Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The inconsistent style/mood of the music in SS2 is because it was composed by two people: the quieter ambient tracks were written by Ramin Djawadi (who later did Iron Man, Pacific Rim, Game of Thrones, etc.), the fast techno tracks (that don't really fit the creepy atmosphere of the game) were made by Josh Randall.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...65c27b50c7b7&p=1587919&viewfull=1#post1587919

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ops 2 was a great track that sounds sort of sad. It fits that part in any "survival horror"-themed game where your character becomes strong enough that you can afford to stand back and contemplate the tragedy of what happened to this place. The Executive level track is SS1's version of this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Somehow this is one of the most memorable parts of my childhood, this song:

When I was watching my brother play SS I was too scared most of the time. I remember there's this one floor where you leave the elevator and there's literally 20 hybrids right out of the doors, and the floor is covered with body parts.
All I remember is this elevator music.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I remember experiencing a sensory overload when I stepped into Med/Sci the first time. Polito/SHODAN nagging me about elevators, Delacroix bitching about Xerxes singing like The King, Xerxes boasting about the Many, the Many begging me to kill them, all while thumping hardcore techno is playing in the background.
I guess Med/Sci 1 would have been used more properly if it were used only once when you enter Med/Sci, as it does create that SHIT'S FUCKED BRO feeling like being chased by a swarm of zombies or something, but when you revisit Med/Sci the song just feels out of place.

Maybe the hardcore techno songs were made with high-AGI Mach 10 characters in mind. The DnB in Engineering was alot more fun when cruising through the mazes like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

tumblr_n0cpp9fflP1sia4voo1_400.gif
dancenigga.gif

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When I *finally* played and finished System Shock a few years ago (which is a fucking AWESOME game, period), I just wasn't really all that impressed with the music. Compared to say, Gabriel Knight, Ultima VII, Ultima VIII, Lands of Lore, and Quest for Glory etc...., the soundtrack pales in comparison.

But as I stated specifically, MOST of the music was quite meh. But there ARE quite a few really good tracks, as already posted above, those were pretty good. And I also played it with an actual Sound Canvas too.

Also the intro ROCKS. Here is what it sounds like with an actual Sound Canvas <3 <3 <3

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jaesun, since you do all that sound stuff, can you do the Daggerfall soundtrack the way it's meant to be heard - with a Roland MT-32? I know you have one, you goddamn nerd.
(♥ If I had the space and were gonna stay in Germany for good, my apartment would be stuffed with C64 machines, Amigas and all kinds of doohickeys.)

(I am surprised you did Veil of Darkness. That's one of the games I thought I was the only one to have ever played.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun, since you do all that sound stuff, can you do the Daggerfall soundtrack the way it's meant to be heard - with a Roland MT-32? I know you have one, you goddamn nerd.
(♥ If I had the space and were gonna stay in Germany for good, my apartment would be stuffed with C64 machines, Amigas and all kinds of doohickeys.)

(I am surprised you did Veil of Darkness. That's one of the games I thought I was the only one to have ever played.)

From what I remember Daggerfall was written for the Sound Canvas. It *does* have an MT-32 option, but the music for the Sound Canvas is VASTLY superior.

When I do recordings, I take them directly from the game, as they are played in game. I am not much of a fan of real-time games, so Daggerfall is unfortunately way way down on my list, sorry.

And what few tunes I did record for Veil of Darkness (for the MT-32) was pretty cool. Interestingly, a number of songs in Veil of Darkness sound BETTER with the Soundblaster though. Like the "swamp" area music like shit on the mt-32, but the Soundblaster version of it is really nice.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I didn't know that. the MT 32 sounded so much better than the SB, so I assumed it was written for that. If the Sound Canvas is even better...
Gah, I need to get one of those. I -really- love some Daggerfall songs, like square and snowing.

Cerulean

Cipher
All the music posted here is tempting me to play SS2 again, even though I know I don't have the time. :argh:

lemon-lime

Educated
Seeing that SS1 intro again gives me memories, especially the music. I even see the DOS prompt in my imagination and typing SSHOCK.EXE to start the game. That was more than 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I was an early adopter of the floppy disk version. Would I have known about the CD version, I would have waited for that. The idea of having different difficulty settings for different aspects of the game was especially nice.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Oh, I didn't know that. the MT 32 sounded so much better than the SB, so I assumed it was written for that. If the Sound Canvas is even better...
Gah, I need to get one of those. I -really- love some Daggerfall songs, like square and snowing.

Definitely pick up a Sound Canvas if you get a chance! Very worthwhile to have if you play a lot of DOS games, and Daggerfall in particular sounds amazing on it:

(Courtesy of Jaesun)

On topic, I really like this track from SS1:

Kontra

Educated
The worst thing is how hectic it was...

How on earth does this fit as ambient music to sneaking around a desolated spaceship?

That one reminds me of Resident Evil theme

Its kinda similar. RE one is better though, it really has this evil vibe. Hydro track is just way way too fast. Maybe if it was slower.

edit
You know it would be cool if Paul WS Anderson did a System Shock movie. He did Event Horizon so he has some experience there. He could cast Milla Jovovich as SHODAN and get Marilyn Manson to do the soundtrack. It would be great.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes, that's "Snowing" or "Snow_B" -- I can't remember, Daggerfall song names were confusing.
It's one of my favorites and I am glad the fellow linked it because I looked through your videos and though I found the Daggerfall ones, I wasn't sure what MIDI0027 stood for.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Ultra top secret System Shock remake?

three_delite (Satoshi Arakawa) is a Senior Character Artist at Daybreak Games (former SOE, and Kick worked at SOE as a character artist.). He's right now sculpting an FPS arms model: http://www.twitch.tv/taco_wednesday

edit:

Cp4LWbW.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
G-greetings insect, have you c-come sssseeking the light?

Doesn't look so offensive but still so unecessary. Sad to see people just cannibalizing work of others instead of making even a slight creative effort.

Athelas

Arcane
This looks like it's attempting to be survival horror in tone/atmosphere, which System Shock wasn't - at all.

They did do a remarkable job of recreating the original aesthetic, albeit with a lot of post-processing effects on top of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom