Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Halflings get more than enough strength in all D&D iterations to lift such a weapon. They're just barred from it anyways in some, but not in recent ones if they have Monkey Grip.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^ Halflings get more than enough strength in all D&D iterations to lift such a weapon. They're just barred from it anyways in some, but not in recent ones if they have Monkey Grip.
Think nwn and 2 had such restrictions. Also, doesn't Monkey Grip merely allow you to use 2h weapons in one-hand? That's what the description seems to say.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Think nwn and 2 had such restrictions. Also, doesn't Monkey Grip merely allow you to use 2h weapons in one-hand? That's what the description seems to say.

Nope. Basically:

Without the feat Monkey Grip a Medium creature attempting to wield a Large weapon...
  • wields a Large light weapon as a one-handed weapon and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
  • wields a Large one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
  • can't wield a Large two-handed weapon at all.
With the feat Monkey Grip a Medium creature attempting to wield a Large weapon...
  • wields a Large light weapon as a light weapon and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
  • wields a Large one-handed weapon as a one-handed weapon and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
  • wields a Large two-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon and suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
So as I understand it, a Halfling with Monkey Grip would wield a Medium two-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon and suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

Lhynn

Arcane
SCL_Jarhild_Armored_ConceptPage_640.jpg
SCL_Bryn_ConceptPage_640.jpg

Would tap, totally would. Goes for both.

Shevek

Arcane
This game looks like crappy action shit. Its basically a Dark Alliance clone right?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Recent", lol. Monkey Grip is a 3rd ed thing, two editions and a decade and a half ago.

That sword looks like a regular longsword to me, something a halfling is perfectly capable of wielding in two hands in both the current and previous edition.

Edit: Also worked fine in AD&D now that i think about it.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

If this doesn't look like a Dragon Age Origins clone, I don't know what does.

However...if the mechanics provide a decent amount of depth, companions aren't ubber annoying and the plot is not 100% utterly retarded...I'd give it a try, why not? (I enjoyed DA:O, so there is that).

Side note: seems like enjoying DA:O on the Codex is like banging the fat chick from school. You might enjoy it, you might TOTALLY do it again, but don't tell anyone, else the other kids at school will make fun of you for doing the very same thing they either did or seriously considered doing.

ArchAngel

Arcane

If this doesn't look like a Dragon Age Origins clone, I don't know what does.

However...if the mechanics provide a decent amount of depth, companions aren't ubber annoying and the plot is not 100% utterly retarded...I'd give it a try, why not? (I enjoyed DA:O, so there is that).

Side note: seems like enjoying DA:O on the Codex is like banging the fat chick from school. You might enjoy it, you might TOTALLY do it again, but don't tell anyone, else the other kids at school will make fun of you for doing the very same thing they either did or seriously considered doing.
If you still believe this you have not been following news about this game here for the last few months.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No, I haven't. Sorry, can't read like 40 pages during work shift. There is only so much trolling one can do before getting into trouble. So the game will be a dumbed down DAO?

Delterius

Arcane
No, I haven't. Sorry, can't read like 40 pages during work shift. There is only so much trolling one can do before getting into trouble. So the game will be a dumbed down DAO?
Its mostly the disappointment that this D&D property goes out of its way towards simplification. The rules system will definitely be closer to DAO as opposed to BG. Not to mention WoTC 10 year old hatred of TB combat.

As far as Sword Coast Legends stands on its own, think railroaded NwN module with a human DM who throws shit on the way. Which might be pretty cool after all but most likely will be bogged down by the engine, rules system and casual gaming. Fun fac: the DM is penalized by party failure, which means that the focus will not be on groups of friends and LAN gaming, rather anonymous matchmaking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heeeeeeey guys:

Independent developers n-Space and Digital Extremes announced today that Hollywood Music Award-winning and two-time BAFTA nominated composer Inon Zur is composing the original score for the studios’ upcoming Sword Coast Legends™, a party-based PC RPG set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe from Wizards of the Coast. Known for powerful and melodic orchestrations, Zur’s critically acclaimed scores have been heard in some of the most popular and well regarded video games of all time, including Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale II, Fallout 3, EverQuest and many others.

Recorded in Prague, the Czech Republic by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, the rich orchestral soundtrack for Sword Coast Legends helps bring the game’s numerous, well-known, and highly varied locations, environments and encounters to life from the raw emotion captured in Luskan Streets, to the uneasy anticipation of the Evermoors, and the heroic main theme. The official orchestral soundtrack for Sword Coast Legends will be available with the game later this year.

“Throughout his career, Inon’s music has been integral to many of the game industry’s most memorable experiences and has raised the bar on what we expect from a video game score today. His ability to capture the player’s experience through his music is second to none,” said Dan Tudge, President of n-Space and Director of Sword Coast Legends. “It’s wonderful to see Inon return to Dungeons & Dragons and the Forgotten Realms setting, where I’m confident our deep story, compelling characters, and rich environments will inspire one of Inon’s most memorable works to date.”

Archangel: With the success of Pillars of Eternity (and other real old school KS RPGs) have you considered making the gameplay more classic RPG based?

Tim: Our primary goal is to create a game that captures the fun of playing tabletop D&D with friends and a Dungeon Master. Even though we have modernized some features, you'll certainly see the influence of the older games in SCL.

Points for not mentioning PoE in his answer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Archangel: With the success of Pillars of Eternity (and other real old school KS RPGs) have you considered making the gameplay more classic RPG based?

Tim: Our primary goal is to create a game that captures the fun of playing tabletop D&D with friends and a Dungeon Master. Even though we have modernized some features, you'll certainly see the influence of the older games in SCL.

Nice, my question got answered (I forgot by now I asked it lol). But I see they used their standard PR talk to do it :(

Athelas

Arcane

This might shock you, but human beings usually don't tend to repeat (part of) the question they were asked verbatim when answering said question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom