Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
But not quite as fast as announced. I was just at Paris Games Week and some player feedback still needs to be addressed. It'll be a couple weeks late give or take. It needs an easy to use starter guide, a few bug fixes and I'd like to finish localizing in French.

I'm also editing a player video taken on the booth. It's pretty nice. Kids playing and enjoying it. But that means lots of faces to blur for legal reasons.

I'm late again :(

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But not quite as fast as announced. I was just at Paris Games Week and some player feedback still needs to be addressed. It'll be a couple weeks late give or take. It needs an easy to use starter guide, a few bug fixes and I'd like to finish localizing in French.

I'm also editing a player video taken on the booth. It's pretty nice. Kids playing and enjoying it. But that means lots of faces to blur for legal reasons.

I'm late again :(

Here's a recipe for success for you Charles:

1. Say there's 17 micro issues to fix
2. Spend the days playing an unrelated action game
3. Rebuke naysayers with off-topic rambling about congoid butt-sex machete rape squads
4. ???????????????????
5. PROFIT!!!

It needs an easy to use starter guide

The slippery slope towards an 'Awesome' button continues......

Press 'X' to eviscerate 17 Bandits!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Easy to use starter guide, commie. Because it isn't easy to get into. These kids need to be properly educated :obviously:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But... These kids won't read text!
It was nice meeting you at the PGW (btw, I would like a way to see anyone's character sheet at any time during combat, not just the main character. Your assistant told me it was not possible). Good luck with the launch. I'll definitely grab a copy of the definitive edition (and I'm glad I didn't have enough time to play the non definitive one much!).

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
But... These kids won't read text!
It was nice meeting you at the PGW (btw, I would like a way to see anyone's character sheet at any time during combat, not just the main character. Your assistant told me it was not possible). Good luck with the launch. I'll definitely grab a copy of the definitive edition (and I'm glad I didn't have enough time to play the non definitive one much!).

Actually they do read text. That's kind of what was surprising. Of course many also just walked away but a surprising number got into it.

Thanks for stopping by! I noted your comment. I know there was a reason I limited that....

RuySan

Augur
It looks great. I still remember when you introduced the first game in these forums and it was mostly (somewhat deserving considering how it looked) made fun of. How far this game has come.

I hope it's released on gog.

Alchemist

Arcane
And... bought! Happy to support turn-based blobber incline, so I'm not waiting for a Steam sale or bundle. Going to play this during Christmas vacation most likely.

Mustawd

Bought a ton of new stuff lately, so my bi-weekly hobby funds are dry. Will probably buy this in a couple of weeks. Great job Charles-cgr

Alchemist

Arcane
Played for about 40 minutes so far and I'm enjoying it! Just messing around with the default party to get acquainted with the game first. I like the tactical options of combat. For example, enemy archers are smart and properly pull back from melee. Good stuff!

Mustawd

Jay Barnson, aka Rampant Coyote, aka dev of Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon, posted about this game on his blog. Pretty good summary:

For those who remember the original – and the graphically updated “Gold” edition – this is a ground-up rewrite of the game using an engine planned for the sequel. If you played the earlier versions, this thing is… well, it is very familiar, but comparing them side-by-side is a night-and-day difference. The game system is changed, and is far more streamlined. The UI is vastly improved. The world, while still based on a grid, shows smooth 3D transitions as you move and turn. It supports high resolution full-screen. There’s new stuff across the board. So while it retains the storyline and overall feel of the original, it’s in many ways a completely new game. In effect, a full remake.

If you aren’t familiar with the original… well, consider this a brand new game.

What is it? I guess you could say that it started out as a fan-made love-letter to Might & Magic 1: The Secrets of the Inner Sanctum, and has since evolved into its own thing. Which is as it should be. After all, that was how Might & Magic started, too… a primarily solo effort to build on well-loved CRPGs in other series that went off in its own direction. The original release perhaps adhered too closely to the style of its inspiration, down to the clunky interface and programmer art, not to mention problems arising from the old version of Game Maker Studio. However, while a little clumsy at times, it also shared the benefits of its pedigree, capturing the flavor and fun that was just as captivating now as it was back in the late 1980s.

With the Definitive Edition, Swords and Sorcery: Underworld has fully come into its own. The Might & Magic spiritual ancestry leaves its mark on some of the level design, the class types, and the turn-based combat flow. The most noteworthy mechanic borrowed from the classic series is that player characters injured to zero health are first knocked unconscious (and can recover easily with standard heal spells) rather than killed. If they are subsequently damaged, then they are truly rendered dead … truly but temporarily in a world of major magical restorations. From there, the game marches off in its own direction, primarily in terms of graphics (bearing the heroic comic-book styles of the illustrator), sense of humor, and combat tactics.

CaveTrolls-650x366.jpg

Combat is where the game system really shines. While it is abstracted in a similar style to other group-based first-person perspective turn-based RPGs, there are plenty of details and combat options to keep things interesting. Sometimes, due to luck or just being in over the party’s head, death just comes early and arbitrarily. But other times, the difference between a seemingly easy victory and a complete wipe-out (or a very costly victory requiring a return to the surface and maybe a visit to the temple for resurrections) is smart application of relative positioning, timing, and combat options.

Much to my joy, the rogue is a key class in any party build. The rogue’s ability to deal a devastating sneak attack, or to stun an opponent (even a boss) is absolutely invaluable in many fights. Archers, a little more optional, have some devastating multi-target attacks at higher levels which can be great at helping clear out lower-level minions or the leftovers from the sorcerer’s area-effect attacks.

The minions things is a big deal. With a combination of the knock-out mechanic and creatures with devastating attacks that can often deal more than a character’s hit point total in a single shot, large groups of enemies with multiple attacks are extra dangerous. With a single enemy dealing one attack per turn, no matter how damaging, you can keep reviving characters each turn to prevent anyone from dying. But with multiple attacks, enemy groups can knock out and kill a character in one sequence – a major setback even at higher levels.

Monsters are rarely limited to straightforward attacks and defenses, either. Even at the lowest levels, players will encounter enemies that summon others, explode for small amounts of damage to multiple party members, rangers that fade back outside of melee range to pelt the party with arrows, and so forth. Facing a new enemy is always makes me wonder when I saved last, because I may be unpleasantly surprised with some ability that I am not prepared to defend against.

The humor is less overt than, say, Frayed Knights. But its there. There are plenty of little in-jokes for gamers, particularly other role-playing games. Pictured below is my obvious favorite. Should I take offense that it’s like the most useless shield in the game?

FKShield-650x366.jpg

Some of the most interesting and amusing tidbits can be gathered via the mind-reading spell, which displays a creature’s stats and a little paragraph about their background. This can provide valuable insight, or sometimes just a bit of amusement.

I never finished playing the game in its earlier incarnations, an oversight I’ve been trying to remedy over the last week or so. However, this game is not small. While it may not be a 100+ hour behemoth like some games, but it’s going to take you dozens of hours. But as you can save anywhere (outside of combat, which usually doesn’t last long) and make some real progress in only a few minutes of play, it works well for a grown-up lifestyle.

If you are a fan of old-school CRPGs and would like to play something “like, but different” from the party-based classics of the Wizardry / Bard’s Tale / Ultima / Might & Magic style, I recommend checking it out.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I told Charles I was going to d1p this...

...but then I remembered I'd just blown $35 on the 13th Age Bundle of Holding :oops:.
Luckily pay day comes in 2 days:smug:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I told Charles I was going to d1p this...

...but then I remembered I'd just blown $35 on the 13th Age Bundle of Holding :oops:.
Luckily pay day comes in 2 days:smug:

I couldn't even figure out what D1P meant :oops:

It's late .

No worries udm it'll still be there. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom