Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Larian have seen your enthusiasm for SCL's multiplayer mode and are responding in kind:

hlXjxX3l.png

$2,000,000 – Dungeon Master Mode!

Building on the work of the mod team, we'll make an in-game version of the editor that allows dungeon-masters to unleash their fantasies on budding adventurers, adjusting and controlling the dungeon while the other players are playing!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian have seen your enthusiasm for SCL's multiplayer mode and are responding in kind:

hlXjxX3l.png
Damn, now I really want them to reach this goal. I liked SCL's dungeon master mode in theory, but it would be great to play it in turn based mode.

sstacks

Arcane
I've got another post up with notes from today's Sword Coast Legends live stream on Twitch on my blog:
http://shaneplays.com/sword-coast-legends-belaphoss-statue-and-910-twitch-stream/

I'll post the notes below but if you want some screenshots including the Belaphoss statue the link above includes them. Other than images, everything else is pretty much below.

----

9/10 Twitch Stream for Sword Coast Legends
[Update, that means Sep 10, not 9 out of 10]

Ash Sevilla Community Manager
SCL Director: Dan Tudge

Head Start weekend (for Design Council level this weekend) starts tomorrow (Friday, Sep 11) at some point in the evening EST but exact time not known yet.

Special stream on Saturday chatting about the game and showing nspace created modules.

Dan doing a Q&A while playing on Hard mode. There may be a party wipe. Q&A interspersed with gameplay.

Chris (art director) shows off Belaphoss statue that is a premium preorder incentive. Looks pretty great.

New setting: DM threat can be turned off. Players and press were both asking about this. If you play with threat completely off, more game balancing needed on front end. Players will know going in whether it is normal threat, threat off, or unlimited threat. Evidently everyone "must agree".

Pause options: Many more pause options for players and DM in co-op. Game host decides pause options.

Team has implemented AI controlled companions for single player co-op (that sounds weird to describe it that way). AI companions come in at player level.

Head Start access this weekend for Design Council players.

Ash will be streaming Head Start games, encourages players to stream.

Future road map: closer to launch there will be a roadmap for upcoming months.

Gameplay (by Dan) begins in Evermoors. Party looking for way into the Underdark.

Gameplay is part of story campaign, Ash warns of minor spoilers.

Party talks with female NPC giving quest exposition, good voice acting.

Ash reminds game is on Hard. Hard is hard. Requires tactical things. There will be death.

Items can be sorted by weight in addition to value.

Inventory has a junk tab. It doesn't trash items, just collects them together for easier management.

On Hard your companions take 100% friendly fire damage. Dan unleashes a spell and hopes his companions don't die.

No fudging of the rules on Hard. You can get one shotted and die.

Combat log shown off... you can click on entries and get more info on rolls in a pop up.

Animations and sound during combat are very nice, multi leveled stuff going on.

Companion goes down during first big fight. Dan stabilizes her.

Players cannot currently customize gear color. San says it is is in the backlog of features to get to.

DMs can modify gear color for NPCs.

Evermoors tileset ambiance is nice... creepy but alive.

Dan finds a loot from a previous kill.

You can set camera to lock onto character. Can also use WASD camera controls.

Spiders... plus an elite giant spider.

Ash turns off cam so we can see mini map. Typical mini-map type functionality... small circle in upper right of UI. Also larger full screen map can be accessed.

Companions going down quite often. Fights are tough.

Ash says right now limite for "raised" (summoned) monsters per player character is one. So I guess max of four per party if everyone can summon?

Dan is doing a lot of pausing and tactics. Ash says it looks grim. Dan says he can handle it, uses Revivify ability which takes 2 action points.

Dan says hm, may be a wipe. Spiders run rampant on Dan in massive carnage. Wipe confirmed.

After wipe, it goes back to last save. This resets party to before they talked to old lady NPC. Dan decides to run around the Evermoors and fight stuff rather than kick off quest again.

Player characters can go in and out of single player and DM campaigns. Equipment / weight carries over. Weight and buy / sell prices are based on main character.

Camera can now zoom in more during NPC interactions to show off detail on character models.

If you bring in a friend's player into co-op, it will remove a companion and drop them in. When they leave, the companion comes back.

Ambush combat (random encounters?) while traveling on world map? Yes, absolutely. Not just combat. Encounters reflect where you are in the story.

Dungeon layouts are still randomizes but you can reroll dungeons until you get a layout you like. Item placement and lighting can be customized for big changes in feel / tone.

Monsters are scaled to average player level. So for groups with varying levels of characters it tries to compensate. Lower level characters tend to level up to catch up quickly then it evens out.

Characters are stored on server so it is difficult to hack characters however if someone really wants to they will.

You can kick players that are obviously cheating.

DLC schedule: Rage of Demons first and only announced DLC at this point, no date firmed yet. DLC will keep coming if players keep playing.

All preorders regardless of when preordered will get Rage of Demons DLC.

Dan tries big spider fight again. He mentioned earlier he doesn't like spiders.

There is offline mode. Character is saved and then synched up through Steam when you are online again. No support for "offline" LAN play.

Rogues have arcane trickster abilities. Rogue at PAX had some arcane trickster abilities.

Spiders are trying to kite Dan's party. Nice AI.

Question about Drizzt being usable as NPC by DMs in Rage of Demons. Ash says they are not really talking specifics about it yet, but they did show a picture of Drizzt at PAX and that should be a hint.

Ash really likes the variety of monster abilities in SCL.

DMs will have access to a demon monster set so they can make demonic campaigns.

No multiclassing right now but players can build their characters very differently.

Vendors sell items based on character level. Different items at different times.

I think I heard Ash say you will not be able to buy amazing magical items from vendors.

Dan picks a fight and goes out in a blaze of glory. Actually, he does pretty well.

They give away a couple of "mace of terror" in game items.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
Update to my previous post from an n-Space employee via Twitter:

RT @The_Yelle: @ShanePlays just a clarification: vendors sell not just common items. Some sell unique things you don't normally find from random drops.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lol. -100 cool points for you

I don't care because I haven't bought it yet, but I had a hope this game would be sort of like a combination of Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age: Origins, two games I enjoyed. Would have been nice to traipse around the Realms with a bunch of over the top companions in a James Cameron-esque narrative.

Since revealing all the bios this game has fallen off the face of the world as concerns story and companions. I have no belief whatsoever it is possible to combine a robust multiplayer experience with what made Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age: Origins entertaining, so the more they talk up the multiplayer the more convinced I am that single player side of things is slipping away.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
even with an awesome campaign

:retarded:

What is it with people thinking that this game might have good single player? Where did that idea even come from?

To be fair, public multiplayer also looks pretty dysfunctional in the new vids. I don't know what kind of people have bought into this head start version, but they're doing a much worse job at coordination and general gameplay expertise than a group of random journos at Gamescom. Either these head start guys are uniquely antisocial and unskilled, or the game's public muliplayer aspect is doomed.

Last edited:

Shammy

Learned
:retarded:

What is it with people thinking that this game might have good single player? Where did that idea even come from?

To be fair, public multiplayer also looks pretty dysfunctional in the new vids. I don't know what kind of people have bought into this head start version, but they're doing a much worse job at coordination and general gameplay expertise than a group of random journos at Gamescom. Either these head start guys are uniquely antisocial and unskilled, or the game's public muliplayer aspect is doomed.
I'm not saying that it will have a good campaign, I'm saying even if it did, it won't save it due to the mediocre gameplay. It'd be unfair of me to flat out say it'll be a shitty campaign.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Looks like Dragon Age Inquisition is going to hold the multiplayer crown for this kind of gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, they could spend at least another year just implementing things like full dungeon customization and more tile sets, putting in branching dialogues and allowing for more complex stock quests in scenarios, generally improving the "feel" of combat, rebalancing the scaling system so you can't have level 2 beholders, improving matchmaking and offering more tools for multiplayer parties, etc. etc. Still, what they've shown of the single player campaign already reveals that they're doing this on a very tight budget. IMHO, their best bet now is to really commit to improving the multiplayer.

pippin

That video looks like prototype footage of a game that is still years from release.

This is what Early Access is enabling.

Anybody else see this and feel a stab of black, bitter rage in their gut? The infamous Eye Tyrant, scourge of AD&D and bane of heroes level scaled for accessibility.

Retardation knows no limits. And there are still dumbfucks asking for games to be easier and easier every time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what Early Access is enabling.
The game's not in Steam Early Access. This is a short beta test for high tier pre-orderers. Game's coming out at the end of the month.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom