Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule appears ready to go and looks back to see if anyone is following him.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The path through the swamp is faint and frequently interrupted by flooded pools, sinkholes, quick-mud and thick brambles. Thankfully the heavy mist doesn't obscure your vision and Mab, Ker and Rhenmyr all prove to be capable navigators.

After an hour of slogging through the cold, fetid morass, you come upon a chilling site. A ring of spikes topped with weathered human and animal skulls surrounds a slightly uplifted patch of ground. In the center of the ring is a slab of rough-cut granite. There are coins, bits of jade, cornelian and opal scattered on the slab and black stains that look like old blood mar its surface.

"If the blood is that color, it probably hasn't been used in a while. I wonder what deity or being they were sacrificing to? Whatever it was, those coins and stones would be better off in service to Arwan."

nikolokolus

Arcane
When Cormac approaches the slab, he buckles slightly and swoons. A deep seated sensation of "wrongness" pervades the space around the altar and repulses you.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
As an aside, there are certain things that happen to clerics (and paladins) of different ethoses in (un)holy places. Casting spells is impossible without a saving throw, but you can also use your turn-undead ability to profane/consecrate a place that is antithetical to you (or restore a place holy to you). I'll throw that in the house rules document for future reference. This doesn't apply to druidic (and bardic) spells and abilities.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sounds like something I will do. What do I need to roll to attempt to "consecrate" this altar?
Use 'turn undead' from page 42-43 from the rules. Roll 2d10 and I'll let you know what happens. FYI, there can be negative consequences for failure, but if you succeed you get bonus XP.

FYI, since you carry a relic holy to Arawn, you get +2 to your turn check

Cormac turns towards the altar once again after fully regaining his bearings. "I can't let something like this stand in place." Cormac pulls the dagger from his belt and raises his hands into the air. "I call upon the great Arawn! Please hear your loyal servant and remove the fell power from this altar. An altar that is an affront to you, and to those who follow your teachings."

Turn Undead [2d10+2] = 8+2 = 10

:killit:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac makes a great display of rebuking the altar and the unhallowed ground by holding forth the strange dagger found in the cave and chanting a littany. Unfortunately, a concussive wave of unseen force warps the air around Cormac and knocks him back almost a dozen feet through the air (roll a saving throw Llywelyn ap Gruffydd)

Mab peers through the gloomy predawn looking for any imminent threats, but sees nothing.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash rushes to help Cormac even as he is flung into the air.

"That's not an altar to any God worth naming, friend.That's not an altar at all, in fact. Come on, best be on our way."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Please, I don't think we have the manpower to combat multiple unholy beings." Marcán muses.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac's saving throw [1d20] = 16 vs. 12

Cormac looks a little dazed and stunned but rises with a little help from Urash no worse for wear.

The journey through the swamp from the altar is a bit easier going and after another hour of trudging you can sense the ground rising and growing a little drier and without warning you round a bend in the path and the dense trees and undergrowth give way, revealing the steep hills and moors above Crannogmere and Lake Oerni. The morning sun hangs low in the sky and a light mist clings to the hillside as the trail back to the village lays before you.

7tEIi4x.jpg

With any luck, you should be able to reach the lake shore and village before midday.

Brule seems quite single-minded to get back to the village and is marching at a pace that some find impossible to sustain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom