing horror themes would be a better SS1.
No it wouldn't. Survival horror has been done, done, done and done and done in gaming (even if often badly). Cyberpunk hacking spaceship laser-skating 180 degree vision adventures with laser rapiers, wireframe cyberspace and some horror elements, though? Sign me up!

Ash

Arcane
I think it would, but only if the above listed things (and the wacky music style) were not eradicated solely to achieve it. We can still have greater emphasis on survival horror alongside jet skates, catchy music and cyberspace, but I think the general fear among us all is that some of those things will be removed for being perceived as detrimental to the realistic horror vibe, which they arguably would be, but since when is horror and realism absolute in a Looking Glass game? A big focus, yes, but absolute, no.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can't wait for backers audiologs.
First time I played System Shock 1, I couldn't set up the sound because of my DOS newbieness, played without sound, guess I will have to do that again if backer audiologs are a thing.

DraQ

Arcane
No it wouldn't. Survival horror has been done, done, done and done and done in gaming (even if often badly). Cyberpunk hacking spaceship laser-skating 180 degree vision adventures with laser rapiers, wireframe cyberspace and some horror elements, though? Sign me up!
Why settle for one one when you can have both and essentially for free too?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
hQ4DCO9.jpg

From NDS' twitter.

DraQ

Arcane
I love how it looks modern in regards to presentation while staying completely true to the original in regards to what it portrays - wall for wall, detail for detail.
Even Sparq Beam is instantly recognizable.

Of course it makes it completely derivative but I prefer this in what's supposed to be a remaster than almost inevitably misguided and arguably ill-willed reboot attempts.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah keeping original artstyle while making everything 3d insead of 2d textures works here

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm surprised that a studio which hasn't created anything (of note) is able to make something that looks this good, but still manages to stay faithful to the source material.

Any mentions of gameplay changes, or any alterations at all beyond the look and visuals?

Also, given that they've clearly upgraded the level of darkness and horror in the early levels (which were fairly well-lit in the original), have there been any screenshots or video of the originally dark or terrifying places from SS1? I think it was level 3 that was almost completely dark and had nigh-invisible monsters even when you lit it up, and IIRC level 5 (whichever level connected to the groves) was also darkness everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom