Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"A thought just occurred to me. Could those lights I saw earlier have something to do with the vision?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Lights? First I'm hearing of them. What happened?" And to Brule, "I know you want to finish things with things with Talorc, but consider a more cautious approach. We don't want to be exhausted when we face him and his wolf-men."

Wayward Son

"Last night, during my watch, I saw many lights wandering through the forest. I woke Brule and told him of it, but they went away, so we dismissed them as insignificant. However, with the addition of these visions Cormac had, I'm beginning to think that they are more significant than they first appeared."

Rhenmyr had the visions, Cormac just slept through the nightmare of a wet bedroll. Damnit, I even got it wrong! Marcan will experience his own nightmare when he returns to town.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hmm. The visions would have been coming to me in the cave then, so it could be connected. But, I'm not sure what it means. There was also a third vision regarding the item we were sent to retrieve. A green man had it. He was at a huge oak growing in a large crater. None of the visions had wandering lights."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Lights? First I'm hearing of them. What happened?" And to Brule, "I know you want to finish things with things with Talorc, but consider a more cautious approach. We don't want to be exhausted when we face him and his wolf-men."
Brule scowls and nods wordlessly before turning and facing the lake in the distance.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"We can discuss it more after we purge Crannogmere of the false king and his 'men'" Rhenmyr sets off toward the village at a reasonable pace.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The path down the hillside is easy walking and an hour or so later you are within a mile of the village. Life seems to be proceeding apace normally; herdsmen tend goats, fishermen are in their boats out on the lake and people mill around the gate where two warriors stand guard. It doesn't appear that anyone has seen you descend from the hills. It is just before midday.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Pict-friend, ready the spear of the wolf-slayer and hold where all can see, it may help in proving our words."

"Now, have we plans in mind, or are we to walk in and see where that takes us?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Let's make as much noise as possible so that people gather from the village and its surroundings, like with Marcan singing the praises of the Pict that killed the wolf; the chief won't be able to do anything in public. Whoever wants to wield the Wolf spear can also take my Lion shield, he'll need to look as resplendent as possible to gain the people's trust.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"I agree with Ker, Brule should wield the spear and shield. The people love a local hero, and better to sway their opinion. I can "recount" the story, I still have my lungs intact thankfully. But, I wouldn't force you to lie if you don't want to Brule. Just remember that a leader is nothing without his subjects. If he feels threatened enough to attack you outright, better the people see his treachery out in the open."

"Do we want to go now? Or wait till evening when we are a bit more difficult to identify? That way we can get to Talorc without alerting a bunch of guards."

Upon hearing Ker and Marcan, Cormac shrugs.

"Or we can just bang on a bunch of pots and pans until we get a large greeting party."

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Right now, in broad daylight. It's midday so people will be resting, not working and have a better chance of coming to see us. It's that or waiting nighttime and taking him treacherously by surprise."

Wayward Son

"I agree that Brule should be the one to wield the spear. However, we may want to be ready for a large conflict, just in case..."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule hefts the spear and looks at it uncertainly, "Well, what now friends? I'm not one for speeches, but maybe they'll stay their hand long enough to hear us out."

Wayward Son

"Just tell what has happened Brule. If they do not listen, then... Well, improvisation is a lost art my friend."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Yes. Tell it like it happened. Mab and Marcán can back you up with words. We will all be ready if things get violent."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"I don't think I'll really be able to fight at the moment, but I suppose telling the truth would be wisest in the long run. I was hoping for some more theatrics, but perhaps that won't be necessary."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule takes a deep breath, blows out his fire-red moustaches and starts marching over the marshy grasses that line the lake shore. It only take about 5 minutes before people can be seen pointing and distant muffled shouts rise from the excited and perhaps confused onlookers. The village gate becomes a buzzing hive of activity as people start to file out onto the causeway that connects the village to the land and a minute or two after that two men on shaggy ponies can be seen galloping towards you with spears tips glinting in the bright spring sunshine.

Brule stops his determined stride and puts his legs about shoulder width apart, holds his shield close to his body and plants the butt of the spear into the soft turf, looking every bit the part of an impassive, defiant sentinel.

A black-bearded man with a conical bronze helm and a shirt of bronze scales arrives first and pulls his horse up to a stop not more than 30 feet from your group, the other man arrives several seconds later and stops a bit furhter off, he is clean-shaved and boyish and is less heavily armored but no less bold.

"Brule?!" The bearded man shouts incredulously, "Have you lost all sense? Turn and run while you still can. In honor of your father, I'll lie and tell Talorc you're simple vagabonds. Uvan's slave Rashid just came back the other day and said you lot had killed all of his men. They're forming a warband to hunt you down."

Brule doesn't immediately reply, nor does he move. Then suddenly, after long tense moment, he rears back and heaves the wolf-spear high into the air so it lands not a dozen feet from the bearded man on horseback, point-down into the soft verge where it quivers. Brule practically snarls, "Druisten, Tell that craven whoreson to come out and face us. This is Dubh Sleagh, the spear of Ulfheonar Wolf-Slayer, which my boon companions and I have recovered and used to slay the Blaidd Mawr and banish him back to Hell." He pauses for effect, "Talorc has betrayed us, committed sins against the gods and must now answer for his crimes; judged by the rightful representative of High Drune Maelgwyn." He points backward to Mab.

The man's eyes go a little wide as he wheels his horse 360 degrees and circles the black spear sticking point-down in the ground. "Maelgwyn? I thought he was dead?" He stops moving for a second and looks Mab up and down and regards him warily. "Very well, but I don't think Talorc is going to like this much." He then lashes his reins and kicks his horse into a gallop and the young man follows after him kicking up large chunks of sod as the go.

Brule walks forward and pulls the spear out of the ground and wipes the mud from the point, before looking at Mab, "Sorry to put you on the spot like that. With any luck we'll get an audience with the Elders now. After that . . . we'll see."

He turns and begins striding toward the gate.

Wayward Son

"Bloody hell. Well, let's go. This is the most official position I've ever been in." Mab grins knowingly at Brule.

"Hopefully, Maelgwyn doesn't offer me up to the altar now..." Mab whispers to Ker.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Does anybody want to do anything between here and the 10 minute walk to the gate, or should I proceed? You don't have to answer the question, just post whatever it is you want to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom