Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Syndicate-likes

Trithne

Erudite
Have there been any games recently, or even semi-recently, by which I mean more recent than 1995 or so, in the vein of Syndicate/Wars and other games like it? I recall there being heaps in the early 90s, although I'm hard pressed to remember any titles, and I'm pretty pissed it's all but become a dead genre. So, given I like Syndicate, suggestions? Turn-based, Real-time, RTwP, whatever.

Also, would Syndicate have been a better game had it been turn-based? Discuss, discuss!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Ah Syndicate Wars, that sure brings back memories (I played Syndicate only after that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrruSboN1bQ That intro is still to this day so damn wicked!

And I always loved the voices when selecting weapons: Electron Mace! Minigun! Cerberus IFF!

Similar voices should really be mandatory for every game with weapon selections, I never got tired of them. :D

Off-hand I can't name any at least relatively new games that'd be similar, though... Starbreeze is supposed to be doing a remake/sequel, but who knows now with EA reshaping their business.

Destroid

Arcane
Darwinia has a similar control system for your main squad of guys, although that is really where the similarities end.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
maybe you'll like commandos and that wild west rip-off version

A user named cat

Apparently Starbreeze Studios are making a new Syndicate game, with EA publishing and it'll be cross platform. Yes that doesn't sound too hopeful but Starbreeze are more than capable of something decent.

Trithne

Erudite
I never really tried commandos, I should rectify that.

Darwinia was fun for a while, and so was multiwinia, but yeah, it's really nothing similar.

I knew EA was up to something along those lines, but that doesn't fill me with hope.

Destroid

Arcane
Commandos really doesn't play at all like syndicate anyway, although still pretty fun and can be very hard (although years since I played it).

relootz

Scholar
I dont think there are any games that resemble syndicate, just replay it. I tested it not too long ago and it works perfectly with dosbox.

Slobbergoat

Novice
You can play Syndicate like a real-time-with-pause game if you use the hotkey, but you can't issue commands or change drug levels in pause so it's kind of lame. Is pretty necessary for the shit-tastic American Revolt scenarios though.

Anyway, Depends on how close to Syndicate you mean - some games like Jagged Alliance 1/Games/2 and Silent Storm 2/Sentinels/whatever are arguably similar, just turn based. Silent Storm has destructable buildings like Wars but is strictly inferior to JA in every other regard.

No other games I know of have had a Persuadatron though; which is kind of ass since it's a pretty original weapon/tool.

Trithne

Erudite
Yeah, I played Gender Wars back then too. It was a pretty popular genre for a while.

relootz

Scholar
Phantasmal said:
Apparently Starbreeze Studios are making a new Syndicate game, with EA publishing and it'll be cross platform. Yes that doesn't sound too hopeful but Starbreeze are more than capable of something decent.

The first, codenamed Project RedLime, is said to be a "reinvention" of the Syndicate franchise published by Electronic Arts

:rage:

sah

Liturgist
Jesus, I think I played Gender Wars back in 1996. That's 14 years almost, unbelievable.

Zeus

Cipher
Weird, check this out: FreeSynd. I haven't heard of this before, but found it just now while poking around for the Syndicate box art (because I'm too lazy to scan the copy on my shelf). Woefully incomplete, but a neat idea nonetheless.

FreeSynd is a cross-platform, GPLed reimplementation of the classic Bullfrog game, Syndicate.

9Vli7.jpg

http://freesynd.sourceforge.net/

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
relootz said:
Phantasmal said:

The first, codenamed Project RedLime, is said to be a "reinvention" of the Syndicate franchise published by Electronic Arts

:rage:
KURWA!!!!!

Zeus

Cipher
Phantasmal said:

3wXVR.jpg

eklektyk

Erudite
[Cunning]It will be a GREAT game and sell millions of copies! :evil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom