Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:lol:

Silva

Arcane
new.png

:what:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NDS Stephen Kick talked about the remake at a recent TalkShoe interview: http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-130336/TS-1059564.mp3

- Currently 6-10 people are working on the Remastered.

- They've extracted some of the original's geometry and assets into Unity, and use them as blueprint. It saves them a lot of time and money.

- While they're intending to do an authentic remake, they're also adding tiny details to levels with the help of Robb Waters, fleshing things out to bring a new light to their actual functions on the Station.

- Robb designed a huge Biodome area. More data logs.

- Control will be more like a modern FPS thing, such as Bioshock. (He said he's personally not a fan of playing FPS with a gamepad and the PC version with M/K control is their priority.)

- It has a robust inventory system similar to SS2 but without inventory tetris.

- He's aware that some want the original music back, but he thinks it doesn't fit the atmosphere they're striving. Though he's considering a stretch goal to remaster the original cyberpunk music and make it possible to switch between new horror tracks and remastered cyberpunk tracks.

- They'not involved in System Shock 3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think it's a question of two things: How it sounds by today's standards, and what the music is trying to achieve. You can make out tunes and melodies in them, but with the exception of the elevator muzak they don't really convey a specific mood or atmosphere - a problem System Shock 1 does share with its sequel.

(I played SS1 with other music than the in-game music, so I may be biased in my words.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://thegg.net/interviews/night-dive-studios-interview-with-stephen-kick/

Robin TGG
I have to say that I really like your slogan:
“Night Dive Studios’ mission is to bring lost and forgotten gaming treasures back from the depths”

As I truly like the idea of having a studio that works hard to bring back some of the old game gems from the past. However, how, when and where did Night Dive Studios happened exactly? And who came up with the name and business concept for “Night Dive Studios”? (for some strange reason what not. I read it as “Night Drive Studios” the first time I heard about your studio).

Kick – Night Dive Studios
I had been working in the industry as a character artist for a number of years when I reached a point where I was no longer having fun, my passion had become work and I was burned out making someone else’s game – so I quit! I decided to travel the world, gain new perspective and perhaps find some new direction for my life. On this trip I brought with me a laptop that I loaded up with some of my favorite classic games – The Curse of Monkey Island, Fallout 2, System Shock 2, etc.

It was one stormy night in Guatemala when I decided to revisit Shock 2 only to discover I couldn’t get it to run. Perplexed, I visited GOG.com to purchase a working copy to find it unavailable. I thought it unthinkable that one of the greatest games of all time was no longer playable so I set out to unravel the mystery of what happened to the IP and do what I could to bring it back for all to enjoy once more. The rest is history – we had such a great reception re-releasing SS2 that I decided to find more games you could no longer play or purchase legitimately.

The name “Night Dive” came to me while reminiscing of a recent trip I had taken in Australia. On one particular night dive I had descended about a hundred feet into pure darkness – it was terrifying but all I could think of were the dangers and treasures that await me in those depths. I couldn’t help but relate tracking down lost classic video games to that experience, plus it gave me an excuse to use a skull and tentacles in the logo

Looking Glass Studios and Origin Systems released “System Shock 1” back in September, 1994 (for MAC and DOS)

Robin TGG
How exactly did Night Dive Studios get their hands on the System Shock IP? (I do recall some story about someone being in the jungle playing System Shock?). And what was it like to make and work on the Enhanced Edition of System Shock 1? I would also like to ask if you worked close with anyone from the original System Shock team during the development of System Shock: Enhanced Edition?

We discovered who ended up with the IP after Looking Glass went bankrupt and worked with them to release System Shock 2 – after a few years we made an offer to purchase the IP and they accepted. System Shock: Enhanced was a great experience, we were able to reach out to a dedicated modder who had done some fantastic work on the original game and together we created the enhanced version that’s now on Steam and GOG. We didn’t work with anyone on the original team, but since the release we’ve had access to the original source code and it’s providing us with some interesting opportunities for future updates.

If you enjoyed the original “System Shock” game, then you´re going to love the Enhanced Edition for sure.

Robin TGG
Not so long ago you released the very first trailer for System Shock 1 Remastered. And even though everything in the video was pre-alpha footage. I just couldn´t help myself from jumping up and down like I´ve won the lottery, because graphical-wise the trailer got me really excited (the Unity Engine has done wonders on the graphics front).

In the matter of fact, I haven´t felt like this since I saw the trailer for Resident Evil Remake (the Gamecube version). And that´s the vibes that I got from the System Shock 1 Remastered, simply put. It´s a full-blown remake of System Shock but with modern-day graphics. And that´s more than enough to make me really thrilled.

So my question for you would be this. What are your own personal hopes, goals and expectations for the remake of System shock?

My personal hope is that we keep the vision of System Shock as true to the original as possible – System Shock is a masterpiece and working on a complete remake has been a daunting task for a number of reasons. First, it’s a big game – the levels are huge, there are a ton of enemy types, weapons, and various environments. Second, we’ve made such a strong impression with the pre-Alpha trailer that we’ve set the bar incredibly high for the graphical fidelity and overall experience.

Third, we’re a small team, this is our first game from scratch (collectively we’ve shipped over a dozen games) and we’re working with one of the most beloved franchises in gaming. Ultimately it’s our responsibility to deliver an unforgettable experience and it’s going to be a product of our love and passion for the game that both old fans and new fans will enjoy.

“System Shock 1 Remastered” looks really, really good so far.

Robin TGG
Is it true that System Shock 1 Remastered will get it´s own Kickstarter campaign? And that the game is set for a release to PC, PS4 and Xbox One sometime during 2017?

We are considering a crowdfunding campaign with a release date in 2017. The current platforms we’re aiming for are PC and Xbox One. Other platforms are not out of the question.
Robin TGG
Not so long ago you stated the following about “System Shock Remastered” in the regards of the in-game engine (Unity Engine):

“After 20 years, we are remastering and re-imagining the original System Shock. We will keep the new game true to the classic experience, keeping all the things you loved, while updating the user interface and graphics to use a modern-day engine (Unity).”

So my question would be this, just recently I heard that you had recruited System Shock’s original concept artist (Robert Waters). Is that true? If so, what was Waters reaction when he found out that he would be working on “System Shock Remastered”?

Yes, it’s true! As part of our team Robb has been able to faithfully translate the original vision he established in 1994 for a new audience. His concepts are chilling and have really guided the team in creating what you’ve seen so far in our pre-Alpha trailer – he’s also breathed new life into areas of the game that served little purpose in the original. For instance, there is a side room on the opening level that contains some plant life, we’ve looked at that area and re-evaluated it’s purpose on a space station.

In reality a room like that would be there to grow food, produce oxygen and provide an area for crew to escape the monotony of life in space. So, we’ve expanded that area to create a believable space which is an influence we’ve proudly taken from the level design of Shock 2. Everything should serve a purpose and by redesigning some of these areas we’ve ensured the game to be faithful while also having flexibility enabling us to add new zones and new gameplay and narrative opportunities.

Yep, Shodan is back again in “System Shock 3”.

Robin TGG
Back in December last year you launched a teaser page for System shock 3, and then you officially announced System Shock 3. That´s awesome news for everyone who loves System Shock of course. However, I do have some questions to ask you about SS3.
1. How did OtherSide Entertainment get involved in the SS3 project? Did you reach out to them, or did they reach out to you?

We’ve been working with Paul Neurath of OtherSide since acquiring the rights to re-release Shock 2 and it’s always been our goal to put the future of the franchise back in the hands of the original Origin/Looking Glass crew.

In the signup form for the SS3 newsletter, one of the questions asked the following:

“- On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest), please rate your interest in virtual reality gaming?”

Does that mean that you have plans to add virtual reality support to SS3?

You’ll have to ask OtherSide

Will there be a Xbox One and PS4 version of SS3?

Again, you’ll have to ask OtherSide.

4. Is Warren Spector a part of the System Shock 3 team?

Yes, it’s been announced that Warren will be a part of the System Shock 3 team!

Robin TGG
Is Ken Levine involved in the “System Shock Remastered” or “System Shock 3” project in some way? If that´s not the case, then why not?

Not in an official capacity, but we have had the opportunity to connect and talk about the Shock series since our announcements were made.

The original “Strife” game was release back in February, 1996 (Rogue Entertainment and Velocity Inc.).

Robin TGG
I bet that there is quite a few Gamers out there who doesn´t know that Night Dive Studios and Rogue Entertainment released a game called “Strife: Veteran Edition” together back in 2014 (Strife VE is available via Steam, and the game has received some very positive reviews from the players). So could you tell us a bit what Strife VE is all about, and how the project came about in the first place?

Strife was the unsung hero of the Doom engine games – it was ahead of it’s time, but unfortunately it was late to the 3D accelerated graphics party leaving it in this awkward space of being innovative but outdated. It was a game we immediately started getting requests for following our success with Shock and involved a considerable amount of work tracking down the rights holders – looking back on it I believe it took over a year to get papers signed. After we signed a deal we reached out to Sam Villarreal and James Haley who are both prominent modders in the Doom community and worked with them to deliver the best version of the game that we could. Since then Sam and James have joined our team and are working on more exciting restorations.

Will Night Dive Studios make a new “Blood” game? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Robin TGG
Back in September last year Stephen Kick (Founder and CEO of Night Dive Studios) mentioned that he would love to work on a new “Blood” game (Monoliths classic FPS series) during a Twitch Stream hosted by GOG.

So, is that something which you could elaborate a bit more about now? And “if” you get the rights for Blood, would it be a remake of the original game (a reboot). Or would you make a brand-new Blood game that´s based in the Blood universe?

Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior are phenomenal Build Engine games but I think you could argue that Blood was the best. So it’s strange that it would be the last game to get a proper remaster. The rights situation is muddy but it’s definitely on Night Dive’s wishlist – I imagine that if we ever did get the opportunity Blood would get a lot of love from our team. A new entry in the series would be an exciting project, I know Jace Hall has expressed interest in making a new Blood and having some of the original Monolith crew involved would be even more exciting.

Night Dive Studios “might” make a “System Shock 2” remake “if” SS3 and SSR turn out really well (grades and sales).

Robin TGG
Since Night Dive Studios has already released an enhanced edition of System Shock 1, and due to the fact that you´re working on a Remake of System Shock 1 as well. I just have to ask if there are any plans at all for a remake of system Shock 2 at this time?

We currently don’t have plans to remake Shock 2 though it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Robin TGG
If you could bring back any title of your choice to life again, then which game (s) would you like to resurrect? And would “Crusader No Remorse” and “No Regret” be one of those titles? (I´m a huge fan of the Crusader series).

I´m probably not the only one out there that would love to see Night Dive Studios develop a new “Blade Runner” game.

How could I not say No One Lives Forever? Let’s see – the Myth series would be great, Blade Runner, and some real niche titles like The Dark Eye, The Space Bar, Bad Day on the Midway, Drowned God – I would LOVE to remake Dark Forces in a similar fashion to our Shock remake.

Robin TGG
How have the reaction and feedback been for SS3, the remake of SS1 and the Enhanced Edition of SS1 so far? Personally, as a System Shock fan, I couldn´t possibly be any happier.

After my first phone call with the then current rights holders, I dreamt about the possibility of a Shock 3 but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that Night Dive would be responsible for making it all happen. As a fan myself it’s been overwhelming and I think many other fans feel the same way. I think it’s even more special because it was so unexpected and one of those things we all fantasize about at some point in our lives. Shock is something so many people love and being able to bring it back for all to enjoy is why I started Night Dive.

The “System Shock” series is very well-known for it´s awesome music.

Robin TGG
Will Greg LoPiccolo and Tim Ries make the music for “System Shock 1 Remastered”? Or do you have someone else in mind as the composer of the game?

We have an in-house composer, Jonathan Peros, working on the score though he is consulting with Greg, and I believe Tim on the music. We are taking the score in a new direction though the demand for some of the original music has been very strong!

Night Dive Studios would love to get a chance to make a “Deus Ex 1” remake. So, pick up the call Square Enix!

Robin TGG
Let´s say that Square Enix reached out to you and said that they would like you to make a remake of Warren Spector´s Deus Ex 1. Would you be interested in that?

Where do I sign?

Robin TGG
Is there anything else that you would like to add and say to our readers?

I’d like to say thank you to everyone who supports what we do, it’s a labor of love and the passion of a small yet dedicated group of people who go above and beyond to ensure that current and future generations will be able to enjoy their favorite games. We hope that by showing developers we still appreciate what they’ve done that they take the steps necessary to ensure gamers will be able to experience their creations for all time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NDS Stephen Kick talked about the remake at a recent TalkShoe interview: http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-130336/TS-1059564.mp3

http://shaneplays.com/system-shock-...e-night-dive-studios-on-fragments-of-silicon/

My buddy Adam over at Fragments of Silicon gave me a heads up that Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios was returning to their show and once again it was a good one with many interesting items and tidbits, not the least of which is System Shock Remastered and Turok 2.

It’s been several months since Night Dive’s last update to the FOScrew about what they are up to but the last post I did about it was very popular so I thought gamers frantic for retro game news goodness might like another one.

Note: You can listen to the audio here – Fragments of Silicon Season 5, Episode 14B

Enjoy the notes / recap!
Night Dive Studios has been very busy and they are now branching into territory of remastering games (going with source code, porting to new engines, creating new experiences, etc.) instead of just rereleasing classic games and applying emulators, etc.

Why System Shock Remastered?
With System Shock Remastered it could almost be considered developing an original game from the ground up.

System Shock Remastered came out of discussions with Paul Neurath (Otherside Entertainment, previously of Looking Glass Studios which developed the original System Shock games) and also Otherside’s announcement of their System Shock 3 game in addition to Underworld Ascendant. It felt like the right time to remake one of the previous System Shock games and they landed on the originalSystem Shock game.

For their previously released System Shock Enhanced Edition, Night Dive had worked with one of their contractors and prolific modders, Alex (last name?) from Brazil, who took the original System Shockgame and ported it into a Windows build that allowed features like mouse look, higher resolutions, wide screen support, etc.

That had a good reception but System Shock deserved a full modern treatment due to its status as one of the greatest games of all time. A team was assembled of industry veterans to make this happen.

After a couple of months of hard work, on the first day of GDC Night Dive released a demo video of pre-alpha System Shock Remasteredfootage and it was very popular with over 500K views in a matter of days.

This reinforced the decision to remake the entire game all the way with all new assets.

System-Shock-Remastered-screen-shot.jpg

System Shock Remastered screen shot

Shocking Kickstarter
Night Dive is launching a Kickstarter campaign in near future forSystem Shock Remastered that will have a lot of cool stuff for fans.

The Kickstarter campaign will be in 2016 but no other specifics are being offered right now. They are studying a lot of failed and successful campaigns (and also campaigns that funded but then are not delivering or are very delayed) to ensure the best crowdfunding campaign possible.

Stephen feels there is some consumer doubt in crowdfunding at the moment and he wants to make sure to quell that with the System Shock Remastered Kickstarter campaign, he wants supporters to be able to trust Night Dive 100%.

Stephen also feels that since he began researching Kickstarters their reputation has become more tarnished. He loves the idea of crowdfunding and wants to do it right.

System Shock Remastered’s Team & Tech
The pre-alpha demo looks so good because of the team talent, which consists of people that have worked on Planetside 2, Skyrim,Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, Star Trek Online, and the newer Tomb Raidergames. They also have Rob Waters, the original concept artist forSystem Shock and who also did the Freedom Force games andBioshock games.

System Shock remastered is being developed using the Unity engine. This has surprised some people who didn’t think Unity had the chops to do what Night Dive is doing with it. Stephen is very happy and impressed with Unity.

Team size is very small and fluctuates between 6-10 people. Everyone involved is talented and agile and are fans of the franchise.

They have been able to use a tool to extract a lot of the level geometry and all of the sprites and assets from the original game directly into Unity. The blueprint of the game is already in the engine and they just need to rebuild the game as they see fit. This allows for a smaller team and also is saving time and money.

Is This A New System Shock Story?
When asked if System Shock Remastered will be a 1:1 experience compared to the original game, Stephen said they are striving to make the original System Shock experience as authentic as possible.

Part of Rob Waters’s involvement is to make sure that areas that are enhanced meet the feel and experience of the original game. These are areas that in the original game were inconsequential and you wouldn’t spend much time in or pay much attention to.

For example, one room in the original game has a section with overgrown trees that has a cyborg that shoots at you and maybe has a med patch. They thought what would this area look like if it was a biodome and plants and vegetables, etc had been left unattended for six months. Some additional corpses in this area (dubbed the “Arboretum”) will also add to the narrative of the story.

The goal is to expand certain sections for new players but remain true to the overall atmosphere and story of the original game for the fans.

It’s Under Control
Tackling the famously kludgy controls from a specific time of the original System Shock was the first thing the team tackled because they knew it was the biggest issue to overcome.

Currently they have a hybrid system that is sort of a mix of traditional first person controls (you can just experience the world) and a robust inventory system (like “Bioshock 2 without the inventory Tetris“). You don’t have to manage where things go in your inventory. Inventory is all text based like the original System Shock.

Audience Feedback
The audience response to the pre-alpha demo and a trailer has been almost unanimously positive, which surprises Stephen because it is unusual for something released on the Internet.

The few negative responses have been along the lines of people wondering why the game is being developed in Unity, and also those who disagree with the original music soundtrack not being used.

The music issue has been the main contention. Stephen feels the original music doesn’t represent the tone of the game accurately. They want to make a horror / sci-fi / cyberpunk experience and the original music doesn’t capture that.

Stephen says that no changes are being made lightly.

There have been discussions within the team of possibly making a remastered version of the original soundtrack available as a Kickstarter stretch goal so player can switch soundtracks. The feeling is that the different soundtracks lead to almost two different games.

Planks In The Platform
Night Dive is approaching System Shock Remastered from a multi-platform perspective.

Their first priority and love is to make a perfect PC version of the game.

There are also plans to release a version for Xbox One.

The PC version will not be developed from a “dumbed down” console version. However you play on the PC, whether you use a controller or not, it will be the same experience. Mouse and keyboard will be natively developed for.

System Shock 3
System-Shock-3-Otherside-Entertainment-400x205.jpg

System Shock 3 is Otherside Entertainment’s baby. They have a lot of the original team and have the right talent to deliver what the fans expect.

Night Dive met with Paul Neurath and Warren Spector and others at GDC about System Shock 3 and Stephen is convinced it will be amazing.

Warren Spector was actually retired from video games and was doing academic work but has come back into the video game business just for System Shock 3.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Cool. It looks like very much a 1:1 remake, almost a reskin of original, and a very attractive too.
I'm not really a fan of doing the same shit over and over, it's barely if at all creative and exploits all the hard work of original devs for monetary gain, but it might offer a good counterpoint to modern garbage.

As for the controls, the best of both worlds would be allowing instant switching between control schemes with a keypress, like in SSportable - the original control scheme was awfully unwieldy and impractical for normal gameplay, but it was unparalleled when it came to tricky shots and grenade throwing.

If they are trying to stick to the original as much as possible, I don't get it why the original score wouldn't fit the game.
Because it didn't fit the original either?
:M
And I actually enjoyed the music in the sequel.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks like they're shooting facial profiles for all those logs that are in the game.

(INB4 someone loses their shit because their SS1 waifu got replaced.)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
SS1 music was great. No reason to replace any of it!
It had a strong cyberpunk style, which fit a cyberpunk game very well. Trying to sell SS1 as an SS2-style horror game is either mistaken or disingenuous. The horror elements were there, but they were neither particularly heavy nor particularly exclusive in comparison to the other ideas which had influenced the game.

DraQ

Arcane
SS1 music was great. No reason to replace any of it!
It had a strong cyberpunk style, which fit a cyberpunk game very well. Trying to sell SS1 as an SS2-style horror game is either mistaken or disingenuous. The horror elements were there, but they were neither particularly heavy nor particularly exclusive in comparison to the other ideas which had influenced the game.
SS1 with more emphasized existing horror themes would be a better SS1.
Pretty much the only major advantage SS2 has over SS1 is how hard it nails the atmosphere and yet I'm not sure if it isn't the better game of the two anyway despite being inferior pretty much across the board.

Severian Silk

SS1 was a lot more exciting and energetic than the ultra minimalist SS2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom