Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Sword of Aragon with a Codexian War Council

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
sword_303.png

So remember all the talk of the nomad cheiftain who was building forces in the south? I was expecting to fight him, but instead he became an ally. "An ambassaor is received from the nomadic tribes to the south. He says 'The Jantri Khali has been proclaimed the Supreme Ruler of all the Khalikha, and speaks for all the clans in all things. If you will ally yourself wih the Jantri Khali, he will protect your army when it crosses his lands!'" I accept, as this reminds me of when the Khwarezmid Empire pissed off Genghis Khan when he sent them envoys. I woudn't want to deal with an invasion from the south when we are occupied with the east.

sword_304.png

sword_305.png

Also, we get into a couple of quick, unremarkable skirmish with some orcs, which in turn leads us to gaining two warriors called Dayyalu and RK47! The first is a volunteer and the second has been pressed into service.

sword_306.png

sword_307.png

sword_308.png

Most of these skirmishes occurred after the winter months were over, as we pushed our forces south from Paritan and towards the goblin city of Gernok. "Your force is met by a very large group of goblins. In addition, your scouts have sighted hundreds more on all sides! Additionally, several monsters have been sighted in the distance!" This battle would be the largest and most difficult I had fought to date, and I only won after employing guerrilla tactics.

sword_309.png

sword_310.png

I need to describe the battlefield so that the events of this fight makes sense. First, we are against goblins and giant humanoid monsters, supported by goblin mages in the city itself. The important thing to note is that each of these have ranged attacks that they will stand-off to use, so you need to continually push your melee forces towards them to clear them off the field. Because there are hordes of goblins, this just means you are wiping out one line of goblins, just to put your forces into short range of the next lines missile weapons.

sword_311.png

sword_312.png

Also, the number of overall goblins we are facing is deceiving as it is only based upon those you can reasonably see. The thick trees hid many of the goblins as they approached our flank, and it appeared that the game also added reinforcements in later rounds.

sword_313.png

Finally, the battlefield itself has three north to south running creeks that approach the goblin city when they meet up to a west to east running river. Our forces started out at the most western creek and as we drove south we were continually harrassed by goblins and monsters coming out of the woods from our flanks. Our lead elements sometimes took multiple hits from enemies in the front and others shooting from small, narrow spaces in between forest hexes.

sword_314.png

sword_315.png

sword_316.png

sword_317.png

sword_318.png

So it was a slow slog coming south, but we were handling ourselves well up until we reached the end of the creek and hit the river. At that point we were exposed to wooded snipers, a strong wall of larger monsters mixed with goblin infantry, and came into long range of the goblin mages who hit us hard with fear and slow effects. This combination proved fatal to us and led to our army's quick destruction.

sword_319.png

sword_320.png

I reloaded the fight and tried again, this time driving east first to the center creek, destroying snipers in trees along the way. This also had the effect of dragging some of the city forces up north to block our advance. We did better in this fights, but again as we pushed a few hexes south the mages and leftover snipers were able to hit us through the less crowded gaps in the trees.

sword_321.png

sword_322.png

sword_323.png

sword_324.png

It was only after the third attempt that our army was successful. I had our forces stay close to the northern border and push directly east to the third creek. The enemy response was sluggish and disjointed, so our cavalry and knights enjoyed picking the goblin snipers off before they could hamper our advance. Finally, the enemy posted their array of forces to our southwest, blocking our advance towards their city but the tree cover between here and the city was excellent and stopped the enemy mages from hitting us, while the enemy was exposed to our archers for the first time.

sword_325.png

sword_326.png

sword_327.png

We decimated nearly a third of their forces without ever being effected by enemy magic. Once we whittled away the enemies exposed to our archers, we charged the remnants en masse with our infantry and cavalry forces. This led to us losing some men from snipers, it put us in range of being able to attack the city after two more turns. It never resulted in that, however, as the losses and low morale resulted in the goblins surrendering.

sword_328.png

"You have defeated the goblins of Gernok and captured the city! The Crown of the Westrealm has been rescued by Deuce, the rightful ruler of Aragon!" Supposedly, having this crown reduces random encounters in the west, but I still encountered some.

sword_329.png

After that, we took on the dragon, but that battle is quite short. In the first round the dragon rushes up to us, but lacks the movement points needed to breathe his quite devastating fire against us. The mages use fear and confusion spells on the dragon at first and bowmen plink at him. Then, we attack with a bunch of our infantry soldiers led by Overboard, Octavius, Jester, Eryfkrad, Elfberserker, Monstrous Bat, Desktop Commander, SCO and Dayyalu.

sword_330.png

sword_331.png

sword_332.png

sword_333.png

sword_334.png

sword_335.png

This force easily eliminates the threat, which was rich in both gold and experience points. We earn 72,000 experience points and nearly everyone gains a level. "You have defeated the dragon! Everyone hails you for your bravery and skill. Long live Deuce! You get 50 points!" With the gold acquired, I develop every category of every city and reinforce and train each city unit. When we won the battle at the goblin city it also revealed a road east that leads to Tetrada, the seat of the eastern empire.

sword_336.png

sword_337.png

Unfortunately our victory is short-lived. "Hundreds of goblins have returned to attack Gernok at night! ookouts report hundred are approaching from all sides." I only had the Paritan 1st Infantry and Garnak 1st Infantry against these forces. I had to retreat in the face of overwhelming odds, and just like that Gernok returned to goblin control and our new way east closed off.

sword_338.png

sword_339.png

sword_340.png

sword_341.png

sword_342.png

Also, so much for the power of the newly acquired crown. Sur Nova is attacked at night by giants, but I had developed two strong infantry companies and a bow unit to defend the city and they were more than enough to take out the giants. The trick against giants is to charge them right away instead of waiting for them to pelt your forces to death with thrown boulders. With that battle we get a second ranger, and thus Crooked Bee is pressed into service.

sword_344.png

sword_345.png

sword_346.png

sword_347.png

We now have some trolls to take out near Sur Nova. Along the way our army is also ambushed by goblins and trolls, but we are able to defeat their forces and continue towards the southwest. RK47 searches the area around Sur Nova and finds the troll village where the attacks originate. "Scouts report that there are at least 300 trolls here. They are on a plateau with steep hills surrounding. You have found Trollhome!"

sword_348.png

Some of our town developments in lumber piss off our elven allies. "Your logging expansion has caused the elves from the Tranavan forest to force a reduction. They have destroyed some of your buildings and equipment." To avoid pissing them off further we stop lumber development in our cities. After a few more skirmishes on the way towards Sur Nova we gain more fighting men, and thus RK47 and Jaesun are pressed into service.

sword_351.png

sword_352.png

Our Sur Nova army also scouts to the west and finds the cultists and demons we had heard about. Because our army will not accompany us, I leave them behind to finish the slow march to Sur Nova, then rush forward with all our hero units. Then we enter into the glade. "Scouts report an evil looking cursed place ahead--the signs of evil have terrified your men, but your heroes will accompany you!"

sword_353.png

sword_354.png

sword_355.png

The battle isn't that tough, but in order not to lose any men we have to come in from the south to enter just past the hills that would slow us. From here, the enemy magic is attacking from a long range. Then, I rush forward with my melee units while supporting with my mages casting Slow spells. If you hit units with enough Slow and XHaust effects, their spellcasters are unable to cast on their turns. Irenaeus, Eryfkrad, Monstrous Bat, Kashmir Slippers, SCO, Dayyalu, RK47 and Jaesun lead the charge, while the knights follow behind and stay ready to make a flank attack.

sword_356.png

sword_357.png

sword_358.png

As we get closer we have to spread our forces out in order to better avoid offensive magic that effects an entire stack of units. It is a charge led by Irenaeus, Kashmir Slippers and Jaesun that take out the first enemy priest. Eryfkrad, Monstrous Bat, SCO, Dayyalu, and RK47 take out the others plus the demon.

sword_361.png

"You have defeated the priests and demons! Long live Deuce! Many freed captives will happily join your victorious army!" We return to Sur Nova, reinforce some depleted units, and kill off some orcs that stupidly decide to invade Sur Nova while our heroes and main forces are all garrisoned there. After that easy battle, I realize Trollhome is too far away from us to attack and then return before winter starts. Our heroes rest up early and will wait until March to attack Trollhome, then follow that with an attack on Zarnix. I am doing the write-up on part two of this update now, so next update will be pretty soon.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Lose a finger. Save the arm.
Garnok is merely a clip on the nail.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Huh. I wasn't expecting the dragon fight to be so fast.

Well, I guess it's the same as in the Goldbox games: everybody dies to the dragon's breath, unless you can kill it in one round.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is part two of my latest update. We had just taken out an army of goblins and defeated a dragon. We also took out a cabal of mages and a demon west of Sur Nova. Bedding down for the winter, events proceeded as we reconstituted our forces. We saw things such as flooding through the territories and surging population growth.

sword_363.png

What's worse, we aren't the only ones on the march. "Ominous News! (That would be a great name for a paper.) Lucinian's army has attacked and captured Estallah! The Emperor has said that the military incursion was requested by the Estallan ambassador to prevent a coup by the military. Sadly, an assassin then struck down the ruler of Estallah, Earl Landratoz. The Emperor installed his uncle, Count Tribunus, as the temporary governor of the city to 'fill the vacuum of power created by the tragic death of the ruler of Estallah.' There is no independent word from Estallah about the incident."

sword_364.png

The winter months do not stop the trolls from attacking us. In January a group of them come to Sur Nova and demand 2,000gp or have our city invaded. Since nearly the entirety of our heroes and forces are located at Sur Nova, I decide to take them on.

sword_365.png

sword_366.png

sword_367.png

sword_368.png

And that might have been a mistake. I place my characters down around Sur Nova and in Turn 1 an incredible amount of trolls bullrush against our forces before I can act to entrench. The trolls are accompanied by magic-using priests and mages, but they do not always use spells. The majority of their actions are spent in hand to hand combat. When I can act again, I entrench my front line, have the cavalry flank, and have the mages and bowman pick on the larger stacks of enemies.

sword_369.png

sword_370.png

sword_371.png

I'm glad I put some forces to the eastern part of the city. Some troll reinforcements appear and attempt to get passed to attack our archers and mages. In response I move our cavalry and infantry on the west flank forwards in an attempt to quickly wipe out the western enemies so they can swing back east before our eastern defenses collapse. I also take the time to lay down some Mud spells along the eastern side to slow down the troll envelopment. Note that the amount of trolls have increased from turn 1 to turn 2.

sword_372.png

sword_373.png

sword_374.png

sword_375.png

We finally win and gain some level ups for our characters, but we lose a large total of 50 men. Luckily the victory results in a surge of Sur Nova volunteers; 58 new recruits are more than enough to bring our military back to its original strength. "The hideous monsters that had terrorized Sur Nova have been beaten! You have defeated the trolls! Dozens of people flock to join your victorious army!"

sword_376.png

We also pressed a knight called Unkillable Cat into service. I thought that would have been the end to the troll attacks on Sur Nova, but I was wrong. When March came, and we left for the road east, trolls threatened to attack Sur Nova again and I paid up 2,000gp to avoid the attack.

sword_377.png

sword_378.png

sword_379.png

Since we didn't stop the attacks, we had no choice but to attack Trollhome. An interesting fact in regards to this battle. You might plan to organize your party to rush against the trolls to your east, but that would be a mistake, as a large group of troll reinforcements appears and strikes your southern flank. Not having some infantry to stop them is a bad thing. Unluckily for our cavalry, they absorbed the initial strikes as I had put them there for flanking without hero support and was unprepared for the attacks that crahsed into them.

sword_380.png

sword_381.png

sword_382.png

sword_383.png

sword_384.png

sword_385.png

Reorienting the forces did wonders, as we moved the archers and mages to the northwest, the cavalry to the east, and the infantry and heroes down south. By turn 8 we began to get the battle under control and were ready to hit the city proper. Just defending against the reinforcements had made this a tough fight. As tough as the Sur Nova battle. The trolls had low morale and were willing to surrender after turn 8. Our forces had been beaten up enough and we still had Zarnix to take on, so the surrender was accepted. "The hideous monsters that had terrorized Sur Nova will not return again! You have defeated the trolls! You get 25 points." I hope that ends troll attacks on Sur Nova. I can attest I haven't seen any since.

sword_386.png

sword_387.png

sword_388.png

We get in front of Zarnix, and I meant to take a screenshot of our army at the gates, but a special message interrupts. "Your forces are met by a HUGE group of orcs. The dwarves have been able to hold a large group of trolls that had been sighted coming up from behind you, so there is no threat from them. Additionally, there are many Xafantan dwarves coming to your aid from the northern mountains." The dwarves are seriously some awesome allies; even better so than the elves. They charge from the north into the orc forces before our own westerly units can close in. Since they also have ranged weapons, they may have been able to take the orcs on by themselves.

sword_389.png

sword_390.png

sword_391.png

sword_392.png

Just looking at the numbers tells you this battle was going to be a straight out slaughtering of some orcs. In just a few rounds we are told "You have defeated the advance guard to the pass! Now you may advance on the city of Zarnix."

sword_393.png

sword_394.png

We aren't able to take on Zarnix until the next month. "Your scouts report a large group of orcs in a fortress by the road. They are estimated at 1,000-2,000 strong. You have arrived at the heart of Zarnix!"

sword_395.png

sword_396.png

By the second round we've hurt the orcs, but they have stopped charging our positions. In fact, they wait patiently as we wipe out whole stacks of infantry with our three companies of bowmen, three mages casting arcane attacks, and my character's new Pyro spell. Pyro is a nifty magic spell which does a handful of hit points of damage to each unit connected to the hex it is placed in. A company of archers still do more damage to the average stack they are shooting into, but Pyro does small bits of damage to a wider area and is therefore much more useful when used against bunched enemy formations. Think of it like you would a generic fireball spell from other games.

sword_397.png

sword_398.png

After turn 3 the orcs still do not advance and my characters have to move a couple of tiles forward in order to maintain the barrage of arrows and magic into orc formations further down. The enemy behavior seems odd at first, but then coming closer allows me to see forces held up in the fortified enemy city and confirms a suspicion I had. There are several Zarnix mages in various entrenched locations behind the city walls. If I had charged thoughtlessly into the orc columns in an effort to drive them back, my forces would eventually closed next to these mages and been susceptible to multiple Pyro magic attacks.

sword_399.png

In fact, I ultimately have to charge in closer to wipe out the idle orc infantry units, leaving me vulnerable and we take our first casualties as the numerous enemy mages let loose. This charge was orchestrated only after we whittled down most of the orcs between us and the city, however, and on Turn 11 we are able to slip our cavalry inside the city and our bowmen get close enough, and we wipe out all but one of the mages. We don't have to worry about wiping out the last one, since that final push led the orcs to surrender. Despite the thousands of orc defenders trying to stop us, we only lost five men due to us predicting the ambush ahead of time and using the computer's tactics against it.

sword_400.png

sword_401.png

"You have defeated the orcs and captured Zarnix! The ancient pass in under your control! You get 20 points."

sword_402.png

The path east is now open, but since this is a monster town I am considering holding onto it while I send the cavalry forces along with our fast knights and rangers to investigate the unexplored roads in the south (east of Tentula) before winter comes. After this exploration, we can move forward and either move towards Pudawala or Lucedia.

NAME Lucedia
POPULATION 7,000
LOCATION Southeast coastal city
RESOURCES Good soil, the Dalation ocean, minerals
ECONOMY Farming, fishing, mining, trading
RULER Council of the Wise and Strong
Lucedia is a land of cool, green hills and plains. The name derives from the word elven word for "green". The weather is not conducive to most crops, but husbandry is successful here. The Baudom River flows from the Dersh to the north of Lucedia where it empties into the ocean.

Lucedia is governed by a hierarchy of Priests, the "Ancient Wise Ones," and the "Theocratic Order of Frahali Knights." Together they form the "Council of the Wise and Strong." Lucedians are intolerant of other beliefs and inhospitable to strangers. The two factions are also reliably said to be antagonistic to one another.

NAME The Free State of Pudawala
POPULATION 9,000
LOCATION East central coast
RESOURCES Dalation Ocean, minerals, good soil
ECONOMY Fishing, mining, farming
RULER El-Ikhom, Pasha

Pudawala is a small, resource rich city sandwiched between low hills and the Dalation. The hills are set with forests and scattered mineral deposits. Rich soils fill the coastal plain, where plant and animal life flourish.The Pudawalans are said to guard their independence zealously. They are said to be a strong and independent people who arose from the eastern nomads, survivors of the Three Catastrophes.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
We don't deal with zealots.
Pudawala...is worth colonizing. Let us show these Pudawalans how real governance works...
And teach them to play cricket, while you're at it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
El-Ikhum sounds like a turrurist name. We need to bring FREEDOM to their oil people.

Jester

Arbiter
Knight Jester opinion:
French+Taunter.jpg

Lucedia sound like place holding holly grail.
I play a valiant French hero who will do anything to make sure those bloody Avalonians dont soil that holly symbol with their unmanicured hands. I must vote for conquering holly land from those heathens to ensure French gentlemen's will take possession of said object. I and my brothers will be vigilant and steadfast and make sure that no Englishman will leave that castle untaunted.
montytaunting.jpg

Rest assured brothers god is with us, as well as ammunition livestock. We shall prevail.
b1590-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-1975.jpg

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
sword_403.png

It is July, and we have quite a few months left until winter starts, and a lot of unexplored territory still, so I spread out our military for exploration. A large force still guards the pass at Zarnix, but I send felipepe from Sur Nova down south along the main road towards Tentula. I plan for him to explore east of the city, then grab some of Tentula's forces and meet the main force at Zarnix. However, in between Sur Nova and Tentula he runs into two important encounters. The first is a demand to pay a toll by some nomads fighting against the Khali in which we are allied. "Some Khalikhan Horsemen are seen advancing toward your force. When they are within shouting distance, you hear: 'Only dogs could side with that mongrel, the one who is called the Jantri Khali! Pay for your stupidity with your lives or with 200gp!'"

sword_404.png

sword_405.png

sword_406.png

Since felipepe is alone, he pays up. A few more paces south, however, and he runs into some more horsemen. This time they are being attacked by several trolls and felipepe heroically leaps in to help. Since he is only 3rd level, felipepe can do little except join with the nomads being charged and entrench his position in order to help. He is wounded badly several times, but ultimately he helps save the horsemen.

sword_408.png

"After your battle with the trolls, the Khalikhan survivors reveal that they are rivals of your ally Jantri Khali. They tell you that since you have saved their lives, they are honor bound to make peace with you and all your allies. They promise to quit feuding with Jantri and make peace. Your rescue of the horsemen from the trolls has opened the door to the Jantri's dream: a united Khalikha!" We get 10 points for this action.

Meanwhile, the faster heroes go into the unexplored hills and woods northeast of Zarnix. I only picked party members who had the maximum movement point score of 25 so we can get this done quick and go campaigning.

sword_409.png

sword_410.png

My stumbling around with the heroes to the northeast of Zarnix results in an unexpected surprise as we find a glowing tablet in the middle of the woods. It appears only the main character can activate this event, which is funny since the only reason I am in the scouting party is because of my high movement rate. "As you approach the table you see a faint, blue glow surrounding it, even in the sunlight. No one else can see this effect. When you are close enough to see it clearly, you see writing on the face: 'Know ye that the Emperor's time is come: the True Heir has arrived at the Resting Place'".

sword_411.png

"You see a shadowy image appear above the tablet, slowly forming into the image of a man. At first you think it is your father, but no... You hear a voice: 'At long last, my child, you have regained part of the power and glory of our family's past. Now you must try to unite the two realms, the Westrealm of Aladda, the Eastrealm of Tetrada. To do this, you must find the other symbols of that union: the Crown and the Sceptre of the Realms!' The voice continues: 'Now, Deuce, you should have this small token to protect you from the evils which have swallowed the land! Behold the Amulet of Aladda!' Slowly the man's form dissolves, being replaced by the amulet lying on the tablet." So who was that man? It says it wasn't the ghost of my father, so it seems that it may have been the ghost of an ancestor. Right now we have the Crown, but lack the Sceptre.

sword_412.png

"When you touch the amulet, you can feel the power of its effect. You are compelled by its magic to wear it for as long as you shall live. You get 50 points." I can't take it off? Are you sure it isn't cursed?

sword_413.png

sword_414.png

In August, a drought stops us from moving troops because it results in attrition. Luckily, we are only moving hero scouts northeast that are more resilient due to their higher levels. In the south, felipepe gets to Tentula, but he can't move the armies east due to the drought so he instead travels east into unexplored lands alone. Meanwhile, our War Council has chosen Pudawala as our next target, but so has the ruler of Sothold, and so that city is on full alert. "Within the city of Pudawala, there are persistent rumors of war. Your spies have indicated that there is apprehension about the intentions of both Aladda and Sothold." And well there should be. With Sothold considering a move, it feels like we are both racing to claim Pudawala. Still, I decide to wait in case Pudawala seeks me as an ally. I send a cavalry force up to its gates to see if it triggers a special encounter and request for alliance, but it doesn't so the force returns.

sword_415.png

My northern scouting party finds a second elven city of Medeval. The elves are our allies in the west, and we know little of these to the east but we may be able to make friends later. With that we've explored the unknown lands between Pudawala and Brocada, so I have our scouting party head back south to Zarnix. In the south, felipepe accidentally runs into a city of giants and has to backpedal quickly. "Your force is met by a very large group of GIANTS. Your scouts report that they are going to be tough." Giants are tough due to their ability to throw boulders great distances. I am not looking forward to taking them on, but that city is the last threat we have west of Zarnix.

sword_416.png

sword_417.png

"There are several reports that Emperor Lucinian IV and Baron Strumberg of Sothold have fought several skirmishes along a disputed border. Although neither admits to instigating the attack, most suspect that Lucinian is at it again." I'm hoping that those two can keep each other busy long enough for us to take Pudawala. But first, it's time for some giant killing... right after winter.

But let's talk about the assassination attempt at Zarnix. "Your captain of the guard in Zarnix tells you that he has uncovered a conspiracy to assassinate you! Three culprits have been caught! You may
Execute or Imprison them, or Pardon them and have them followed at a cost of 250 gold, or Question them." Questioning them sounds like torture to me. We'll probably get more out of paying spies to track their movements.

sword_418.png

"You may send a scout to follow the men you pardoned, but he will need 250 gold to cover supplies and wages." Do it!

sword_419.png

Winter comes. "Your scout has followed the pardoned men to their hideout, resulting in the capture of a number of conspirators and their leader! Seized documents and confessions confirm that Lucinian IV of Tetrada was behind the ring (now crushed)." What is more, Lucinian seems to also be causing instability and protests in my cities now as morale starts suddenly becoming a problem. How come I can't send assassins and saboteurs?

sword_420.png

It is the month of November, and we have one more movement point remaining before we attack Char. We have to take the city before winter sets in next month or our forces will be caught out in the open. Note how the giant city of Char has no passage east of it to the other lands. Looks like this is our final threat before focusing on the east. Still it will be tough because giants...

sword_421.png

sword_422.png

sword_423.png

sword_424.png

sword_425.png

We start off west of the giant city. Both sides are obscured by trees and hills, making it so that neither of us can shoot at the other. I know if any of my forces get too close and break the tree line, however, the giants would all target that lead element. Crap, there are a lot of giants though. Our bow units walk up and down the tree line in an attempt to find gaps to shoot through. Meanwhile, I am the only mage that knows the Pyro spell, which I am able to use on giants I can see, the resulting fireball burning a stack of the enemy and stacks surrounding him. The other mages lack Pyro, so they settle on Fear and Confuse spells. These spells sometimes cause a giant unit from spitting south of the city and into the waiting force of the Tentula 1st Cavalry led by Overboard, Elfberserker, Destop Commander, and Crooked Bee.

sword_426.png

sword_427.png

Despite all this, we are not able to deplete the giants fast enough for a victory, so eventually we have to move the main force forward. Since the giants' ranged attacks damage an entire stack of forces we employ a tactic I've used at a small level before, but never applied to the entire army until now. Basically, our forces all split off from one another in order to avoid stacking and we approach the giants separately. As we are near melee combat, our forces stack and hit the giants in a combined charge. This leaves the new stacks vulnerable to counterattacks, but at least at first we minimize the damage.

sword_428.png

sword_429.png

sword_430.png

The tactic works for minimizing damage, but it was still costly. We lose 22 men and the knight Jester in the fighting. We have a priest volunteer to join us, and so Jester is reincarnated as a spellcaster. At first, I thought it was SCO who died again. :)

sword_431.png

sword_432.png

"After your conquest of the Char a sacred artifact is found, which once belonged to the priests of the Great Lake: The Wand of the Lake Goddess. The return of the Wand has caused some amazing changes to the area around Tentula! You get 10 points." I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds good.

sword_433.png

sword_434.png

My characters settle in at Char for the winter. We do beat off a giant attack easily from there, but otherwise it is uneventful besides news. "A merchant from Lucedia says that the areas around the city have been raided by the titans of Dersh!"

sword_435.png

We reap the rewards of @felipepe 's previous good deeds. "The great Jantri Khali has been successful in uniting the tribes of Khalikha! He says that he has you to thank for helping, and he sends gifts worth 5000gp!"

sword_436.png

We also get troubling news. "You have word that last summer Baron Strumberg of Sothold was defeated by the Imperial army of Tetrada. The emperor has installed his brother, Prince Malthorn, as the governor of Sothold. The ease of the Tetradan victory was apparently a complete surprise to all in Sothold. It is rumored that there are supernatural forces on the side of the Emperor Lucinian IV."

sword_437.png

We can't wait any longer. It is time to take Pudawala. Especially with the news that comes when winter is finally over. "A reliable scout reports that the ruler of Sothold, Prince Malthorn, has been rapidly expanding his army. It is said to number above 2,000 men." Our army heads to Zarnix, so it can then start its progression east.

sword_438.png

sword_439.png

"A spy in your service reports Lucedia has plans to make war on the titans of the Dersh!" Lucedia isn't in our sights right now, but maybe if we help against Dersh we can make them vassals.
It is May when we finally get everyone moving to Pudawala. Progress east is slow due to our lagging infantry. "A merchant from the east indicates that Malthorn is very interested in developing the economy of is realm for the benefit of his people."

sword_440.png

sword_441.png

sword_442.png

Then June: "A trapper from the heights of the Luftgar has reported that the people of Sothold are in terror of their new ruler, Prince Malthorn. He has been ruthless in maintaining his stranglehold on the city of Sothold. He reports further that Imperial troops are to be found in both Sothold and Estallah in strength." That is both excellent and disturbing intelligence. The forces in these cities seem huge in quality, though perhaps low in morale. Unrest continues to dominate in places like Paritan, and I half our tax rates which reverses the trend.

sword_443.png

sword_444.png

sword_445.png

The battle for Pudawala starts in June. "Scouts report that Pudawala is defended by about 500 infantry and 200 bowmen." We could take on such numbers, but they are also stacked with powerful mages and other heroes. We can't see the forces in their city surrounded by mountains, but when a scouting force of Kashmir Slippers, Eryfkrad, Monstrous Bat, SCO, Unkillable Cat and two infantry companies get closer they are burned without ever seeing the enemy. I pull them back and restore their health with Heal spells from Irenaeus and Kashmir Slippers.

sword_446.png

I lack further screenshots, but the remaining battle is relatively boring. An approach was out of the question unless I wanted to take massive casualties in taking the city. Instead I found out that Pyro could be used on a tile even if you can't make out the enemy. Since Pyro also has twice the range of a bow, I could stand out at the edge of the battle screen and roast the city alive. Also, because of my higher level my Pyro spell effected a radius of two tiles. Azira had gained a level from the last battle, and also used Pyro, although he had less a range and only effected a single hex radius. A summoned imp mage gave us a third spellcaster tossing Pyro into the city. The defenders held out just below 10% of their effectiveness, but the city finally fell without me having to use the cavalry units that were creeping along to the east. We literally firebombed the defenders into surrender, while we lost only one infantryman.

sword_447.png

sword_448.png

"You have defeated the forces of the (once) Free City of Pudawala!" Just in time, too. "A spy reports that he has good reason to believe that Malthorn will offer a treaty of peace and alliance towards Pudawala. He also believes that Emperor Lucinian IV is behind the move."

sword_449.png

sword_450.png

August comes and we hear some news from Lucedia. "You receive word that the ruling council of Lucedia is in conflict over how to deal with the increasing raids by the titans of the Dersh." I think we should go kill ourselves some titans.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Are all of the Emperor's family-held cities allied with him, or are they independent city states like all the others?

Dealing with the titans seems like the neighborly thing to do.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Time to kill giants!
O have heard a myth that they brew legendary titan beer, a beer that causes normal humanoids to be as powerful as titan.
:kwafuckyeah:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Kashmir, the Emperor's allies will send him reserves and he'll send them reserves when you attack. So it's a good idea to take out his allies before you go into the final battle against his capital.

I just finished the game and have about 63 pictures to upload and the narrative still to write. All I have to say is wow... what an awesome ending. The game pulled a fast one on us at the final battle and we fell into a bit of political intrigue that led to the murder of one of our war chiefs. Actually, we were sort of betrayed earlier too as I sought to do a favor for someone and ended up getting sent into an ambush for my good deeds. So that is how the game ended... in a series of invasions interrupted by two betrayals, the death of one of our long standing generals, and the ultimate final victory against forces that both outnumbered us and out-leveled us. But a win is a win. It will take me a few days to put together the final two posts with the dignity the latest events warrant. All I can say is what an ending and what a game.

I loved the hell out of this one. I know a lot of people will argue the point, but this felt like an RPG to me due to the Choices and Consequences, quests, and how the different character classes behaved... ok, I'll save my soapbox for the review.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
sword_451.png

Everyone was on board for some titan slaying, but we would get our first look at how tough they were once we went two spaces west of Lucedia. It was there that we were ambushed by the titans of Dersh. They made life tough for us by coming from each of the four cardinal directions with thrown boulders, causing us some harm and making us form a defensive perimeter around our archers and mages.

sword_454.png

sword_455.png

sword_456.png

sword_457.png

sword_458.png

I summoned an imp on the first round to help defend us, and left a small force as a holding action against the larger numbers of titans to the south and east. Meanwhile two larger forces of cavalry and infantry struck to the north and west against the smaller groups of titans. The idea was to wipe out the north and west quickly, then create a stronger front east. Irenaeus and Kashmir Slippers are kept busy healing our injured heroes, but we eventually prevail. Ultimately the battle just wasn't as tough as I thought it would be, but the forest and hills acted against the titans as it prevented them from fully employing their thrown boulders until our forces closed upon them.

sword_459.png

sword_460.png

sword_461.png

Onwards towards Dersh! "Your force is met by a large group of TITANS. Scouts report there are hundreds in a strong fortress. In addition, demons have been sighted in the hills to the east!" This battle highlights the problem with how the last battles of the game are prepared. In past battles I had to organize our forces due to different challenges. If we were fighting orcs I had to block with my infantry, flank smaller forces with cavalry, and use my bowmen to try to take advantage of larger stacked forces. When I fought goblins or giants, I had to be aggressive else be pummeled to death by missile weapons, so the cavalry took the lead with infantry moving slower behind in support, and archers trying to attack opponents in the rear that the melee forces wouldn't be able to close with right away. The middle parts of the game get especially complex with mixed units and enemy heroes.

sword_463.png

sword_464.png

sword_465.png

In the final battles of the game, the enemy forces and heroes are placed on a large hilltop overlooking everything. They also see your forces before your forces can see them, and so will rain arrows and spells down on you way before your ranged missile wielders can do the same. So since charging forward is suicidal you have to find other ways to win, and that brings me to the Pyro spell.

sword_466.png

The enemy mages will never use Pyro on your forces unless it can see them. On the other hand, our mages can cast Pyro on any square within range. The enemy in the final battles always stacks all of its units in the center of the city you are attacking, without ever considering leaving and attacking your forces. So all you have to do is have all your mages cast Pyro over and over into the center of the enemy city. Except for a few critically injured enemy units that might freak out and try to make a break for it, your opponents will just sit in the city and allow you to burn each and every one of them to a crisp. We eventually burn the Dersh forces to a crisp in this way, and the only casualties we suffered was from when we sent some infantry up in an attempt to fight honorably and turned back with a large volley of arrows embedded into our forces as a response.

sword_467.png

sword_468.png

sword_469.png

Dersh gives up a special treasure. "You have defeated the titans of Dersh and captured the city! The Sceptre of the Eastrealm now belongs to Deuce! You get 60 points." Sweet.

sword_470.png

We send some explorers our to look down the waterways, wait a month, then abandon Dersh and head back east. We start our way to Lucedia in order to become properly rewarded for our hard work. After all, they were freaked out about the titans, so we are bound to get some sign of appreciation and maybe even their vassalage out of it.

sword_471.png

"The Lucedians are waiting here for your return. They say: 'You must give up the Sceptre of the Eastrealm to the Frahali Knights! We are the rightful owners of the Sceptre. We will fight you here, if you will not surrender it to us.' You see at least 200 cavalry here."

The Lucedians have some balls. Alright, you ungrateful bastards. Come and get it.

sword_472.png

sword_473.png

The Lucedians keep this battle interesting. A large force comes at us from the east, and they are quite experienced, so their units take some weakening before they can be engaged successfully in hand-to-hand combat.

sword_474.png

sword_475.png

They also send a small force from the opposite direction which comes from the west and collides with some of our bowmen before we can send some cavalry and infantry of our own to meet them. It was a tough battle and Pyro was near useless, so three of our mages used Confusion instead while I used the Distintegrate spell on enemy stacks that contained hero units. The infantry entrenched and formed a wall that looked east, which our bowmen fired over. After the initial confusion during the first couple rounds we settled in and defeated the enemy by turn 6, though we lost eleven men.

sword_476.png

sword_477.png

sword_478.png

"You have defeated the Lucedians and broken their power! In the absence of any other power, you are proclaimed the new ruler of Lucedia. You get 20 points." Wow, that was easy. I guess killing the enemy commander translates into more than just a little respect in these parts.

sword_479.png

sword_480.png

sword_481.png

sword_482.png

With only three human cities left resisting us, I push our forces north towards Sothold. "Scouts report that the river is defended by about 1,000 troops from Sothold." We attack anyway. It looks like the more than a thousand troops loyal to Malthorn are backed up by 400 eastern Imperial troops. We start blasting away at them with our four mages since they all now have the Pyro spell.

sword_483.png

sword_484.png

sword_485.png

The combined attacks result in the surrender of the enemy forces by turn 8. We do not lose a single man. "You have gained the crossing! Now you may advance on Sothold. You get 15 points."

sword_486.png

sword_487.png

We travel on towards Sothold and are stopped by another band of ruffians. “You are stopped by a group of highwaymen. They say ‘We are the followers of the daughter of the deceased Baron Strumberg, who was murdered by that dog, Malthorn. The Baron’s daughter has been declared an outlaw by Malthorn. We are sworn to resist the growing power of Malthorn. We offer you information that will allow you to attack Sothold from the lightly defended northern side. We can also tell you about Malthorn’s troop strength. We ask that you give us a token amount to show your sympathy to our troubles. About 2000 gold pieces would help greatly.’” We have more than enough money right now, and we pay the man. “’Approach Sothold normally. Our guides will show you the way. Malthorn has about 1000 spearmen and 500 short bows. Additionally, there are about 1000 Imperial troops from Malthorn’s master. We do not know the composition.’”

sword_488.png

sword_489.png

That’s alright. I feel fairly confident we can take on those numbers, and so I press the attack on Sothold. “You have been able to approach from the weakly defended north as your guides suggested! Scouts report that Sothold is defended by about 1200 troops.”

sword_490.png

sword_491.png

sword_492.png

Our army starts off in a defensive position with cavalry and infantry surrounding our bowmen and mages. The city is to our south and we can see the large mixture of forces inside led by various heroes. Luckily they do not come out to meet us, as they are a somewhat large host. The Imperials and Sotholders actually outnumber us 2 to 1 by virtue of numbers of men, but we equal their combined ‘hits’, meaning our armies are more experienced.

sword_493.png

sword_494.png

sword_495.png

I have our mages lay some Pyros right into the center of the city, while our crossbowmen just barely outrange their shortbow archers. Because of that we hammer them repeatedly until a number of their men begin to flee to the northeast. Our cavalry rushes eastward to meet the panicking rabble, and it is an unled company of cavalry that runs down and slays Malthorn himself. By turn 9, the Sotholders surrender, while once more we have not lost a man.

sword_496.png

“You have defeated the forces of Malthorn and Lucinian IV and captured the city of Sothold! The Eastrealm is open to your armies!”

sword_497.png

sword_498.png

Without missing a beat, our forces march onto Estallah. “Your force is met by a small delegation from Estallah. They are carrying a flag of truce. When they arrive, they say: ‘Greetings from our Lord, His Radiance Count Tribunus. He has a proposal of Peace and Alliance to offer you! If you do not attack his fair domain of Estallah, He would be disposed to providing Aid if you were to attack his hated Enemy and spoiled Nephew, the very loathsome Lucinian of Tetrada!’”

sword_499.png

I know my Council would have advised me to attack Estallah regardless, as the royal family of the east should have been completely crushed in order to ensure our safe rule. So why did I agree? Was I suddenly tired of bloodshed? Was it that I wished to show mercy and prove our country chivalrous? Most likely it was because it was getting late at night, and I figured if I could avoid a long battle I would be able to complete the game before going to sleep. Besides, in my arrogance I believed I could preempt any traitorous behavior and outsmart our foes. It was a miscalculation that would cost us dearly, but I digress. I accepted his offer to the chagrin of the Council. “Tribunus tells you that he will send 1,000 of his BEST men to fight in Tetrada!”

sword_500.png

sword_501.png

sword_502.png

sword_503.png

As our forces reach the outskirts of Tetrada, we are ambushed by Imperials led by a host of demons. Our forces are soon surrounded and we engage in battle on multiple fronts. Tribunus regrets he can’t move fast enough to come to our aid… the bastard. The Pyro spell isn’t as helpful here, although it has its moments. The demons have a lot of hit points, so the Distintegrate spell is much more effective even though it only targets a stack rather than an area. Somehow we come out of the battle alright, mostly due to entrenchment of our well-positioned and well-led infantry. “You have defeated the forces of Lucinian IV and may now advance on his capital, Tetrada!”

sword_504.png

One final battle, and the campaign is won…

---------

THE LAST CASTLE

Jack Vance

Toward the end of a stormy summer afternoon, with the sun finally breaking out under ragged black rain clouds, Castle Janeil was overwhelmed and its population destroyed.

Until almost the last moment the factions among the castle clans were squabbling as to how Destiny properly should be met. The gentlemen of most prestige and account elected to ignore the entire undignified circumstance and went about their normal pursuits, with neither more nor less punctilio than usual. A few cadets, desperate to the point of hysteria, took up weapons and prepared to resist the final assault. Others still, perhaps a quarter of the total population, waited passively, ready—almost happy—to expiate the sins of the human race.

In the end death came uniformly to all; and all extracted as much satisfaction in their dying as this essentially graceless process could afford. The proud sat turning the pages of their beautiful books, or discussing the qualities of a century-old essence, or fondling a favorite Phane. They died without deigning to heed the fact. The hot-heads raced up the muddy slope which, outraging all normal rationality, loomed above the parapets of Janeil. Most were buried under sliding rubble, but a few gained the ridge to gun, hack, stab, until they themselves were shot, crushed by the half-alive power-wagons, hacked or stabbed. The contrite waited in the classic posture of expiation, on their knees, heads bowed, and perished, so they believed, by a process in which the Meks were symbols and human sin the reality. In the end all were dead: gentlemen, ladies, Phanes in the pavilions; Peasants in the stables. Of all those who had inhabited Janeil, only the Birds survived, creatures awkward, gauche and raucous, oblivious to pride and faith, more concerned with the wholeness of their hides than the dignity of their castle.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
“Tribunus tells you that he will send 1,000 of his BEST men to fight in Tetrada!”

I bet Cunt Tribunus is true to his words. But he cunningly avoided saying for which side his men would be fighting.

This LP has really wanted me to replay Sword of Aragon, but the battle against the Titans showed the reason why I probably won't - the AI is just too poor and makes the game too easy. But it was a very fun game first time I played it, when I was less experienced with Strategy games, and long before I had started cursing poor AI.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Ah, AoE spells from the edge of LoS. The bane of all AIs. Reminds me of the cloudkill exploit in the IE games.:M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
All hail the glory of wizards! Tremble before us, lesser heroes! :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom