Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Repressed Homosexual
Great Might and Magic clone (in spite of the shitty polish and out of place enemy renders). However, it takes like 4 whole minutes for the initial loading on my m11x. WTF? Makes starting up the game very annoying.

Luzur

Good Sir
maybe you could post some pics for us that never heard of this game.

EDIT: ignore my request, i remember the game now.

Repressed Homosexual
combat_mummy.jpg

castfirstaid.jpg

automap.jpg

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Sorry for the load time. I've been reworking it for a good while now, as well as a few other things. Next version will load a lot faster.

Unfortunately I've been seriously delayed by real-life things. It'll come out though.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
The usage of Comic Sans font in the menu descriptions is some kind of inside joke? recursive irony? What is this I don't even!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I think it has a nice semi cursive effect that fits the game well. First complaint on that front...

Deneidez

Educated
Looks like someone has poser with some daz3d models and props(I hope you have bought those, if not there can be some trouble.). :)

Is GUI supposed to look like in old games at cost of usability? Currently its illogical and quite cumbersome(just like in some old games, especially console games).

Well, however its nice to see new indie stuff.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Scorpioo, you'll find the link in my sig. Yes Deneidez, all the art is 100% legitimate. How is the GUI illogical?

Deneidez

Educated
Charles-cgr said:
Scorpioo, you'll find the link in my sig. Yes Deneidez, all the art is 100% legitimate. How is the GUI illogical?
Well, first of all its all over the screen. It would be better to group them and give them own area somewhere depending what they do. Most used options should be the easiest ones to find. Less steps to do something is better. For example with arrow keys there is four ways to go and if there is no need for new window one should not make one. Good example is casting on own chars. You already have character list. All you need is popup that says on which character you want to cast spell etc. etc.

Do you have access to acm and/or ieee? There is some nice articles about making better gui(Just search for Graphical user interface).

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I see what you mean now. It lost some of its logic when I enabled the mouse (v1 was keyboard only). From the beginning it was meant to be very close to MM1 / MM2 (not the console versions), and it remained that way despite other improvements.

I'm not going to gut the game though. I should finish the sequel sometime next year and one of the planned improvements is definitely a more advanced GUI.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I bought it and played a little bit..havent had time to play it more thoroughly yet.

Not the best looking game, but anyone who can finish a full blown indy RPG has my respect. :salute:

Plus, I love the early Might & Magics and Bard's Tale games.

Repressed Homosexual
OK I'll just wait for the next version to complete the rest. Keep up the good work.

I do agree I'd like to see a mouse driven interface. I like dungeon crawlers, but inventory management based around constant keyboard presses isn't something I miss from that era. :P

About the font, it's functional but I guess it just adds to the amateurish look of the game, seeing as it looks as something a kid would write on a chalkboard. I think the interface for the next game should look as sleek as possible in order not to turn some people away.

I had a very hard time in the catacombs of the first town, what with all these undead creatures who can only be harmed by magic and blessed fighters. Not only that, the only spells that really harm them are dependent on consumables, either runes or holy water.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Charles-cgr said:
I see what you mean now. It lost some of its logic when I enabled the mouse (v1 was keyboard only). From the beginning it was meant to be very close to MM1 / MM2 (not the console versions), and it remained that way despite other improvements.

I'm not going to gut the game though. I should finish the sequel sometime next year and one of the planned improvements is definitely a more advanced GUI.

Glad to hear your making a sequel :salute:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Yes the catacombs are a bit tough. Choosing the most appropriate targets makes a difference and there's a piece of loot in there somewhere that'll make it all much easier ;)

HHR, you can use the mouse - just click on say, (P)ack or (E)quip and it works just as the hotkeys would.

Progress has been slow lately for the final version. This is due to personal reasons (family health issues).

Deinedez, sorry I don't see what you mean by ieee or acm... I overlooked that previously.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Hopefully with experience stacking up future work will look less amateurish :)

Deneidez

Educated
Charles-cgr said:
Deinedez, sorry I don't see what you mean by ieee or acm... I overlooked that previously.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Hopefully with experience stacking up future work will look less amateurish :)

Acm and ieee have large archives of scientific papers/research papers about computer science.

http://www.acm.org
http://www.ieee.org
(Dunno is there any fees to use those. I use only univ comps/connection to access them.)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I remember reading about it on RPGWatch. I'm not really into M&M-type games but it looks... well it looks simple, but also like it could be a bit fun.

Here's a +1 on the Comic sans comment by the way. The only thing that can pull comic sans off and get away with it is the Simpsons logo.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I just read an article on acm about making interfaces adaptive. A bit out of my league for now :)

There's free access to some material apparently, a free account option that helps adapt access to material to the user, and membership subscriptions beyond that.

I'll try reading a few more and see.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
OK something tells me I'll be looking into alternate fonts too... Or maybe a new Halloween Homer boss...

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Is there an online store, besides the developer's web page were I can purchase the game? It seems that Pirate Bay doesn't have it yet.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I haven't submitted to online stores. Concerning the piracy site something I think is priceless in their FAQ:

I thought the software was free. Why am I being asked to pay?
The software is free. You are paying for the online help and support and the online tutorials for the lifetime of the membership.

Two hundred million people gave these people money? Wow.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That's surprising for me as well... I googled the phrase and it seems common to FAQs all over the internet.

I bought this one. An enjoyable game for those who enjoyed this CRPG sub genre many years ago, or for those who have tried Might and Magic's, Wizardries, etc lately and found they enjoyed them.

Stabwound

Arcane
I remember the very first thread about this game on here. Looks like you've done a lot of work on the GUI, etc, looks a lot better.

I do however agree that it would look much better with a different font, though. I think it would make it look a lot more "professional" in a way, and I don't mean that as an insult. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom