Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Just a gentle nudge: Helly I just need an initiative roll for Ker. Notifications haven't been working for me on this thread the last few days, so I figured maybe the same might be happening for you.

Order:
Werewolves, Townsfolk, Brule, Urash & Ker (simultaneous)
Rhenmyr
Borric, Cormac, Mab (simultaneous)
Marcán

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Syelle Ru's bodyguard, armed with their spears and shields, stand shoulder to shoulder with their spears levelled and show no signs of fear or of moving. They have effectively blocked the gate for now. Behind them Syelle Ru's chanting and gesticulating reaches a fever pitch.

Spells (and counterspells) can be declared now and any movement or missiles can be accomplished before melee attacks ensue.

The nearest townfolk are scattering save for about three young men and the elder Gorma who pulls a dagger from his belt as he starts to shout, "Rally to me! To arms! to me!" his words carry across the causeway where some of the men and women are running, a handful (6 from the looks of things) pull up short, quickly confer and reverse their retreat with daggers drawn (they will be able to attack next round).

The three men around Gorma (the two gate guards and another who looks like a younger version of the Elder) hurl themselves at Talorc's bodyguards with reckless abandon in an attempt to break their ranks.
The four bodyguards strike first because of their reach. guards' spear attacks vs townsfolk [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21, [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22, [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22, [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11 bodyguards' spear damage [1d8] = 6, [1d8] = 3, [1d8] = 7, [1d8] = 3
One of the guard's falls, run-through with a spear, as well as the Elder Gorma. The other guard and young man at Gorma's side are both speared. However all four get in a blow despite their wounds (mortal or otherwise)
Guards, Gorma and his son attack [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6, [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8, [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 19. The young man stabs one of the bodyguards visciously in the shoulder drawing forth a stream of blood.

Brule wastes no time and rushes forward with the spear of Ulfheonar into the middle of the fray: Brule's charge [1d20+6] = 15+6 = 21, Damage [1d6+5] = 5+5 = 10 and inflicts a terrible wound on the same bodyguard already injured just moments before.

Post your actions and I'll resolve them in the proper order

L'ennui

Magister
Urash will take a few steps back and exhort the villagers:

"Men of Crannogmére, remember the tales of your fathers! Now is the time for bravery and glory! This monster has tricked us all long enough! Death to the wolf! Death to the wolf!"

Out of curiosity, he will also take out the strange black orb he had found at the pool. He will hold it out before him, pointing at the wolf-thing.

"Let's hope this does something..."
he whispers into his beard.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán, injured, continues to chant his warrior epic, this time in his best form of pict. Attempting to rally the townsfolk.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

nikolokolus

Arcane
Let me know if I should have rolled for new HP for level three. I think I saw something about getting back to civilization. I HOPE I get the better rating on the to hit table, regargless.

Muttering under his breath about collateral damage, Rhenmyr lets two arrows fly at the chanting werewolf.
To hit: [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14, Damage (arrow): [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
To hit: [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10, Damage (arrow): [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
IF you guys survive and get a chance to rest and recover that's when levelling up will occur.
Rhenmyr's first arrow strikes true, but the second goes astray (roll your 50% chance that it targets somebody else. Roll to-hit again if indicated.)

nikolokolus

Arcane
The second arrow soars over Syelle's head *thunking* loudly in the timbers of an adjacent building.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait I had a chance to rest, so did I level up?

Borric maneuvers to to get close to the nearest bodyguard, and closes in to prevent the guard from using his spear in close quarters.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Wait I had a chance to rest, so did I level up?

Borric maneuvers to to get close to the nearest bodyguard, and closes in to prevent the guard from using his spear in close quarters.
It's not just a "rest." To gain a level involves getting to some kind of safe haven and having the chance to reflect on all of your experiences over the course of a few days, i.e. when danger has passed and the "chapter" has closed on the current adventure.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric hefts his maul and moves in on one of the spear-wielding bodyguards, trying to force him to break ranks.
ERYFKRAD I wish we were playing Magic World/Stormbringer because the maneuver you outlined is completely covered in the combat rules for that game. Alas, in D&D land this isn't quite covered by the rules. So . . . I'm going to make something up on the spot. We'll go with this because I can't think of anything better:
Roll "to-hit." Whatever you roll becomes the saving throw target your opponent needs to pass to keep proper distance with his spear so he can still attack without breaking ranks.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Borric hefts his maul and moves in on one of the spear-wielding bodyguards, trying to force him to break ranks.
ERYFKRAD I wish we were playing Magic World/Stormbringer because the maneuver you outlined is completely covered in the combat rules for that game. Alas, in D&D land this isn't quite covered by the rules. So . . . I'm going to make something up on the spot. We'll go with this because I can't think of anything better:
Roll "to-hit." Whatever you roll becomes the saving throw target your opponent needs to pass to keep proper distance with his spear so he can still attack without breaking ranks.
That's why I like the Mighty deed of arms in DCC a lot :)

nikolokolus

Arcane
That's why I like the Mighty deed of arms in DCC a lot :)

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I figured I should ask. Are people still satisfied with Swords & Wizardry as a ruleset? I ask because the further we get into it, I'm finding "ye olde D&D" is turning into rather a bad fit for this particular campaign at times (FYI, I'm not sure DCC RPG would be a great fit either).

I say this because in my bi-monthly game I've been running the aforementioned Magic World -- basically the old Stormbringer game without the Elric references -- and it has proved to be a much more natural fit. Anyway, I don't necessarily want to scuttle the campaign and start over, but I figued it wouldn't hurt to take the temperature and get some feedback from you guys.

I'll start a private message with all of you guys and open up a discussion there and expand on some of my thoughts. So don't worry about discussing this here.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac follows Borric towards the fight.

If they have spears, it doesn't sound Like I'll be able to get a chance to stab anyone. If Borric's maneuver works, then Cormac will attack as I am waiting for Borric to do something. And a fumble!
Attack with Arawn Hilt Dagger [1d20] = 1 Damage [1d4] = 3
Spears don't prevent an attack, it just means they get first strike when they are in closed ranks like this. If you get hit you can still attack.

Cormac follows Borric towards the fight.

If they have spears, it doesn't sound Like I'll be able to get a chance to stab anyone. If Borric's maneuver works, then Cormac will attack as I am waiting for Borric to do something. And a fumble!
Attack with Arawn Hilt Dagger [1d20] = 1 Damage [1d4] = 3
Spears don't prevent an attack, it just means they get first strike when they are in closed ranks like this. If you get hit you can still attack.

Looks like Cormac fumbled then.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Roll a saving throw to see if you can avoid any calamitous effects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom