Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Sword Coast Legends developer n-Space is shutting down

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Can someone for the love of God explain that gif to me?

Start here: http://www.bradmcguire.com/

Why is this gay sex site (thanks for the NSFW warning) any relevant?

Hey, buddy, I think you got the wrong door. Leather club's two doors down...

Is this some GD meme I'm unaware of?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

FUCK YOU

180px-NO_U.jpg

Mustawd

You would know if you had GD access :smug:

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

You would know if you had GD access :smug:

tony-fuggedaboutit.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
And nothing of value is lost. I might've been a bit sympathetic if they had been more honest with their game but they blatantly lied about this being a 5th ed D&D game so fuck them.

Mustawd

I feel bad for the individual contributors. These guys seemed to really want to put a good game out. too bad it wasn't in their control to do so.

Tony - audio director

Hey all,

So how's it going? Heh. Eh. Hmm...

Since n-Space hasn't released anything official I won't comment on anything official other than I do not work there anymore. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who fought for SCL to grow, improve, through whatever means you may have employed. Be it harsh criticism or lavish praises, it was nice to have a community to gauge reactions, pluck ideas from, and overall inspire each other to be better. Another thanks to Ash for setting down the guidelines.

I have a big heart for forums and a bigger heart for sharing, which you guys let me do. When people were asking if we were going to deliver a roadmap, I gave them some information on how I made the sounds for the sad wolf deaths are from my own dog and that I did not beat her. When customers were wondering if we would ever add Druids, I said how about that dynamic music system? Did you notice it increases intensity based on the each encounter's perceived difficulty?! I didn't always have the info people wanted, but I'm grateful to those who recognized it for what it was. I just wanted to impress you guys. I just wanted to show a bit of the passion we have. I wanted to say that even when there is nothing I could have officially commented on, that there were really creative people trying their darndest to wow you.

Everything I ever said I was trying to do, wanted to do, had plans for was absolutely true, as did for the rest of the team which would include everything CP3. We came short on what the DM tools were supposed to be at launch and we desperately wanted to be vindicated. There was no vindication budget, and the two packs we did release were on our own time and our own dime. On a longer timeline and with more resources we could have gotten this game so much closer to where people wanted. And imagine the sequel! Sheesh. And about that...

We would have learned so much from SCL1 that SCL2 would have no choice but to succeed. And I know this to be a fact because the work I did on Rage Of Demons, as did the others on the designs, the environments, the enemies, etc is so much smarter and focused and shows growth for us. We all strive to perform but really we all strive to learn. The day I stop learning is the day I go do something else. That's the saddest thing really is the potential. Yeah, there were mistakes and early steps were shaky but I wouldn't have a 12 year old girl today if I rejected her for eating crayons and pooping rainbows when she was 1. But this isn't family, it's business right?

Pardon me, I've been in a melancholy haze recently but I'm looking up. I'll jump into some freelance work if I can and start the hunt for employment elsewhere. I've met some amazing people here who really dug what I was trying to do. n-Space gave me a lot of freedom to direct the audio how I saw fit and it's a personal victory to get a pretty good consensus that it was good. Just remember that it wouldn't be nearly as good without the rest of the team's work. Their creativity, ingenuity, and drive was my launch pad. They inspired me as did this community and I'll take it wherever I go next to build myself upwards.

Thanks.

Ash - Community Manager

There is no easy way to put this, but today was my last day at n-Space. I went ahead and turned over my "keys" to the various social channels, so after tonight I won't be the individual running them.

Where to begin?

I'll suppose start off by giving a sincere thanks to everyone in the SCL community. Your passion for SCL (even if you hated it) really did push the team to make the game better and I was proud to advocate on your behalf. As someone who has been playing and loving D&D his entire life, being the CM for a D&D game was a dream come true and I really will miss reading through the various forums and threads here on a daily basis.

As for what is going on with n-Space, I'm afraid that really isn't my story to tell, but I'm sure info will come to light soon enough. I honestly don't know the status of SCL on console or Rage of Demons at this time. We'll all have to wait and see together.

As for myself, I have some good news! I'm going to be a father in about five short weeks. My wife and I are both healthy and happy and are excited for whatever happens next. I was planning on taking some paternity leave in early May, but now it looks like I'll have some extra bonus time added to my stay-cation. In the meantime, I plan spending more time working on content for my site http://www.nerdappropriate.com/(which is what I was doing before SCL). If you like hearing folks talk about video games and pop culture, definitely drop by the site (I do some fun interviews as well).

As I won't be running the SCL Twitter, please give me a follow on Twitter @NerdAppropriate if you want to keep in touch.

Oh yeah, for those of you that enjoyed our weekly streams, they're not dead! I do plan on streaming again once things calm down. It won't be on the SwordCoastLegends channel, but I have every intention of playing games and eating strange foods from foreign lands with you all again.

Again, thank you guys for being a huge part of my dream. Onward to a new and different future!

Weasel
Tony Audio Director said:
I have a big heart for forums and a bigger heart for sharing, which you guys let me do. When people were asking if we were going to deliver a roadmap, I gave them some information on how I made the sounds for the sad wolf deaths are from my own dog and that I did not beat her. When customers were wondering if we would ever add Druids, I said how about that dynamic music system? Did you notice it increases intensity based on the each encounter's perceived difficulty?! I didn't always have the info people wanted, but I'm grateful to those who recognized it for what it was. I just wanted to impress you guys. I just wanted to show a bit of the passion we have. I wanted to say that even when there is nothing I could have officially commented on, that there were really creative people trying their darndest to wow you.

This reminds me of an exchange with Dan O'Leary where he said he was proud of their efforts at communication and it was the community's fault for getting the wrong idea about what the game would be, pointing to an early thread where a wide variety of hopes for SCL were expressed. It was pointed out that he (or anyone from NS) could have easily stepped into that thread and sorted out the misconceptions with one or two quick posts. He then spouted some crap about how they were a small team and didn't have time to "respond to everything". So people produced quotes which showed that there were often replies from NS employees when basic questions were asked, but they were not allowed to "officially comment", as Tony hints at here.

His idea of communication was to be as evasive as possible and not allow his staff to answer anything ("we're not talking about that right now, but trust us we've all played a lot of DnD and are very passionate"), then at the end he blames buyers for getting the wrong idea from the namedropping of NWN and the stuff about replicating any DnD module. Fuck that. Tony seemed like a bro so I hope he gets a decent job and can forget about the clowns he used to work for.

DramaticPopcorn

I seem to have lost my edge because first thought when reading the title was "those guys are without jobs now"

:(

btbgfel

Scholar
Good Riddance. Though on one side, it's an living example of "you turned a blind eye to the fanbase, you fucked up yourselves"; on the other side, unfortunately, another conclusion can be easily made:"Making a D&D game is a high cost and high risk business, better not try it."

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Good Riddance. Though on one side, it's an living example of "you turned a blind eye to the fanbase, you fucked up yourselves"; on the other side, unfortunately, another conclusion can be easily made:"Making a D&D game is a high cost and high risk business, better not try it."

The first comment applies to not just Sven but very much so to D&D. It's pointless to make any game for that shit system that has been completely ruined for about a decade now.

So once again

U9zxsa4.jpg

As for people losing jobs it's not like the money ceases to exist or employees cease to exist, they are just redeployed to something potentially actually worth a shit.

mastroego

Arcane
If the only way to avoid that is to buy shitty would-be cash grab games, I'll just do without D&D crpgs.
Plenty of fun games to play anyway.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course that Sword Coast Legends would flop. It was shit design even before they spoke about it. If they tried to make something like Neverwinter Nights, then maybe it wouldn't flop as hard. Bloated HP? Cooldown abilities? Worse campaign builder than Neverwinter Online? The failure was seen from afar. They were WARNED by DnD fans this would be the case. They didn't listen. They failed. The End.

Bonerbill

Augur
That sucks. I enjoyed Geist on the gamecube. I was really hoping for a sequel to that game.

But to be serious for a moment, all they had to do was copy NWN or BG. It was so simple. :(

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Sometimes I pull on it so hard, I rip the skin off"

Great metaphor for n-Space. Like previously mentioned, nobody is surprised. They could've tried to make a good game, but what do you expect from former Dragon Age developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom