Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/10562-psa-sword-coast-legends-digital-extremes/

Hello Adventurers,

I'm from Digital Extremes, and I worked behind the scenes with Ash to help establish some of the foundations for the Sword Coast Legends community. We (Digital Extremes) are still sorting out what we can do and what the future of Sword Coast Legends will look like. If you're familiar with Forgotten Realms, maybe you remember the Time of Troubles - we don't yet know how the pantheon will be reformed. Our focus right now is on the console release, which is still moving ahead as of right now, then we'll see about the next steps after that.

So what am I doing here and what can we accomplish in the meantime? At the very least, I can continue the work that Ash started and support these forums. I'll relay any information that I receive and keep all of you in the loop as best as I can. Some of you noticed that I consolidated several of the subforums - I did this so I can track them easier, and I have plans to open up some more forums in the near future. Please, feel free to continue to use these forums to discuss all things Dungeons & Dragons.

Still no website update.

EDIT: lol at the wishful thinking in the thread

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Optimist said:
Guys, you have a grand opportunity here to build off of someone else's failure. I'm not saying this because I love SCL. I don't like it all that much in it's current state. But wow... the potential is there (that is something EVERYONE agrees on). With some work, it could be the next best thing that happens to D&D CRPGs since NWN. You now own the foundation that a team has built up over the past 2-3 years.

Oh god.. I feel like I am seeing a mother standing at the train station 3 years after the war ended..
Any day now He'll come home.. :(

Dorateen

Arcane
TSI will come to the rescue.
Of CRPGs? Maybe if we're very, very lucky.

Of DnD? Not fucking likely.

It's certainly a long shot. But...

shelley.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
This is so frustrating, it cost 5 million dollars to make a game like Divinity Original Sin

FYI: This is extremely doubtful IMO. I think Larian have been a bit "creative" with the budget figures that they've revealed. It just doesn't make sense to me that they worked on a game for 4+ years, including creating their own engine from scratch with multiplayer and other sophisticated capabilities, with a Kickstarter-sized budget. They might be counting engine development costs in a separate budget or something.
If Larian was creative or not on the budget we don't know but openning two studios seems to me more successful than closing one that was backed by a strong brand.
Not a bad idea, larians writing would probably mesh well with some of the more wacky elements of D&D. But i thought they only produced games specific to their own world or some crap like that.

DramaticPopcorn

Why can't WotC simply contract Larian to make a D&D game using the Original Sin engine? It would be a near-guaranteed success..
because then Larian would have to hire actual writers, they are spread thin as it is

8:::::::::::::::::::::::Э

Kiste

Augur
Why can't WotC simply contract Larian to make a D&D game using the Original Sin engine? It would be a near-guaranteed success..
because then Larian would have to hire actual writers, they are spread thin as it is

They can do Rage of Demons, it's already written. I have to say though that DnD5 doesn't seem to be a great fit for CRPGs. Stuff like bounded accuracy and really flat power and upgrade curves. I think it's great for PnP but not neccessarily CRPGs.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jist think of this: ToEE remake from Larian
:shredder:

ToEE was good because of the implemention of the rules and mechanics, not because of the module they used.
Exactly. So they can get the rules and implement them in their engine, get the story and maybe even add a couple of things.. I don't really see anything bad with it.
Someone should mod the thing at least :P

Trashos

Arcane
Jist think of this: ToEE remake from Larian
:shredder:

I see how this may good for DnD (and for us), but I can't see how this may be good for Larian. Right now, it looks like a sure way to fail.
Still, I wouldn't rule it out, if DnD is something like a childhood dream for them. However, I expect that they will have to hire ex-Bioware people in order to strike a deal with WotC.

DramaticPopcorn

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Why was the writing bad? I mean did anyone reach the point to actually care about the writing in this one?

pippin

From the little I saw, it was just run of the mill fantasy stuff. But when the news abot the writing came along, people already knew this was going to be a crap game, so I guess nobody really bothered with that aspect.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yeah that's what I guessed. She could've written amazing monologues for the end-game but I doubt more than like 100 people will actually read them properly :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah that's what I guessed. She could've written amazing monologues for the end-game but I doubt more than like 100 people will actually read them properly :P

Wait, wait. You're confused. That girl is Sarah Baylus, Larian's writer. She had nothing to do with Sword Coast Legends. This thread has gone a bit off topic. :P

Mustawd

Optimist said:
Guys, you have a grand opportunity here to build off of someone else's failure. I'm not saying this because I love SCL. I don't like it all that much in it's current state. But wow... the potential is there (that is something EVERYONE agrees on). With some work, it could be the next best thing that happens to D&D CRPGs since NWN. You now own the foundation that a team has built up over the past 2-3 years.

Oh god.. I feel like I am seeing a mother standing at the train station 3 years after the war ended..
Any day now He'll come home.. :(

Everyone on those forums bemoans the fact that the last community pack was unable to be realized (tile by tile editor, more monsters, etc). But at the end of the day, you can have all the tools in the world, but it doesn't make one damn difference if the combat is as shallow as what SCL appeared to be.

imweasel

That girl is Sarah Baylus, Larian's writer.
Checked her twitter. Cute girl and seems to be pretty normal.

Although I have no idea what she is trying to tell us with this tweet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom