Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Explorerbc

Arcane
I tried to play the original but I can't stand it.

I'll be playing this one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am actually stoked for this.

Disable Depth of Field, kill the bloom, stare at Saturn's rings while SHODAN conquers Earth...it could be awesome.

Then again it could not. And even if it isn't, the original isn't going anywhere.

Win/Win for me.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So, not sure where to post this. There's this

Would spend good coin for a faithful remake. Nervous about the 're-imagined' verbiage. This seems to have much more of a horror type vibe which is decidedly not SS1's thing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, not sure where to post this. There's this
Would spend good coin for a faithful remake. Nervous about the 're-imagined' verbiage. This seems to have much more of a horror type vibe which is decidedly not SS1's thing.
Huh! Never played the first one. Tried more recently but it's too dated. I know, I know, I'm decline. This would be better than nothing, looks cool.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected.
Won't fap until it hits the late beta stage, though. Gotta beat the original right now anyway.

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant
They're doing the remaster for consoles. They said the console market is the future for them. Makes you excited doesn't it? Modern reimagining of a classic PC game - for console couch play. Looking forward to see how they "adapt" it. How they'll fit this

[ 1 MOVEMENT AND POSTURE ]

Since you must use the mouse, you only have one hand available for keyboard control; this should render the arrow keys or keypad impossible to play with, but there's mouse equivalents for every keyboard command.

S [KP8] [UP] -- Move Forward
X [KP2] [DOWN] -- Move Backward
Z [KP1] -- Move Left
C [KP3] -- Move Right
[SHIFT] -- Run
[SPACE] -- Jump

A [KP4]
-- Yaw Left
D [KP6] [RGHT] -- Yaw Right
[KP7] -- Yaw Left While Running Forward
[KP9] -- Yaw Right While Running Forward

Q -- Lean Left
W -- Cancel Lean
E -- Lean Right

R -- Pitch Up
F -- Center View
V -- Pitch Down

T -- Stand
G -- Crouch
B -- Prone

[ 2 MFD CONTROL ]

[BACKSPACE] -- Hide all MFDs
[PGUP] -- Center MFD: select next mode
[PGDN] -- Center MFD: select previous mode
Left MFD Controls
[F1] -- Weapon
[F2] -- Item
[F3] -- Automap
[F4] -- Target
[F5] -- Data
Right MFD Controls
[F6] -- Weapon
[F7] -- Item
[F8] -- Automap
[F9] -- Target
[F10] -- Data

[ 3 CYBERWARE CONTROL ]

Note that 1-5 correspond to the cyberware icons along the left side of the HUD, and 6-0 to the ones along the right.

1 -- Biological Systems Monitor
2 -- HUD Control (toggles fullscreen)
3 -- Sensaround Multi-View System
4 -- Light
5 -- Shield
6 -- Infravision
7 -- Navigation and Mapping Unit (toggles compass)
8 -- Multimedia Reader
9 -- Boost
0 -- Jumpjets

[ 4 MISCELLANEOUS ]

[TAB] -- Next Weapon
[SHIFT]+[TAB] -- Previous Weapon
[ENTER] -- Fire (KP_ENTER does nothing, though)
P [PAUSE] -- Pause
[ALT]+H -- Toggle in-game help
? -- abbreviated list of keyboard commands
[ALT]+V -- Toggle fullscreen (as [2])
[CTRL]+H -- change HUD color scheme
[ESC] -- In-game Menu
[CTRL]+S -- Save Menu
[CTRL]+L -- Load Menu
[ALT]+X -- Exit (works in main menu as well)
[F11] -- Increase Gamma
[F12] -- Decrease Gamma

[ 5 CYBERSPACE ]

W [KP8] -- Pitch Up
X [KP2] -- Pitch Down
A -- Yaw Left
[KP4] -- Yaw Left (very slowly)
D -- Yaw Right
[KP6] -- Yaw Left (very slowly)

[KP7] -- Pitch Up + Yaw Left
[KP9] -- Pitch Up + Yaw Right
[KP1] -- Pitch Down + Yaw Left
[KP3] -- Pitch Down + Yaw Right

Q C -- Roll CCW
E Z -- Roll CW
S [KP5] -- Accelerate

[TAB] -- Switch between DRILL and PULSER software
[ENTER] -- "Fire" software​

into this

nintendo-nes-pad.jpg

Maybe they'll do a Deus Ex Conspiracy twist. Remove three quarters of the gameplay systems and call it modernised​

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I grabbed System Shock Portable Freeware before they taken it down (to sell it for bucks) and beside taking notes (in case I come back next week or so, no good journal) I found it totally playable. Sure, body control is too precise and there is no (A)wesome button to stick to the walls but that's not a problem for me.
There is no salvation for spoiled people with melted brians....

tormund

Arcane
Here's hoping that talk about "contemporary sensibilities", "modern standards"... is meant to attract the kind of people that usually read Polygon and RPS, and nothing more than that. That gameplay doesn't look half bad, if we ignore Xbox 360 grade postprocessing and their attempt to emulate Bioshock's music (which is probably also meant to bait that same audience, together with talk about how Dead Space was one of their "inspirations").

I just hope that they won't forget about their promise to release SS1 source code to public. Modern source port with a potential for modding could negate possible failure of this remake, but I have a bad feeling that they'll go quiet about the source and that they will never release it in the end.

There is no salvation for spoiled people with melted brians....
I mentioned this before, I played SS1 for the first time YEARS after I played SS2, and on a related note I only played Ultima Underwold games a couple of years ago.
There is really no excuse NOT to play those game if you're interested in them or enjoy various games that were influenced by them.

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm curious what they plan to do with the music. It was one of the reasons why SS1 didn't really have a horror atmosphere, let's see if they stick with reimagined versions of the old tracks or if they're gonna use generic sci-fi horror music.

Space Insect

Arcane
I figure that hopefully they do what they did with the version of system shock they put on steam and gog. Just have both control schemes, modern and original, and then be able to switch between them easily.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New soundrack is inevitable shit coming though their digestive system. Where the inspiration will come from? From these horror fodder titles, that sell well because famous youtubers scream low pitch voice while playing it? No, it's for consoles but I can't remember any horror title (like Silent Hill) where music was worth being inspiration.
Would be cool to hear something inspired by Quake1 in it (I played it with the trailer and it was nice combination) but I'm afraid that person responsible for soundtrack in this remake might find my post confusing because his version of the game (from the only proper game shop these days called Steam All hail Lord Gaben) does not have any music. Welp.

And the whole levels looks weird. Part of me being spoiled by "modern design" and how modern players might (and will) feel it?

I mentioned this before, I played SS1 for the first time YEARS after I played SS2, and on a related note I only played Ultima Underwold games a couple of years ago.
There is really no excuse NOT to play those game if you're interested in them or enjoy various games that were influenced by them.

That's sounds just like me, also played UU somewhere past 2010 and find it totally playable and enjoyable. Still fascinating that more advanced UU got less praises than Doom, which I never liked due limitations (movement, options and whatever).

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm honestly more interested in Ken's new game than the SS remake, at least he's not just retreading old ground.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/shocker-night-dive-partners-with-nicholas-sparks/

Night Dive is excited to finally announce a project long in the making. We’ve always known the System Shock universe is rich for the mining.

We also know we are lacking a presence in the romance eBook world. With System Shock in one hand, and the talents of Nicholas Sparks in the other, we have finally overcome that hurdle and can announce the first title in the “Shodan in Love” series of novellas.

Nicholas said, “None of my characters are rich or famous, and the situations they find themselves in could happen to anyone.

new.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom