Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Syberia 3

Longshanks

Augur
Hmm, I've never played any of the Siberias. Lumped it in with TLJ, which was OK, but had some elements which really annoyed me (less than great puzzles; long, dull conversations; shitty, hip female protagonist). After finishing TLJ and TLJ2 I wasn't ready to play anything else like it for a while, so avoided Siberia initially then never got back to it. Enough time has passed now, I might give the original a shot.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Syberia is the most boring adventure game I've played, at least as far as relatively high-profile ones are concerned.

I didn't like TLJ much either, the puzzles and writing were too terrible, but it is a masterpiece compared to Syberia.

Longshanks

Augur
Syberia is the most boring adventure game I've played, at least as far as relatively high-profile ones are concerned.

I didn't like TLJ much either, the puzzles and writing were too terrible, but it is a masterpiece compared to Syberia.
Might rethink picking it up then. Pathologic and AOD are taking my time for the moment anyway.

Explorerbc

Arcane
They are great games with superb atmosphere and soundtrack, like most of the stuff Benoit Sokal does.

Just buy them, they are 1.5 euros ffs

Longshanks

Augur
They are great games with superb atmosphere and soundtrack, like most of the stuff Benoit Sokal does.

Just buy them, they are 1.5 euros ffs
Not concerned about the cost, just deciding whether they're worth setting aside time for.

I'll likely buy the first one and at least start on it if I ever have some time to kill.

Boleskine

Arcane
Video of gameplay/cinematics from Syberia III:

Same thing but with footage from first two games at the beginning:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Coming on December 1st + some early impressions: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...of-kate-walkers-new-journey-in-syberia-3.aspx

Though the game was still very much a work-in-progress with placeholder voice acting, the visuals were impressive. The character models and environments were detailed, and the contrast in the world gave it a distinct beauty. As you open drawers, you can even interact with items individually and move them within the drawer independently – a step above what many adventure games do in simply allowing you to highlight an object and examine it.

As the demo progressed, I saw conversation trees that can affect details in the story, and environmental puzzles like an electrical box that required you to find a knife to pop open the cover before you hot-wired it to make the device work. One puzzle that looked particularly fun came when we attempted to fit a Kraken-shaped key into a corresponding keyhole. In order to get it to work, we needed to rotate each of the tentacles individually to match the silhouette portrayed by the keyhole.

As Kate finally left through the facility's doors, she was thwarted by a locked gate. Someone was clearly trying to keep Kate within those walls. The demo ended with another puzzle involving opening a door which led to a sewer system that allowed Kate to stealthily escape. Though my demo took place entirely inside the walls of the facility, Syberia 3 will feature many locales, cities, and outdoor areas.

Syberia 3 is currently scheduled to release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac on December 1.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Benoit Sokal looks like real art fag, so no wonder these games have such an unique and great atmosphere. Just give us some proper puzzles and I'm in.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's a bloody miracle this is being made at all and without a Kikestarter at that. Sokal is a persistent fellow.

Though last game I played of his, Paradise, was p. terrible.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I hope that it's cinematic heavy only on beginning and some specific spots, otherwise it won't really compare well to 'classic' adventure games. And how are the conversations, telltale style?

Keshik

Arcane
Didn't really dig the weird surreal settings in 1 and 2, but it wasn't too bad from what I recall.

Boleskine

Arcane
0:58

We went for a far more cinematic experience with a lot of effects...

:rpgcodex:

I do trust Sokal to make a pretty good game. The first two games had a good mix of inventory and logic puzzles, so aside from things like "click and drag objects around in a drawer" in that video I think the puzzle formula won't change too much.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
With all recognition that the the protagonist is named "Walker," the only way I could ever possibly play this game is if you moved two to three times as fast as in the prior games. There was some decent puzzle design and some amazing setting work that was all undone by padding via ping-pong structure and slow walk speed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ugh, I just realized this is going to be OMG! 3D!!!111 Expectations now set to -0 :M

In before horribly clunky waking and terrible puzzles....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom