Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Swords and Sorcery: Underworld Definitive Edition Released

covr

Prophet
Patron
Charles-cgr, you have probably heard this like thousand times before, but you should really employ some guy who could help you with the art. I mean, overall with art: UI, graphic design, fonts, backgrounds, etc. Like Elhoim helped with Age of Decadence. Because right now game is even painful to watch, not mentioned playing it. That trailer showed that your general ability to make something visually tasteful is really limited. Which is sad because the game might actually be really good.
I know that Codex might be in love in games like this, but right now the truth is that every graphical element of the game is below average of some amateur mod for crpg or rpgmaker game. Some of them, even after 5 years after upgrading, are just shameful to show: like the background for text. Of something that look like "comic sans" as font. Or dozens of different things.
I know that you have improved your game in the last years. But it's still not enough, the first impression is killing your game and it will kill Sovereign. You have probably spent hundreds of hours trying to fix the visual side of the game. And it is definitely better than in 2010. But I am sure that someone even semi-professional with only a small part of that time, could make the game much better, easier to watch, easier to start and buy.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Charles-cgr, you have probably heard this like thousand times before, but you should really employ some guy who could help you with the art. I mean, overall with art: UI, graphic design, fonts, backgrounds, etc. Like Elhoim helped with Age of Decadence. Because right now game is even painful to watch, not mentioned playing it. That trailer showed that your general ability to make something visually tasteful is really limited. Which is sad because the game might actually be really good.
I know that Codex might be in love in games like this, but right now the truth is that every graphical element of the game is below average of some amateur mod for crpg or rpgmaker game. Some of them, even after 5 years after upgrading, are just shameful to show: like the background for text. Of something that look like "comic sans" as font. Or dozens of different things.
I know that you have improved your game in the last years. But it's still not enough, the first impression is killing your game and it will kill Sovereign. You have probably spent hundreds of hours trying to fix the visual side of the game. And it is definitely better than in 2010. But I am sure that someone even semi-professional with only a small part of that time, could make the game much better, easier to watch, easier to start and buy.

Thanks for the honest feedback. Maybe I'll find that artist, but the one that did the art is a pro comics illustrator. Maybe it's in the engine limitations. Or my general layout skills. No time to reconsider it now though. Maybe More updates in the future.

Just noticed a codex one :)

The game just received an update, but not sure what was fixed?

Turning the music off and default was set on ZQSD instead of WASD. Small but annoying things.

Edit - Oh and slight nerfing of the vigilante, prankster and drake. I caved.

AbounI I looked but didn't find them...

Last edited:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
His bomb could knock out 3 party members at the start of the fight. Just toned down the bomb a bit.

Actually the drake was rather easy since it could only hit once per round and there's healing but it took a bit of time to kill so I lowered the number of HP. Same with the vigilante, although also lowered armor and strength.

Electryon

Savant
Purchased Gold a few weeks ago and got my email promptly as soon Definitive came out. Thanks a bunch. No idea when this'll come up in my hundreds long back catalog, but your game seemed worthy of adding to the collection.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Purchased Gold a few weeks ago and got my email promptly as soon Definitive came out. Thanks a bunch. No idea when this'll come up in my hundreds long back catalog, but your game seemed worthy of adding to the collection.
Thank you!

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
at least the dungeon art/design looks so horrible, noone will try to draw the obligatory Grimrock comparision any other dungeon crawler has to face these days

that beeing said, it wont hold me from maybe trying it out if the rest is wel done.
(character development, quests, atmosphere, story)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
How complex is the story?

Underworld story sets the stage for Sovereign's but isn't very fleshed out. It helps to read the "books" you find along the way. Don't expect a novel, but localizing it took a lot of time. There are a few dozen pages back to back. (Sorry I overlooked your post)

at least the dungeon art/design looks so horrible, noone will try to draw the obligatory Grimrock comparision any other dungeon crawler has to face these days

that beeing said, it wont hold me from maybe trying it out if the rest is wel done.
(character development, quests, atmosphere, story)

That really depends on your standards. Character development and story are fairly basic, but not nearly as barebones as one could expect for a MM1-2 "clone". There's quite a bit of text as mentionned above. I focused mostly on the combat but there's a bit of everything else as well.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I also received the e-mail for the upgrade based on owning the earlier (earliest) version.

But I just purchased a new copy of the Definitive Edition because I want to support development of Sovereign.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I also received the e-mail for the upgrade based on owning the earlier (earliest) version.

But I just purchased a new copy of the Definitive Edition because I want to support development of Sovereign.

Thank you! It's very kind. :)

Now I have to make it awesome. The pressure.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Thanks for the honest feedback. Maybe I'll find that artist, but the one that did the art is a pro comics illustrator. Maybe it's in the engine limitations. Or my general layout skills. No time to reconsider it now though. Maybe More updates in the future.
The illustrations are fine, the problem is with other things. The art is stretched to a wrong aspect ratio in many places. Nearly everything seems to be scaled with nearest-neighbor which butchers the art. The UI in general looks sloppy, with poorly chosen spacing, fonts and colors. covr is probably right in that you should find someone to help you out with this.

Mustawd

I'll have to fire up my copy tonight and check out if all the graphic whores are right or wrong.

Mustawd

Looking at it now. Yeah, the stretch is obvious, but it's not a huge deal. Glad you're fixing it.

One piece of feedback in my 10 seconds of play: Either make the text boxes less transparent or make the text easier to read. Right now it's a small distraction, but noticeable.

swords_sorc.jpg

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
All out of scale fullscreen images replaced. I'm not saying it looks good. After i sleep a bit I might be able to tell :)

Mustawd

Mustawd Image link is broken but I'll look at the transparency again thx

Hmm, try this?

swordsampsorc_zpsp0tlor0e.png

For me it's a bit too busy with all the text and the scene behind it. Just hard to read. It's not a huge deal, but thought it useful to give feedback.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I updated the alpha setting since :)

edit - or not... apparently it didn't apply to the intro

Cazzeris

What a shitty review. The reviewer only says superficial stuff about the game, its quality and its features, without ever telling anything in-depth like a proper review should.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom