Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Sword of Aragon with a Codexian War Council

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I am up for some demon hunting
:kwafuckyeah:

Let's deal with the demons first but (provided we have enough manpower) send a scouting party east as well, so that we can hopefully get at least a lead on where the magic is hidden.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You will fail badly. Good luck. Do not despair.
You will not be the first.
Nor the last.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Due to the size of this update, I didn't give as much detail to the battles that occurred here.

The consensus seems to be to start exploring in order to find the lost villagers on the monks. Surprisingly no one wants me to go toe to toe with a possible demon invasion. A normal winter goes from December to February, but this unnaturally long one went from November to March, meaning we had to wait five whole months before we could campaign again in April. Winter months also wreck hell upon the economy, so it's not like we were able to make a lot of upgrades to our cities and armies.

I do spend what little we have on garrisoning the newly minted Tentula 1st Infantry to defend our latest acquisition, thereby freeing a company of Aladda infantry, cavalry and bowmen to travel north with the majority of our heroes towards Sur Nova. The heroes stationed in Aladda beat us to it, though, and are in a position to defend.

sword_249.png

sword_253.png

That town to the east of us is Xafanta, and it seems to be ruled by the dwarves, who I suppose might be likely allies in the future. "One of your agents reports that the Grand Trow of the Xafanta dwarves, Heben Stenthumble, has declared 'any orcs who come to the Lastrul Plateau should fear for their lives.'" All well and good then.

sword_254.png

sword_255.png

Our main heroes walk up to Xafanta, but I have no desire to invade it and piss off the dwarves when events may make it so they ally with us anyway, so instead of attacking, I start trying to explore around it for the way east and am able to join all the heroes together with our army.

We keep having the worst damn luck in June. "Late spring floods have brought the economy to a standstill. The mood of the people has darkened.

sword_257.png

A report from the Khalikha nomads reveals that Jantri Khali has been successful in a battle with his main rival clan, and has demanded that all travellers passing through the plains pay tribute to him. It is said that all who refuse to pay will be killed!" Sounds like someone else we'll have to take out...

sword_259.png

Tentula and Sur Nova are still a mess despite my pouring money into their agriculture. I try to move our army but we start losing men. I realize it's probably due to the flooding and the fact our army is next to water. Grumbling, I camp the army and focus on more development.

sword_260.png

Remember how folks mentioned Sur Nova was going to be a drain. Well guess who comes to visit? "A group of Codexian trolls has surrounded Sur Nova at night! Scouts report there are hundreds of trolls both to the north and south of you. A message is received that says: 'You musst paye uss 2,000gp or wee will kiill all humann!" F@ck! Our main army is still too far away and camping out due to the flood, and the 40 men we left would be dead meat if they engaged. We have to pay.

:5/5: :troll::rpgcodex::x:mob::martini::fight:

"The trolls send a message: 'Havve thee gold ready forr uss whenn wee comme agaain, humanns!'" We are broke this month and can't develop agriculture for Sur Nova or Tentula.

sword_256.png

sword_261.png

July comes and we find out about a mass immigration of dwarves occurring in a nearby valley. I also finally locate the monastary. "You are greeted by a monk at the front gate. The monk says: 'Welcome Deuce, we have waited for many years for your arrival. Come in and rest yourself. Your men may relax OUTSIDE this holy place.'"

sword_262.png

sword_265.png

I enter. "You are treated to a very good meal and a soft bed. There is no hostility toward you or your men. The monk called Tertorus calls on you after your good rest: "'I think that we have a priceless bit of knowledge that we might share with you. Perhaps you would like to make a small donation to our humble order, Deuce? We would be most grateful for even a trifling amount such as 1,000 gp.'" This is what we came all the way for, so I agree.

sword_266.png

sword_267.png

"'You may be interested to find that there is another way across the Lufgar range: in the north there is a pass that was used centuries ago. This pass is now held by two enemies: the goblins and the dragon! They have held this pass since the Horrid Invasion, but they have grown lax in their defense in recent times. The trail is often left unguarded. You might be able to defeat the dragon and the goblins and gain the Crown of the Westrealm as your rightful prize.'" Well that was helpful, and not helpful. What about the magic that was supposed to protect Sur Nova? Is the magic from the Crown? Guarded by the dragon or the goblins? Damn it!

sword_269.png

sword_270.png

sword_271.png

sword_272.png

Taking the party east leads to a series of disasters. First, we do find the dragon and the goblin stronghold of Gernak. Our party doesn't have the full army behind us, but I decide that we might get lucky and have our heroes win the battle against the lone dragon themselves and just the cavalry. What follows is a quick and ugly battle. In the first round the cavalry and our martial heroes strike the dragon and knock it down to 80% effective. So far so good. But the dragon breathes fire on its turn, killing Elfberserker and Kashmir Slippers outright. On turn two he summons a demon, and on turn three our cavalry and heroes are almost all eliminated, causing me to retreat. Beaten, I try to take the army up north, but even hugging the mountains to the east of the forest results in the elves telling me to turn around. In the same month, an army of giants attacks Marinia and I send an Aladda infantry unit to support. The allied AI is retarded, and just sits in the town waiting as the giants fling boulder after boulder into the city from a long distance, wiping out the defenders even though the Marinia forces could have easily won had they left the town walls and taken the offensive. After these series of disasters, I reload an earlier save from just after we talked to the monks and head back southwest followed by a northern migration to Paritan instead.

sword_273.png

It is now September and all we have done this campaign season has been to develop our cities and armies. And pay off trolls. "A group of priests passing through has informed you that the Zarnix orcs have made a peace offering to the dwarves. No details of the offer or dwarven response were known to them, however." On the road to Paritan I run into trouble in some hilly woods northeast of Sur Nova.

sword_274.png

sword_275.png

sword_276.png

"Scouts report a horrid encampment of monsters ahead--the many evil signs have frightened your men, but your commanders will accompany you!" This is another battle with only heroes and no army. I separate our men into two groups: mages and everyone else. We are moving against several bands of orcs and four orc mages. In the first few rounds our warriors and knights easily beat back the orc soldiers, though the orc mages blast them from a distance and do some damage.

sword_277.png

sword_278.png

sword_279.png

sword_280.png

By turn 6 we win the battle by sending a few knights to rush past the remaining orcs and take out an enemy mage, which in turn leads us to an option to declare victory, but I turn it down. The mages are at 81% effectiveness, but have 15000 gold pieces; meaning we would only receive 19% of that 15000 gold if we quit now. We can do better than that. The priests, Irenaeus and Kashmir Slippers, handle the wounded. Our mages cast some magic into the ranks of the remaining three enemy mages, and our warriors and knights link together for two more attacks that wipe out the remaining orc spellcasters. Myself, Overboard, Elfberserker and Octavius all level up and we are 15000 gp richer. "You have defeated the mages and orcs! Long Live Deuce!"

sword_281.png

sword_282.png

sword_283.png

This money is immediately spent on city and unit improvements.

sword_284.png

Good thing, too, for I have been quietly building up Paritan forces during the last couple of updates. They now have two full infantry companies and a company of bowmen.

sword_285.png

sword_286.png

sword_287.png

Out of all the towns the orcs could decide to invade, this was the wrong one for them. "A band of orcs invades at night. You must defend Paritan!" Paritan has no hero units, but our infantry drives the enemy out of the town anyway and then entrenches in the face of overwhelming numbers. Although hurt in the attacks, the Paritans still hold the line and win by turn 5. I reinforce their numbers back up to full strength. We also get a new character due to the victory. Welcome aboard, SCO the level 1 warrior!

sword_288.png

Sur Nova has to pay off trolls again. This actually ended up being the third time, so we have paid those bastards 6000 gold pieces so far in just one year. :argh:

sword_290.png

So you are probably wondering why I've been spending so much effort in Paritan building up the forces there these last two updates. Well, it's because with two new infantry companies and a bowman unit, my army can use their forces to double our strength and attack the northeastern city of Nuralia once again!

sword_291.png

sword_292.png

sword_293.png

I start the fight with my forces spread out. One thing Nuralia has is plenty of bow units that will tear up our army before we could engage their melee forces. In fact, since the Nuralia forces have twice as many soldiers as we do, and their archers take up nearly half the army, the archers along nearly numerically equal our entire invading army. So by spreading out our units and inching our way down towards the city we can find the maximum range of these archers while avoiding stacking our units. We take some peppering in the first two rounds, but I find out two important facts. First, the enemy archers will not go more than two hexes past the Nuralia city walls. Second, my 1st Aladda Bow and 1st Paritan Bow companies have them ranged. For 30 turns we continue to pepper the enemy forces, and ulimately the battle ends in a stalemate, but not before the Nuralians lose a quarter of their army; most of which were archers.

sword_294.png

sword_295.png

We invade the month immediately after (November) with the Nuralians weakened from our last fight. This time our cavalry and knights go east of the Nuralian town to wait for any leakers as our mages also close in with Confusion and Fear spells wrecking havoc. The fear and confusion spells sometimes cause a unit to flee or stumble out of the town, resulting in our cavalry and knights attacking en masse, before separating in order to be less vulnerable to the remaining enemy archers.

sword_296.png

At the same time our infantry units, warriors, ranger, and priests spread out and start creeping towards the town's western edge in order to attract some attention from the enemy bowmen. This helps diffuse the enemy response so they are not entirely focused on our mages to the north and cavalry to the east. Our multiple attacks stay focused upon the enemy archers up until the threat is nearly neutralized. It is then that we turn our bow units against stacked infantry. The fear spell ruins their entrenchments, and we send infantry supported by our warriors and ranger into the breach, enabling us to gain a foothold into the northwestern part of the city.

sword_297.png

sword_298.png

By turn 14 we outnumber the Nuralians for the first time, but we have to stay aggressive. Winter is coming, so we can't afford for this battle to be drug out and end in another stalemate. We get aggressive with all our melee units, with even the priests moving up with a company. In the battle, SCO, Kashmir Slippers, and Elfberserker are injured and we have them retreat. I have Irenaeus pull back soon after in order to use his magic to try and aid them. We still are able to push deeper into the city, and a series of Confuse spells stop the enemy units from making a concerted defensive effort.

sword_299.png

sword_300.png

We win a huge battle, and Monstrous Bat, Desktop Commander and TigerKnee all gain a level. So does the Aladda 1st Infantry and Paritan 1st Infantry. SCO dies from his wounds again, however. :roll: We had a new ally join us, so SCO is reborn again as a level 1 warrior once more.

I don't have a screen shot of it, but I accidentally left Paritan unguarded between our October and November attacks, which resulted in Pitlag being resurrected and taking over the city. He also had 15000 gold on him! When I had our forces return and attack, the elves joined us again, making the battle pretty easy. Our infantry was joined by Monstrous Bat, Eryfkrad, Overboard, Irenaues, and Desktop Commander. They killed Pitlag in the same turn with two separate attacks and the battle was over that quickly, a far cry from the last time we struggled to beat him. This is definitely a game glitch, but it made us 15000 gold pieces richer, which of course went into our armies and city development. Also, we had a new hero join us after this battle, which means that Jester the Knight has now joined us!

sword_302.png

With that winter came, and a new opportunity.

sword_301.png

"An emissary from the Grand Trow of Xafanta proposes a plan to launch a combined attack on the Zarnix orcs. He would like to eliminate te orc presence that has blocked passage from east to west for so many years. Will you accept the Dwarven plan and alliance against the Zarnix orcs?" On one hand I feel bad for the orcs, which have been trying to win peace with the dwarves to no avail. On the other hand, the orcs keep attacking my cities, so let's do this!

Winter is here, and with that we can develop our defenses, train our armies, and prepare for the next step. When the thaw comes I plan to march our armies against the dragon and goblins, turn southwest to Sur Nova and try to resolve some issues with the trolls and other threats, then turn southeast from there and head towards Zarnix. Hopefully all this before the next winter.
We now own or are allied with half the cities of the known world.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Those Trolls are like the ancient Assyrians, demanding protection money from anyone they can succesfully bully. But we all (?) know what happened to the Assyrians, right? One decisive victory on their home turf should end their threat permanently.

Dayyālu

Arcane
But we all (?) know what happened to the Assyrians, right?

They created an empire that ran on cruelty and Awesome for decades? I hope that the Trolls are not on the same level. I don't want to see the 'Dex team cities destroyed, devastated and burned, their women and children masterfully relocated and enslaved.

Well, get me on the recruitment list when/if a place opens. Thanks!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Died 3 times, but reborn again, like a unlucky low-level phoenix

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
This game is really eventful. So much is going on right now. Was the demon thing ever solved?

Can't you just march the army down to Sur Nova and wipe out the trolls? That seems like it would be a better solution to paying them all the time.

RK47

Patron
You will die a horrible death. I like this game back then, but found it too hard unless you know how to pace things. If you play this game with a rushed ' I can take on anything' mentality you will simply lose in the long run due to attrition and losing veteran troops.

What Deuce is trying to do is managing tasks while ensuring his veterans get stronger.
I am reminded of King Arthur the RPG Wargame all the sudden where one loss can unravel everything.
Bored @ Work
iranus.jpg

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Those trolls are pretty annoying.
if their power level isn't too high then I propose to ban destroy trolls!

Slaughtering orcs with dwarves sounds pretty bro way to spend time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've heard trolls lose interest and go away if you ignore them. Could that be a viable strategy in this instance?

RK47

Patron
Yeah sure, let me just add them to ignore list...

:troll:

Well, that certainly was one eventful update.

I agree that we should do something about those trolls and hit their hometurf with our righteous banhammer. Bonus points if you scream "End of line!" while charging their troops.

Also: Orcs can't be trusted - 10 out of 10 pulp fantasy authors agree. Get rid of your orc woes with this one weird trick alliance.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Funny you should mention trolls and orcs...when you attack Zarnix, the dwarves help out by telling you they will flank the orcs, and that they also have an army intercepting trolls off screen and so we won't have to worry about an attack from behind. So if we didn't ally with the dwarves we would have lost their support forces for the battle, plus trolls would have attacked us from the west. Just one of the neat ways the game can unfold. Looking back, CRPG Addict never involved himself with the dwarves, and the orcs eventually took their city, resulting in CRPG Addict having to fight to get it back. I never ran into that handicap.

Ok, I just finished playing the next section of the game with the intent of meeting three objectives: find the artifact the monks mentioned that was guarded by goblins and the dragon, stop the troll attacks, and attack Zarnix with our dwarven allies.

So much happened that next thing I knew, I had over 100 screen shots. Getting the artifact involved the largest battle I had taken on until that moment, then we rested in Sur Nova for the winter with the idea of attacking the trolls next but events unfolded that caused us to fight a massive battle defending Sur Nova first followed by an attack upon Trollhome itself. Finally, the battle for Zarnix also was large and had multiple stages. Oh, and we were attacked several times in our cities by random encounters, had multiple new heroes join our forces, and settled the issue of the nomad chieftain once and for all. Our enemy, the eastern emperor, is also on the move and is taking territory and assassinating rivals.

We also broke out to the eastern part of the continent twice, with the seat of the enemy Empire just a couple turns away.

So I still have to do the write up, but I am anticipating that I will have to make two massive posts for the next update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom