Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sword of Aragon

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone remember this old SSI game?
It was a turn based fantasy war game with RPG elements and tacical battles. It was also quite hard core, so people tended to either love it or hate it. Personally I liked it, but it didn't grab me as much as the Gold Box games or later turn based fantasy war games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders.

Anyway, it's hard to find much useful info on this game, except for reviews. Some of the reviewers complained about the manual; that it lacks much information and some of it is downright incorrect:

My only problem with SWORD OF ARAGON is the manual. A large amount of important information is either glossed over or just plain missing. For example, there are
no tables showing which equipment combinations are possible for a given type of
unit. Instead there is this suggestion: "Experiment with various armor and
weapon combinations to discover which weapon types work together." Not very
helpful, considering there are over 100 conceivable equipment combinations for
infantry alone! The Charge and Overrun options are barely mentioned in the
manual, and the rules for firing missile weapons over different types of terrain
are not mentioned at all. Also missing from the manual is an index, which a game
with as many features as SWORD requires. All of this makes SWORD harder to play
than it should be.

Any experts on the game who can shed som light on this?

I've tried to find any fan sites, but no luck. I haven't even been able to find a manual for the Amiga version (guess I have to do som digging at my parents' house and see if I can find the box there). But I found an updated online game using the same basic mechanics by the old developers - http://aragon-online.net
They want to update the old game to a proper Windows version with better graphics, UI and AI, but sadly the rights to the game is now owned by Hasbro.

I had a TON of fun with this game many moons ago, but I don't remember much that could help you. Sad to hear that there likely won't be a remake/sequel.

The lack of obvious solutions and "best" combinations was one of the best features. You had to just play it and figure that shit out for yourself, but doing so was fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
not an artichoke said:
I had a TON of fun with this game many moons ago, but I don't remember much that could help you. Sad to hear that there likely won't be a remake/sequel.

The lack of obvious solutions and "best" combinations was one of the best features. You had to just play it and figure that shit out for yourself, but doing so was fun.

Yes, there is lots of figuring out in this game. I barely remember anything from my first playthrough 20+ years ago, but experimenting with different weapons and armour combos is kinda fun. But figuring out which rules apply to enemies is not so fun. I met some Giant infantry, but they don't act like infantry, but like artillery. They can obviosuly hit my troops with something at a very long range.

Also, the AI is rather lame. I had about 30-40 each of Bowmen, Infantry and Cavalry, supported by about 100 Elven allies and attacked a town with 200 Infantry and 100 Cavalry, just to try it. I hadn't really expected to succeed with those odds.
The sensible thing for the computer to do would be to hide all troops behind the walls and hold the cavarly in reserve untill I got closer with my own troops. Instead the computer rushes out its cavalry against my troops, so I entrenched them in the mountains. Next round the enemy cavalry do heavy damage, but so do my guys. With the enemy cavarly dispersed it's safe to approach the city and with the defenders having no bowmen I can place my own bowmen at a safe distance and with the help of the elven bowmen whittle down the enemy untill I can quit the battle and get a Marginal Victory.

Apparantly there is a version 1.1 with improved AI, but it was never released. :(

mondblut

Arcane
octavius said:
But I found an updated online game using the same basic mechanics by the old developers - http://aragon-online.net
They want to update the old game to a proper Windows version with better graphics, UI and AI, but sadly the rights to the game is now owned by Hasbro.

Ouch! I am off to try it!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:necro:

octavius , This is two years too late, but CRPG Addict is playing this game now, here, and really seems to like it after initial reservations: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/07/game-107-sword-of-aragon-1989.html

So much so that I am considering giving the game a try, myself. I guess it makes his requirements to be considered an CRPG. It plays as if you have a party, but instead it's an army that is behind you. The addict brought up a good point with this.

"...I've received a selection of standard RPG-style quests--kill a monster, rescue a child, find some treasure--but instead of setting out to complete them as a lone hero, I have a company of cavalry and a battalion of bowmen at my back. One frankly wonders why more RPG protagonists don't try this route. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar--Accompanied by the 9th Mounted Legion and Space Rogue and His Fleet of Mercenary Ships...."

One of the users has a similar handle as yourself here and suggested he start with the ranger class. Was that you?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One of the users has a similar handle as yourself here and suggested he start with the ranger class. Was that you?

Yup, I always use the handle PetrusOctavianus elsewhere.
I recommend giving the game a try. Knight, Warrior and Ranger are all good classes to start with, while Cleric and Mage are for experienced players. I remember really enjoying the game back in my Amiga games, but I remember few details from the actual campaign.
Would have loved to see SoA remade with better interface and better AI, or more games in the same vein.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm thinking of doing a Let's Play of this game, but with a Codexian crew to act as a military advisory council. Since you have to create a lot of heroes to win, this should give everyone a character to play. This post is basically to gauge interest in the idea. Whether I do the Let's Play or not, I am going to write a review of the game for Tacticular Cancer.

octavius and commie are you in?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sounds interesting. My gaming interest is at its lowest in many years, though, so I'm not sure how much I can contribute. When you live in a shithole where it rains 300+ days a year and the temperature rarely exceeds 20 degrees C it would be a shame to sit inside when there finally is a long period (two months and counting) of mostly nice, warm weather.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Wont let me enter past PetrusOctavianu as referrer. How did this game not get more traction on rpgcodex? It looks like the best MMO4X. Edit; I now know how it did not get more traction

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom