Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Building a character isn't playing a game.

Just go here and you have just as much fun if not more than NWN2 offers: http://www.d20srd.org/

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Technically they're both fun to play. That's why people who play and enjoy RPGs have played and enjoyed them.

Dragon Age: Origins is obviously a loser when it comes to character progression -- those Bioware spreadsheets aren't exactly a source of fascination -- but they peppered the crawl with good encounters and a fairly developed sense of discovery. A lot of trash mobs, but also a lot of good encounters; Dark Spawn archers weren't shy with their rogue stuns and would try to stay out your the player's reach. That's pretty much where the 4-5 years of development time went. They also weren't afraid to force the player to scrutinize the environment. If you didn't catch the elven orb containing an ancient soul that teaches you how to be an Arcane Warrior, you were fucked. There was nothing obvious about that orb's location. Again, bringing discovery to the crawl.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The development time went into restarting production at least once. Compare the first screenshots with later stuff - they look like night and day.

The elven orb was piss easy to find, I don't remember there being anything secret or hard about finding it. I don't remember ever being stunned by dark spawn archers and the good encounters were really really rare.

Building a character isn't playing a game.

Just go here and you have just as much fun if not more than NWN2 offers: http://www.d20srd.org/
I guess you love Diablo 3 then, they even removed the hassle of pressing that one + button next to your primary ability.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first screenshots weren't even "real", they were a mock-up made in the NWN engine.

The funny thing about DA:O's character system is that D:OS is a far-better execution of what Bioware was trying to accomplish only without being hamstrung by Infinity Engine limitations and big budget expectations. :)

Telengard

Arcane
Not BG, not BG2, not Kotor2, not MotB, not NWN2, not SoZ but thanks for trolling.
NWN2 and MotB both follow the same hub design of all Bioware games, going all the way back. NWN2 included a hammy writer that very badly wanted to be with Bioware, which is something I noticed right off the bat, despite borrowing the discs and not knowing who made it, so much so that I was later quite surprised to learn the game was actually made by Obsidian.

Obsidian can write better villains than Bioware, but they don't always do so, as evidenced by NWN2, where the villain "surprise" is the same ass-pull that Bioware uses in every game, usually multiple times each game. The list of companions that want to fuck you in NWN2 was exactly equal to the number in DAO, but two options got cut in classic Obsidian fashion, with parts of the dialogue still there in the game, just leading nowhere. Same with KotOR 2.

The design philosophy of NWN2 and DAO share a certain commonality of structure and placement. KotOR2 I don't remember well enough, but I remember it as only sharing dungeon design elements with earlier titles.

And all this is from someone who cannot abide DAO.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I think you missed the point. I wasn't arguing that those games have none of the elements I criticized in my earlier post.

You just described every game made by Bioware/Obsidian.

Dragonul09 was trolling by claiming that every Bio and Obsidian game had ALL the same flaws that DAO had. Reading comprehension please.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
E3 trailer:

edit: replaced it with the one from official channel.

And yeah, console release announced.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
...at least they dropped the classic RPG from their marketing and are now calling it EPIC RPG. So EPIC, look at my epic special effects and EPIC companions and EPIC DM mode!
I will laugh when it is a EPIC failure as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://swordcoast.com/content/sword-coast-legends-coming-xbox-one-and-playstation®4

We're excited to announce that Sword Coast Legends will now officially release on September 8, 2015, while today's newly announced Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game will become available late 2015.

"We've had a clear goal since day one to evoke the classic D&D experience between four players and a Dungeon Master, and to bring back memories of the great D&D games of the past," said Dan Tudge, President of n-Space and Director for Sword Coast Legends. "After we announced and demonstrated Sword Coast Legends to overwhelmingly positive response at GDC, the press, partners, and fans all requested more. They wanted Mac, so we're doing it. They wanted Linux, so we're doing it. They clamored for console... so we circled back and figured out how to do it without compromising our vision for PC gamers. This addition to our existing PC, Mac and Linux versions ensures gamers will be able to have that classic D&D experience whenever, wherever and however they want."

"We love that Sword Coast Legends delivers the authentic D&D experience by letting friends tell great fantasy stories together", said Nathan Stewart, brand director of Dungeons & Dragons. "With Sword Coast Legends being available on so many platforms, it doesn't matter if you game on a couch, at the kitchen table or your desk -- you'll be able to join your party for some glorious D&D dungeon delves."

Sword Coast Legends presents the most true-to-form representation of classic tabletop adventuring ever realized in a cooperative multiplayer video game. The game's highly innovative Dungeon Master Mode introduces players to an entirely new way to play Dungeons & Dragons with a real-time, active and reactive Dungeon Master in cooperative multiplayer sessions and campaigns.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space

darthaegis

Cipher
Sword Coast Legends presents the most true-to-form representation of classic tabletop adventuring ever realized in a cooperative multiplayer video game.
Aren't the rules a bastardized version of DnD 5E (spells progressing like "Ray of Frost II", for example)?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Weasel
"They clamored for console... so we circled back and figured out how to do it without compromising our vision for PC gamers. "

:lol: This guy is like the comical Ali of popamole.

I remember when this was first announced and I spent some time on their forums looking for info, there were already threads speculating about the console release (given the blatant consolised inventory, pace of akshun and 4 pc party size) but they refused to answer questions on it while making vague mentions of pc-exclusivity and racking up preorders from pc gamers.

:hero:

imweasel

T3P2nJX.jpg

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index...d-pre-orders-now-available-for-steam-and-ps4/

They've been bullshitting us all along. ^^

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I hope they sink, and hard.
LOL at the outage. Did anyone here actually doubt that they'd release it on consoles too?

Sure, like a year after the initial PC release or something like that. Now this just proves that they are nothing but a bunch of con-artists.

I'm not butthurt, how non-d&d like SCL was going to be was revealed long time ago, but this is just comedy gold.

Whiran

Magister
'...the necromancer with a heart of gold'.
If I were a necromancer I'd love to have a heart or two of gold.

Imagine the gifting potential to your fellow necromancers?

Deathday gift? Heart of gold!

It's like perfect.

Modron

Arcane
'...the necromancer with a heart of gold'.

:0-13:

They failed to turn that dial up to eleven how hard would it have been to take it one step further "...the drow necromancer with a heart of gold". I mean that shit practically writes itself...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom