Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
A true, new NWN would be great. Make sure to include tons of customization in terms of mod support, and don't overly streamline things. Focus on the RPG elements and having an accurate adaptation of the D&D ruleset.

I would do anything for this. A new version of NWN, made properly. Playing that game on an RP server was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
A true, new NWN would be great. Make sure to include tons of customization in terms of mod support, and don't overly streamline things. Focus on the RPG elements and having an accurate adaptation of the D&D ruleset.

I would do anything for this. A new version of NWN, made properly. Playing that game on an RP server was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Same here. Even if they don't want to make it D&D because of the legal labyrinth and royalties, they can still use the 3.5 OGL for it or even develop a new ruleset. It's kind of what I expected from Dragon Age back in the day, that moving out of D&D they'd adopt a new system that would be good and complex enough, and of course the creation tools on par with the NWN toolsets. They chose quite the opposite of that, and now, looking at their huge success with DA series and how their sales declined on NWN2, I doubt they'll ever look back.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
People write mean things in discussions about a bad game? O noes...

3d456e3d0b4e11a922332bc8d63b372f.jpg

Theldaran

Liturgist
Same here. Even if they don't want to make it D&D because of the legal labyrinth and royalties, they can still use the 3.5 OGL for it or even develop a new ruleset. It's kind of what I expected from Dragon Age back in the day, that moving out of D&D they'd adopt a new system that would be good and complex enough, and of course the creation tools on par with the NWN toolsets. They chose quite the opposite of that, and now, looking at their huge success with DA series and how their sales declined on NWN2, I doubt they'll ever look back.

If some people say Baldur's Gate brought popamole to CRPG, I don't wanna know what they will think of Dragon Age (I can make a guess, though). Under the new EA direction, Bioware proceeded to aim their products to more casual players and the result, I have to say, has been pretty much a success (in sales, not quality-wise).

Meanwhile NWN lies forgotten by the majority of the market, I'm sure it has its loyal following, but that probably isn't enough by today's standards. Like I said elsewhere D&D isn't a beacon of pop culture anymore, Warcraft is way more known for example, it's sad but we and the publishers have to accept it.

Truth is, there are different kinds of players, a niche market will sell but it won't sell well enough, you have PS Vita as a witness. Anyone who bought PS Vita thinking of having a portable PS4 in their hands is just a moron. Instead, those who bought it for the ton of anime and Japanese games made a solid choice. Anyway, the outcome is that Sony doesn't want anything to do with Vita. Bottom line is, we have to reconcile hardcore niche players with the big audience that companies dream of milking. The best product probably lies in between. Products like Fallout 4 may look shitty to some but they will always do great in the current market. Even Hearts of Iron has been dumbed down and aimed at a wider audience.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
If some people say Baldur's Gate brought popamole to CRPG, I don't wanna know what they will think of Dragon Age (I can make a guess, though). Under the new EA direction, Bioware proceeded to aim their products to more casual players and the result, I have to say, has been pretty much a success (in sales, not quality-wise).

Meanwhile NWN lies forgotten by the majority of the market, I'm sure it has its loyal following, but that probably isn't enough by today's standards. Like I said elsewhere D&D isn't a beacon of pop culture anymore, Warcraft is way more known for example, it's sad but we and the publishers have to accept it.

Truth is, there are different kinds of players, a niche market will sell but it won't sell well enough, you have PS Vita as a witness. Anyone who bought PS Vita thinking of having a portable PS4 in their hands is just a moron. Instead, those who bought it for the ton of anime and Japanese games made a solid choice. Anyway, the outcome is that Sony doesn't want anything to do with Vita. Bottom line is, we have to reconcile hardcore niche players with the big audience that companies dream of milking. The best product probably lies in between. Products like Fallout 4 may look shitty to some but they will always do great in the current market. Even Hearts of Iron has been dumbed down and aimed at a wider audience.

Yeah, it's the old discussion we have all the time. We went from a small market for nerds, to a huge market in which true nerds are now a small niche. Games are no longer made for us, they make mass-market games with maybe a few winks at us classic-RPG players. But my point of view is it's a shortsighted mistake. The business is profitable enough to make both mass-retard games and good RPGs, at different profit levels. If they don't, someone else will. I'm optimistic; small studios or indies will come out with the next huge ideas/concepts that are true to the RPG principles, while their Fallout 8 surprisingly fails to sell as well as Fallout 7 and they scratch their heads and blame the forums, like SCL does now. They take good things like D&D and then stretch them so thin, they end up having no value anymore. But that's not really an obstacle, for great games coming out by someone else. Just don't expect them to be named D&D or Fallout or Elder Scrolls, that won't happen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sword Coast Legends Console Reviews

Now that n-Space's Sword Coast Legends has firmly planted itself into console territory with the release of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, an assortment of reviews have made their way online. In short, the reception is similar to what we saw with the PC version.

GameCrate gives it a 5.25/10:

The fact that Sword Coast Legends ultimately wound up being a disappointing flop is especially disheartening since it was clear during the game’s run up to launch that N-Space was very passionate about the project. I’m not entirely sure what went wrong, but sadly I do know that D&D fans will need to look elsewhere for a proper digital conversion of the pen-and-paper game’s 5th Edition.

Games Asylum gives it a 6/10:

At least the Dungeon Master mode has shorter loading screens. It’s a pretty decent addition to an already large game, in fact. Here, one player acts as a Dungeon Master and is presented with an overhead view of a cavernous maze, with various themes and sizes available. Players then enter your custom creation, and it’s your job to place traps and enemies in their way to make the task of escaping (side-quests are also optional) a tricky one. The novelty and entertainment value is a little short lived, but it’s still a pretty significant extra that you’ll probably remember more than the main game itself.

Brash Games gives it a 4/10:

The voice acting is good, and there is enough passion invested to make it all sound convincing. The story itself, although a bit on the generic side will likely hold up until the end. After all, your questing and looting on the Sword Coast, and looking to be a legend about it, do you care for the story that much? Well, probably yes. But in all reality, it’s passable. The music score on the other hand, is where the game excels at. It is a perfect fit for the fantasy, sword wielding hero, or magic slinging if that is more your thing. Sadly though, being the only aspect of what could have been a great game, it fails to live up to my expectations at least, and the transfer from PC to console has not been a good one. Whether the developer couldn’t be bothered, or just rushed it, we will never know. At the price of £15.99, I would suggest that you wait for a sale if you really want it that badly in your collection. As it stands, there are far better games out there worthy of your money.

PlayStation Nation gives it a 7/10:

If you enjoy games like Baldur’s Gate and more recently Divinity on PS4, then you may find a good time in Sword Coast Legends. As a Dungeons & Dragons fan, I really had fun with this. It will never hit the same beats as the Baldur’s series, but that doesn’t stop it from being a decent ride.

And The Xbox Hub gives it a 3.5/5:

All-in-all, Sword Coast Legends is great. It does have its fair share of problems, but I feel that it pays back on some of them by having an awesome Dungeon Crawl and multiplayer mode that lets one of your friends be the Dungeon Master. Plus, you get a free expansion to access that adds onto the exceptionally large amount of gameplay already in place. Put that with the different races and alignments for each character, and you end up with a tremendously large set of replays that will be good fun for everybody.

TOUGH GUY

Educated
Finally got around to this one. It's decent fun. For a casual plebeian who likes cliched run of the mill fantasy stuff and DnD and BG and and IWD and NWN it's more of the same, and by more of the same I mean they only took the mediocre bits and made a game out of them. Good enough for me!

Coma White

Educated
Finally got around to this one. It's decent fun. For a casual plebeian who likes cliched run of the mill fantasy stuff and DnD and BG and and IWD and NWN it's more of the same, and by more of the same I mean they only took the mediocre bits and made a game out of them. Good enough for me!

But... it's not D&D.

Telengard

Arcane
I'd like to say that "hits all the same beats" is a horrible millennial term we should all hate on from now on, but it's actually kind of an old industry term. Maybe it shouldn't have leaked out into the review world, but it is seeing increasingly common use.

Now for the boring part - definitions. A 'beat' is a subdivision of a scene, and a scene is a subdivision of an act. A beat is thus a specific few moments within a scene that are visibly separate from the other beats. Each beat will have its own intent, and these beats, when strung together well, keep the viewer interested in the scene as it progresses. If you extend this definition into metaphor a bit, then any one beat will have a certain look and feel, all designed to evoke a certain result in the viewer. Thus, a reboot that is using all of the same elements and maybe even also the same pacing as the original piece is 'hitting all the same beats'. As in, Star Wars: the Force Awakens hit all the same beats as A New Hope.

In this SCL case above, though, the reviewer is implying that "SCL will never hit all of the same wonderful beats as Baldur's Gate, but there's still a good time to be had with it". -If I can be so bold as to put words into someone's mouth after only reading a snippet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom